Snack and breakfast ideas

So I have a newborn baby, I’m up all hours of the night and then power napping all day with the lil nugget.
I’m struggling to get breakfast in because I’m too tired to cook until around 11am. And not to mention he goes from zero to sixty on the scream scale when he decided he needs a bottle, so I’m limited on time to myself. So I’ve started having my bacon and eggs for lunch instead.
Thoughts, should I try fasting until 11 or find an easier breakfast?

That being said, i would love some easy breakfast ideas and snack ideas for the day
I can worry about prepping great food for the week a little later when I am not so sleep deprived, but right now I just need quick. Lightning speed kind of quick.

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,517 Member
    If you aren't hungry before 11am, you do not need to eat. I never ate breakfast all through high school and college, now it just has a fancy name - Intermittent Fasting. I'm a believer in only eating when you are hungry and eating whatever you want as long as it falls within your chosen diet plan. I actually changed my meal names in the Food Diary from Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner/Snack to Meal#1/Meal#2/Meal#3/etc. Sometimes I have chicken salad for "breakfast", sometimes I have eggs for "dinner". Mainstream media has convinced every one that certain foods should only be eaten at certain times of the day and that is just not true.

For snacks, I just keep things like nuts, lunch meat, meat sticks, hard boiled eggs, cheese sticks, etc on hand, they are easy to grab and go. I usually make a big batch of chicken salad at the beginning of the week and portion it out, you can also pre-bake a few days worth of egg muffins (just egg and whatever fillings you want baked in a muffin tin), make a couple pounds of bacon at a time.

Good luck and congrats on your new little one.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    I'm going to second the boiled/peeled eggs and already sliced cheese - easy to just have in a snack bag in the fridge, grab and snack while baby is eating...you will learn to eat just about everything in the universe with one hand.

Also, sandwiches - a BLT or sausage breakfast sandwich and you can put it on lettuce or poached egg "patties" or whatever...quarter it and stick it in a sandwich bag, easy one hand grab and go eating...you can get the precooked bacon or sausage patties so that prep time is minimized if that's an issue.

The crock pot can be your best friend if you have one...throw in a whole chicken or pork/beef roast with some broth and let it just be a nice hot meal to nibble on all day and night.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    Emmapatterson1729 Posts: 1,296 Member
    edited August 2019
    Several very quick, very easy snack/meal ideas I love!

Egg, two servings of cheese, beaten together with fork, heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil or butter over med heat. Throw egg cheese mix in oil.. Let fry into a pancake type thing. Flip out onto plate (fried side up), can eat like that, or top with sour cream, fresh herbs,... Pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese... Can top with literally anything!! (Very high calorie lunch/breakfast/dinner).

Can also throw egg and cheese mix in oven on greased pizza pan or cookie sheet, 10 minutes, top like a pizza, throw back in for 5. Keto pizza!

Protein bars... Not ideal, but they have their purpose, same with meal replacement protein shakes (slim fast has a 1 net carb protein shake), again not ideal, but under your current circumstance where calories and energy are desperately needed, might use temporarily.

I like my fat bombs, literally a few minutes to make, makes 20 or more, I eat one or two a day. 2/3 cup coconut oil, 2/3 cup unsweetened peanut butter,
    2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder, can add 2-4 tbsp of Cream or half and half or coconut milk. Heat on low until all melted and mixed together, add keto friendly sweetener to your taste (I use 3-4 tbsp dry stevia in the raw). Can add 1/4 unsweetened coconut flakes for texture, put in silicone ice tray, or ice tray sprayed with non stick. Freeze, pop out, keep frozen or refrigerated.

Can add cream cheese for a raw cookie dough taste. Can add vanilla extract.

• Emmapatterson1729
    edited August 2019
    Boiled eggs, I make up 6-10 eggs, boil for 20 minutes, throw in cold water to cool quicker, peel, slice in halves, season, can eat like this.

Or pop the yolks out, put white halves aside, mix yolks with mayo, a drop of mustard, seasoning, put back into egg halves whites, stick in fridge... Deviled eggs, can eat plain or top with an avocado slice and or a cherry tomato.

Another one that doesn't take long, makes up 12-20. I eat 2-4 a day.

Also:
    I buy veggies frozen, prechopped. (Pepper mix, broccoli florets, chopped spinach, diced onions). No prep to throw in a skillet in olive oil, throw in an egg, cheese, or meat in skillet. Or frozen veggies with a piece of meat in oven with olive oil. Bake seasoned bone in chicken thighs, with frozen veggies for about an hour with butter... Throw in oven, set a timer and walk away.

Slow cooker, cheap London broil or roast in beef broth and/or salted water, slow cooker for 8 hours on low or over night, flip slow cooker to warm and snack on all day. Can also do this with boneless chicken and mushrooms.

Can add onions, green beans, any veggies (even the frozen ones) to slow cooker (crock pot).

Love leaving cream cheese on counter to soften, taking thicker deli meat (I use turkey, most use ham) . Grab butter knife, smear cream cheese on meat, roll up, easy to make one at a time or make up 4-10 at a time. I like having veggies to bite with this, avocado, olives, cherry tomatoes, etc.

Salads: left over dinner meat, thrown together with mixed greens or lettuce, prechopped slaw bag of veggies (Cole slaw mix or broccoli slaw) or pico (prechopped onions, tomato's, etc) all sold at most grocery stores in prepared produce section, cherry tomatoes, olives, boiled eggs, shredded cheese, blue cheese or feta, salad dressing. Don't have time to slice up avocado, prepared guacamole is sometimes good depending on brand or store.

I take one 8 oz block of feta or other cheese, mix with beaten egg, mix in 1/2 stick of softened butter, season, throw in greased glass shallow pyrex dish, bake 20-25 minutes, makes a delicious loaf.

Can add parmesan to this mix too.

• untrachelable
    untrachelable Posts: 135 Member
    I make an imitation of Starbucks' bacon gruyere egg bites for breakfast at the beginning of the week and just heat them up in the morning for a few minutes. I have to leave for train to work at 6am so I have no time to prep breakfast on weekdays and cant make it to lunch at noon with out food, so these help me a lot.

I just blend: 1 cup cottage cheese, 1/2 cup trader joes gruyere-cheddar cheese, 5 eggs and some salt and peppee until smooth. Then I pour into two silicone egg molds w lid, and sprinkle 1/2 cup of cooked bacon on top of them (I also put a squirt of my favorite hot sauce but that's optional) before adding lid. Then steam in my instant pot for 10 minutes w 1 cup of water on the bottom of the pot, let natural release for 10 minutes then manual release rest of pressure and take out of instant pot.
    Recipe makes 14 egg bites. When they cool, I put them in a Tupperware. Super low cal and low carb

In the morning, I just grab two and throw in my lunch box to eat later in the day when I get hungry. I eat em cold bc no time no microwave and they still taste good, but my fiance heats them up in the toaster oven and they reheat really well.
  • untrachelable
    untrachelable Posts: 135 Member
    Oh also I should add if you dont have egg molds or instant pot, you can bake in the oven in well greased muffin tray but texture will be different
  • Emmapatterson1729
    My cheese loaves need 2 beaten eggs. Thought it would work with one. Made it last night with only one egg... Turned out too dry and crumbly.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Try these egg/cheese waffles.
    0h7lusn7gfyl.jpeg

2 eggs, 1cup shredded cheese of your choice, blend.
    Pour into waffle maker.
    Makes 4 mini waffles.
    I use them for buns for sandwiches.
  • Emmapatterson1729
    0h7lusn7gfyl.jpeg

Pour into waffle maker.
    Makes 4 mini waffles.

I need to get a waffle maker... That's almost exactly what I make in the skillet for bread substitute, except skillet is a little messy and a pain in the *kitten*

Especially if I try to flip it!
  • d805
    d805 Posts: 103 Member
    0h7lusn7gfyl.jpeg

Pour into waffle maker.
    Makes 4 mini waffles.

I need to get a waffle maker... That's almost exactly what I make in the skillet for bread substitute, except skillet is a little messy and a pain in the *kitten*

Especially if I try to flip it!

I need a waffle maker too. I need to start making these. :) Check out the Facebook group Keto ChaffleHouse.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    I have a waffle maker, mind blown! Thanks Sunny_Bunny!
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    @mulder_scully06 : I dont eat breakfast, but when I do its just some boiled eggs.
    Most days I just have 2 teaspoons of MCT oil at the moment. I dont know how it works, but it keeps me feeling satisfied until about lunchtime. (I dont think its a magical power of MCT oil, it would probably also work with olive oil etc).
    If you arent hungry, just skip breakfast...
  • NCSophie
    NCSophie Posts: 20 Member
    ...Sometimes I have chicken salad for "breakfast", sometimes I have eggs for "dinner". Mainstream media has convinced every one that certain foods should only be eaten at certain times of the day and that is just not true...
    Ditto this. Don't get too hung up on trying to have "breakfast" for "breakfast". Not for everyone I'm sure, but a can of sardines in olive oil is my first meal of the day a couple times a week.

Sophie