Metabolic Health and Keto

Options
FitRican
FitRican Posts: 98 Member
I heard that a good marker for cardiovascular health is the ratio of Triglycerides/HDL. Attached is a pictures of my ratio of Triglycerides/HDL. These readings were taken on Monday lab work. Do you have any experience/knowledge or any input that you might have about the values? 46fafuvk8inx.png

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    HDL is low. Eat more animal fat.
    Truths are ok but I’ve seen it much lower on keto. Are you strict? Cheats will raise trigs
  • FitRican
    Options
    Thank you!!
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    I agree with Sunny_Bunny_, your HDL is definitely on the low side. How long have you been doing Keto? What were your numbers prior to Keto? I took a look at your diary, and don't see that you are eating any meat other than fish, is that an accurate representation? If so, are you opposed to adding more red meat, pork, and dark meat chicken?
  • FitRican
    Options
    Thank you all! I always had low (Overall, LDL, HDL) cholesterol levels period. I have been in Keto for 6 weeks now, by coincidence. I started doing Fasting and have started Keto since June. All indications are that I need more animal fat.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't any whole food fat be suitable? Like avocado, eggs, nuts, etc. You have some avocado and nuts already in your diary, maybe try increasing those? Since you like fish, maybe opt for the fattier fishes like salmon, tuna, etc?
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't any whole food fat be suitable? Like avocado, eggs, nuts, etc. You have some avocado and nuts already in your diary, maybe try increasing those? Since you like fish, maybe opt for the fattier fishes like salmon, tuna, etc?

Those are good options, but not the best sources of saturated fats. For someone that needs to get their HDL levels up, animal products are the best option, but adding more of the things you mentioned certainly couldn't hurt.
  • FitRican
    Options
    I found a few good videos on how to increase HDL. Here is one of them. https://youtu.be/FAprJVXq1fE
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    My last blood draw had TG of 91 and HDL of 44, so that gives me a ratio just over 2. My diet is umm... very high on the animal protein side of things as it is. A higher HDL would improve the ratio...
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Real Olive oil also raises HDLs.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    I went back to look at my historical numbers. Before I went keto in 2016, my TG were 252 and my HDL was 34. So the current numbers are a huge improvement. In 2016 when I got these numbers, I was on a "healthy" mostly whole foods diet that was heavy in carbs and I was losing weight, so watching calories.
  • FitRican
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I went back to look at my historical numbers. Before I went keto in 2016, my TG were 252 and my HDL was 34. So the current numbers are a huge improvement. In 2016 when I got these numbers, I was on a "healthy" mostly whole foods diet that was heavy in carbs and I was losing weight, so watching calories.

2t9nty, WOW great improvement! I have been consuming egg yolks, grass feed bacon, pork chops, and I made a point to supplement with Omega 3 oil daily.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    FitRican wrote: »

2t9nty, WOW great improvement! I have been consuming egg yolks, grass feed bacon, pork chops, and I made a point to supplement with Omega 3 oil daily.

I had never paid attention to this, so it was instructive to go back and see the improvement.