Recommendations

Options
maiomaio71
maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
Wonder if it's ok to start a thread about things we've found that have helped us? Having ordered the Beck solution from another person's recommendation, and impatiently awaiting its arrival (I like the idea of cognitive behavioral therapy and want to explore this more) I wanted to share a book I bought at the beginning of my new lifestyle path, "Yoga for Everyone". Backstory: I have an arthritic knee, I walk but can't do much else (psoriasis means I can't swim except in the sea) so decided to give yoga a try. I initially found a good YouTube of yoga for curvy people but there were not enough sessions to keep me interested.
This book is awesome. It gives you the correct way to do the pose, and then at least three variations. The people showing the poses are all differently shaped, sized and abled. It's by Dianne Bondy and the ISBN is 978-1-4654-8077-4.
I like the way that at the back of the book she lists series of poses for specific results eg strength, before bed, relieving stress, strengthening core etc.
I've gone from managing two or three poses to completing a whole series over about three months. My balance has definitely improved as has my core strength.
Disclaimer:I am in no way associated with the author nor do I benefit from sales of the book!

Replies

• kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. Would it be good for someone with weak ankles? I always seem to be twisting them so I'm hoping to find some exercises to build up some strength.
  • maiomaio71
    Options
    I think so. The variations give you options to adapt the poses. I sometimes adapt them further until I can do them properly. Seeing the different adaptations give you ideas to change each pose. Using chairs, bands, blocks, books, walls etc.
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll check it out!😊
  • motis3678
    motis3678 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Great idea for a thread maiomaio71! I have something I can definitely recommend:

Yasso frozen yogurt bars, a treaty dessert bar. It tastes like ice cream to me, which is important because I don't usually enjoy frozen yogurt. They are 80-100 calories per bar depending on the flavor. I really like the chocolate chip cookie dough one and the fudge brownie one. You will not confuse it with a DQ Blizzard, but it's definitely worth the price and the calorie 'price'.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Tried the Halo ice cream last night....the entire pint container had 280 calories....I am not a big ice cream eater but I thought it was good....I had the caramel mariacho....Publix had them on sale BOGO....I also got the mint chocolate chip....I would buy them again especially if you love ice cream...
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Also had the Sargento Balanced Snacks....at 190 calories it really satisfies on a lot of levels....sweet,salty and protein.....I really like the white chocolate chip ones and the one with almonds...theta are in the meat case or close to the yogurt and cheese area....every store keeps moving them!
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ice cream recommendation, definitely one of my weaknesses is mint chocolate chip ice cream.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Chobani peanut butter flip Greek yogurt.....all I can say is OMG and I am buying more tomorrow!
  • jenconv
    jenconv Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    @maiomaio71 I’ve ordered the yoga book you recommended hopefully it will be here at the weekend. I’ve always wanted to do yoga but I’m too nervous to join a class in case I can’t do it and make a fool of myself. Hopefully I’ll be able to get up to speed using the variations and I might make attending a class early next year one of my fitness/function goals 😀
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    jenconv wrote: »
    @maiomaio71 I’ve ordered the yoga book you recommended hopefully it will be here at the weekend. I’ve always wanted to do yoga but I’m too nervous to join a class in case I can’t do it and make a fool of myself. Hopefully I’ll be able to get up to speed using the variations and I might make attending a class early next year one of my fitness/function goals 😀

I've made such a spectacle of myself in exercise classes but I've noticed that most people are to into their own work out to pay attention to anybody else.

I joined a hot yoga class once that I thought was for beginners - it was not. Not being able to keep up was one thing but because it was hot yoga I was slipping and sliding all over the mat. At one ppoint the instructor told us to freestyle and do our favorite yoga poses. I laid down on the mat. lol.

After the class a few people came up to me and said I did good and to keep it up. I know they were trying to be encouraging...but...but..well it sort of bugged me.
  • maiomaio71
    Options
    I hope you like the book! I found it really useful... especially with showing how to adapt poses. I've come a long way since I started in March but still got much more to learn... especially strength and balance. Balance has been slow in improving but it's definitely better than it was.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    This weekend I wrote a dozen inspirational quotes on sticky notes and put them inside my cabinet doors....they help remind me that I can do this!...I also noticed other members of the family reading them...win and win idea!
  • Satisfiedwithbetter
    Options
    This weekend I wrote a dozen inspirational quotes on sticky notes and put them inside my cabinet doors....they help remind me that I can do this!...I also noticed other members of the family reading them...win and win idea!

I do this! I think it helps a lot! The mind is so powerful. What we feed it is so important!
  • hansep0012
    hansep0012 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    My yoga story: Like many folks I can be a bit self conscious about tight fitting clothing, a new challenge (yoga) and a bunch of strangers. I figured the answer was to pick up a $3 beginner video and sure enough, Saturday morning rolled around and I laid down the yoga mat and started the video while my husband was out running an errand.

Within minutes I was down on the floor on all fours when the dogs wandered into my craft room to check out the activity. Yup, each of the three dogs gave me a look and without warning started barking, prancing, jumping and delightfully ducking and bowing as if inviting me to play.

My husband, having come home from his errand, looked at our energetic dogs and then to his wife. I was laughing so hard that tears were streaming from my eyes and I couldn't catch my breath, he shook his head and quietly left the room.