Living the Lifestyle- Tuesday August 27, 2019

GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for June are below:

Monday -Imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Wednesday - myallforjc (Bill)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - whathapnd (Emmie)

Today's Topic: 80% of weight loss is the food we eat. Where’s my focus?

I remember hearing this early in my weight watchers journey. I also heard that especially for men we tend to do assume the opposite, that 80% of weight loss would be exercise. For me, I can tell that my focus has again shifted to have a lead to exercise, and not enough on making sure that what I eat is healthy and sustainable.

What about you? Do you agree that 80% of weight loss is the food we eat? How would you describe where the majority of your focus is placed with regards to weight loss and/or healthy living?

Replies

• Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,594 Member
    As far a weight loss is concerned, I'm 100% food. However, for overall health, especially at my age and physical problems, I need to get back on track for exercise.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    Probably 80% to 90% is food. It is true that when we are bed-bound we burn a lot fewer calories. I think life is better when I can and do move. On maintenance it makes up for a few of the indiscretions food-wise such that I can enjoy my lifestyle.
    I did not move for the purpose of losing weight but I am sure it helped some.
    Without daily movement I would be rather depressed I think.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,698 Member
    I think it is at least 80% food. Whatever the actual ratio is, both are required to be healthy physically and emotionally/mentally. But for me it starts with food management. I am aware though there is an interaction between the two. The more active I am, the easier it is to focus on a healthy eating lifestyle. The healthier I eat, the more I want to be active, at whatever level I currently can.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,554 Member
    I do agree. I have lost weight without exercising, adding activity after I reduced my overall body weight.

IIRC, Cindy never exercised and lost a lot of weight.

It's mostly food.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited August 2019
    Exercise helps boost my mood. An improved mood leads to better food choices as well as consuming appropriate quantities. Looking back over the decades, my worst weight gains were when I was not exercising, was depressed, and was trying to use food to boost my mood.

So while I agree that weight loss/maintenance is 80-90% food, I need regular physical activity to keep my head in the right place.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    I agree but I think many newbies (especially men) think that exercise will be the 80% exercise cure.

Knowing that the Kitchen is way more important than the Gym is an important Lesson to Learn!

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,526 Member
    If weight loss happened in the gym, I wouldn’t have spent years at about 215 lbs, never would have joined WW. As soon as I started WW the problem became clear, I was eating too much.

Got this from Charlie I think- I can undo an hour at the gym in 5 min with a fork in my hand.

That said I was aided by the fact that I was a gym regular when I started WW. This was the pre- Fitbit, but even using the Stairmaster my read on it was my “workouts” were barely moderate at best. I gave up the idea of adding food based on exercise. The calculations were inexact and the temptation too great.

Lots of benefits from exercise, but for weight loss its vastly overrated. Exercise is great for our brains though.

• podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    I think too that we should worry a whole lot less about formal "exercise" and just do activity. Cindy did not do formal exercise but sure as heck walked on the beaches helping sea turtles and their nests. Our bodies don't "know" if our movement is "intentional" or not per se.
    We have injured and otherwise compromised folks as part of our WW group meeting that move a whole lot less than Cindy. It is very true that I can outeat my legs without a plan, but I wouldn't want to be couch/bedridden either.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,554 Member
    podkey wrote: »
    I think too that we should worry a whole lot less about formal "exercise" and just do activity. Cindy did not do formal exercise but sure as heck walked on the beaches helping sea turtles and their nests. Our bodies don't "know" if our movement is "intentional" or not per se.
    We have injured and otherwise compromised folks as part of our WW group meeting that move a whole lot less than Cindy. It is very true that I can outeat my legs without a plan, but I wouldn't want to be couch/bedridden either.

For me, this is the truth. I try to be active because I want to be like my in-laws were...non-stop until they hit their 90s. I absolutely want to be that person. And, especially since I have a desk heavy job, I try to get up and walk at least once an hour. I agree that movement is key.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,698 Member
    Good distinction on exercise vs activity. This summer I have been trying to make sure I am active even if I can't get a walk or exercise in. I use my fitness band for this to make sure I am not sitting too much. It has helped me quite a bit.