Living the Lifestyle- Tuesday August 20, 2019

GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for June are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: What’s your Why?

I haven’t seen this topic for a while. For many of us, understanding the core reason(s) for weight loss can be empowering. One study I read found that participants who followed a weight loss program that focused on one or both of their top two reasons for weight loss had a 30% greater loss than the control group.

So, what’s your Why?

Replies

• misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,554 Member
    1) I don't feel comfortable with how my body feels. My stomach is *kitten* big, and it's just not what I want.
    2) Health numbers. My family is heart attack prone. I don't want that to be me.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,698 Member
    On the practical side, I have degenerative disc disease and a knee that is going to need to be replaced someday so less bodyweight makes these situations better and if I need back surgery, the surgeon would be reluctant to work on the spine at my current weight. I have had one heart procedure and would prefer to spare my wife another such "adventure". But really what motivates me is empowerment. To be able to feel good and be active in more ways. Weight loss is part of a bigger picture of living a healthier life with exercise, stretching and being more active. Being at a healthy weight enables me to enjoy life and do more things.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    My why was the obvious too much fat for fun and health.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,594 Member
    Good health, and looking for many more years of it.
  • steve0mania
    steve0mania Posts: 3,088 Member
    Because I felt embarrassed to be a fat guy.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Because I want to stay independent as long as possible. I saw what 100+ pounds of extra weight did to my mother's health and mobility.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    My why was because my family thought I didn’t care about myself.
    I promised I would try.

Now I promised myself I would not gain it back like I did every other time.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,338 Member
    ditto for what everyone else here has said