Saturated fat

Options
prowell57
prowell57 Posts: 140 Member
Since being on keto my saturated fats seem really high. I've always understood that these kinds of fat are bad for you, can cause high cholesterol etc.. what is yall's take on this? Is there any way to do keto and not have high saturated fat levels?

Replies

• TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi @prowell57 , Respectfully, you might want to do more research on the Ketogenic diet and how and why it works, i.e. fueling your body with fat. There are some great books on Amazon, also try following @keto.conect & @alimillerrd on IG.
    So much of what we've been told over the decades is just plain wrong -about fats especially.
    I won't get into the science that supports saturated fats being good, because ain't nobody got time to read a novella on this thread!
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    The saturated fats that I see on my diary come mainly from coconut oil and real butter. So, I don't worry about it.

I'm always over on saturated fats. But when I researched into keto and cardiovascular health (history of heart failure), the research and studies I found, the patients increased saturated fats, but it didn't have any negative effects on their blood work or blood pressure at the 24 week check in.

I just avoid the oils and things that are listed as causing inflammation... Vegetable oils (canola, corn, safflower, peanut, shortening), most artificial sweeteners, beans, legumes, and grains.

And stick to olive oil, real butter, and coconut oil.

Could increase proteins and lower fats. I have problems doing this because of how filling proteins are.
  • prowell57
    Options
    Thank you both for your input. I was just wondering since my saturated fat has been so high. I'll definitely check into keto.conect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I highly recommend checking out Dr. Peter Attia's stuff. He's got a whole series on cholesterol, as well as a bunch of information on how the whole "saturated fat is bad" narrative came to be. Here are a couple places to start:

https://peterattiamd.com/how-did-we-come-to-believe-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-are-bad-for-us/
  • prowell57
    Options
    @Dragonwolf thank you. I'll check into Dr. Peter Attia and his findings. From what everyone has said doesn't sound like I need to be concerned.