Calories

rhayes57
rhayes57 Posts: 11 Member
I started following a low carb/high fat meal plan about 3 weeks ago. My fiance and I started using Atkins but then I converted to Keto. I virtually have lost no weight. I rarely reach my calorie allotment each day. I remain within the guidelines regarding fat and protein. Could the fact that I am not reaching 1200 calories each day be a detriment to my weight loss and the reason why I have seen little to no change? I can't figure out how to raise my calorie intake each day. Thank you for your help.

Replies

• Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    In my honest opinion, aasiest way to add calories is through oils.

I add a tbsp of olive oil and real butter to about everything I cook. That's 200-220 calories alone.

I also find it easier to eat larger meal early and lighter dinner. This doesn't work for everyone, but I've been getting more calories in much easier since doing this.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You don't have your diary open and you didn't actually provide any details regarding your goals in terms of macros, so it's difficult to give you any specific advice.

That being said - stress is a major cause of inflammation and water retention, so the fact that you have changed your food intake AT ALL, can definitely be a cause for the scale to kind of freeze...any fat you are losing can easily be replaced by water you are retaining so the scale just sits there.

I suggest you take measurements as well as tracking the scale - you might see changes to measurements even when the scale is stubborn.

I also suggest you get at least 100g of protein a day.

If you are trying to lose fat, then you don't really need to eat high fat, your body already has access to the fat on you and you can metabolize about 1% body fat each week, so you can adjust your fat intake accordingly.

For getting more calories in general, look for calorie dense foods like nuts or nut butters, dairy, eggs, etc. Foods that have a lot of calories, but don't necessarily take up a lot of room in your stomach.

As a general rule you aren't going to hit hormone issues until your intake is super low for about 6 weeks, so at this point it's unlikely the low intake is causing you a problem beyond water retention. Hopefully your appetite will return to normal as you complete adaptation to the new food plan.
  • rhayes57
    rhayes57 Posts: 11 Member
    Your answer is very insightful - thank you. My fiance and I are measuring ourselves and we have both lost inches. Patience is a virtue I guess!