Sept. 2019 Gratitide and Chat

retirehappy
retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
edited September 2019 in Social Groups
Wow, September already.

This is the start of the feasting season. With a major food oriented holiday each month starting with Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and on to New Year's Day.

Is everyone starting to plan how to handle it?

I did ok for Labor Day, lost almost a lb. I'll take that.

Halloween, no candies, since you can't eat it if you don't buy it. We will be handing out glow in the dark sticks that can be made into bracelets and necklaces. We did that last year and the kids loved them. We had a bit of fun with them as well. Amazon has tons of non food options, we ordered our last year and gave away a lot and still have enough for this year as well.

Replies

• DreamOn145
    DreamOn145 Posts: 468 Member
    Good morning everyone! I do still stop in once in a while!

Yes, I have a plan on how to handle the holiday season! I am absolutely loving the Alternate Day Fasting. I am doing the plan where you eat whatever you want one day (ok, I limit mine to whatever I want in two meals (sometimes that even includes two desserts!). My husband leaves for work at noon so we have a brunch at 11 and then I eat dinner no later than 4). The next day I eat lunch around 1 and its generally a salad or homemade vegetable soup with cheese and crackers. I generally eat about 1800 calories on my UD (up day) and 500 on my DD (down day) and I am losing 3-4 lbs a month. This is after stalling out on OMAD (One meal a day) at just under two years. My 2 year anniversary on intermittent fasting found me at a loss of 85 lbs. I have been losing 3-4 lbs a month on this. I feel wonderful after both the loss and the energy that comes from fasting (once your body gets used to it) I truly hope and plan to do this for the rest of my life.

I hope everyone is doing well and getting ready for a fabulous holiday season!! If you are stalled out on other plans I heartily recommend intermittent fasting!!! Today is an up day for me so I am waiting for a cheesecake to cool!!

Janet King
  • retirehappy
    Janet, I'm in maintenance now but when I got to the last few lbs. I did serious fasting, and to keep myself in my range, I like to stay 3 lbs.under my goal wieght, I do ADF now. It is one of the easier fasting protocols. So happy you are seeing good consistant weight losses. Also glad you feel better this way as well.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Wow, September already.

This is the start of the feasting season. With a major food oriented holiday each month starting with Labor Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and on to New Year's Day.

Is everyone starting to plan how to handle it?

I did ok for Labor Day, lost almost a lb. I'll take that.

Halloween, no candies, since you can't eat it if you don't buy it. We will be handing out glow in the dark sticks that can be made into bracelets and necklaces. We did that last year and the kids loved them. We had a bit of fun with them as well. Amazon has tons of non food options, we ordered our last year and gave away a lot and still have enough for this year as well.

"Feasting Season" I like that term. I am so locked into my current post hip replacements routine that about the only thing that could knock me off is injury (so far, so good; fingers crossed) and weather! Even then, it won't be much because I have a treadmill and stepper to use if I can't get out. This is the one thing that distinquishes now from any other season. Halloween has changed so much over the years that I don't get any doorbell rings so I don't even buy any candy. I am convinced that in my current mode, I can't partake and enjoy "feasting season"! It would just be a matter of keeping it real and reasonable and staying on track exercise wise.
  • retirehappy
    I love my stepper in the winter, and I have strength training gear, TRX and regular stretchy bands. They really help me when it is just too cold outside to even take a walk.

We live in an area where kids do come around, so I had to sort out something that didn't involve candies. If it is warm weather, rare but it does happen, we can get upwards to 100 kids, they come in groups. If it is a cold Halloween we still we see about 15-25 kids, mostly with parents

You might want to decide on one food that really "means" the holiday for you, and have a little of it. Especially if you will be with family and friends on those holidays, otherwise they will bug you about not eating anything even if you have a plateful of what you normally would be eating, trust me, it happens.
  • geraldaltman
    geraldaltman Posts: 1,739 Member
    Reasonable portions, small samples. My family is pretty respectful, they would say something if I took too much as I tended too once upon a time and the bigger key is getting back to exercise right after holiday trips. I went a long time without doing that. The truth is I only expect to be at one such gathering, usually with my sister and her family at Thanksgiving. Since my parents have been deceased our family just doesn't gather in one place often beyond weddings, etc.
    As to Halloween, no my doorbell doesn't ring. If it did I might tend nowadays find, buy reduced or sugar free candy. I don't like denying others what they like or that which I don't want. It's up to parents to decide what kids can have. Otherwise, the times and the creepy people still allowed to live among us have ruined Halloween and trick or treating. Folks take their kids to organized events and other percieved safer venues because of that basically killing the "kid at heart" part of me 😥