How do you keep carbs down?!

Options
snoweduponberries
snoweduponberries Posts: 24 Member
edited August 2019 in Social Groups
For my weight/activity/weight loss goals, my recommendations are carbs 30g, protein 92g, fat 151g. I haven’t started eating yet today… I tried playing with and creating my menu and diet last night on MFP. I can’t for the life of me keep my carbs down unless I cut out my vegetables. And I can’t seem to get the fat up. I tried adding bacon, olive oil, pecans, and avocado to the menu just to increase fat and it’s not enough. My numbers are currently net 49g carbs, 162g protein, 98g fat. I feel like keto is impossible unless I eat a bunch of non-foods like butter and oil. And cut out vegetables and meat. The Diet I created is all whole foods, no fruit, with the exception of a 1/2tbsp lite mayo, and tzatziki. So… Help?

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Your current numbers are fine.
    You don’t need to eat all that fat. It can actually prevent fat loss if that’s your goal.
    Keto is achieved by restricting carbs. Not by eating fat.
  • booksnbrains
    booksnbrains Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Also - make sure you’re looking at net carbs instead of total carbs. High fiber vegetables are good for you for a number of reasons, but that fiber gives them a high number of total grams from carbohydrates.
    Personally, I avoid high starch vegetables like potatoes and peas, but mostly have vegetables at every meal.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Second above, net carbs, I eat veggies almost daily and some fruits and still come in under 20-25 net carb grams.

Even when I eat mostly all meat, my fat grams are usually still higher. Because fat has more calories per gram than protein. And I do cook in olive oil and add cheeses, to get more calories in... Both do up my fat intake.

My diet since starting is: as much meat as I can intake with a side or two of veggies, fill in other calories with olive oil, butter, and cheeses.

I usually opt for the fattier cuts of meats like ribeye and chicken thigh. But also eat leaner cuts, sirloin and chicken breast.

I like to snack on cherries, unsweetened peanut butter, cherry tomatoes, avocado, boiled eggs, bites of meat (even deli meats especially with cream cheese), cheeses, nuts are great (but I can't have them).

Tuna salad was a staple in the beginning for protein, but we got sick of it. Olive oil mayo, can of tuna, 2 to 3 boiled eggs, lemon pepper, salt and pepper.

My daughter and my boyfriend love their protein bars...I've been trying very hard to avoid, but have caved a time or two...

Keto is much simpler than the internet makes it out to be. Good luck.