Live the Lifestyle Friday the Thirteenth!

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.p0

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday - imastar2 (Derrick)
Tuesday - 88olds (George)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Jimb376mfp (Jim)

Today’s Topic: Past, Present, and Future to Reacting a Weight Gain.

I saw a WW member on Connect crying in their car because the scale went up on her third WI. She was ready to quit.

How do you react to gaining at WI?
I say Past, Present and Future because I have been reacting since 2013!

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Options
    Past: Frustration, disappointment, guilt, pissed off!

Present: Examine what I ate last week, how much did I get out and move, I know that sometimes it just is bad timing to the body functions.

Future: I don’t get upset just insure that the trend to go up will NOT continue over time. Stop the rising tide before the flood is too late.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,539 Member
    Options
    I generally know what to expect before most WIs so the reaction, if any, is somewhat muted. In earlier days I was a bit more intense and while I did not cry, I did calculate how this would hit my projected timeline for weight loss. Now it is more know what if anything may have caused it (usually my behavior) and what I need to do differently. I think when I first started almost 20 years ago, I had a long way to go which forced more of a long term view. I knew it was going to take a long time to get to goal.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,213 Member
    Options
    I spent a couple of years weighing each morning, then tracking that info. The thing that I realized is that weight fluctuates on a daily basis, and it doesn't always have a real explanation that is readily available. That was really eye opening for me. But, what I noticed was the downward trend, and I realized that is what counted.

The Trend. That is the key. Individual weigh-ins are just that - a specific moment in time. But, a compilation of individual weigh-ins provides a picture. The picture is what tells the story. It is all about the trend.

• Jimb376mfp
    Options
    @misterhub
    Agre
    I remember we had a GoaD who would post a our weight once s month to track the Trend. It taught me that day to day. Even week to week could be a false picture but the monthly trend to lose weigh adds up after 12 months.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    @misterhub - I'm a trend follower as well as I weigh daily and use Happy Scale.

This morning I flipped off the scale. But it was just telling me what I already knew - that I've been soothing the work stress of the past 4 weeks with too many snacks.

In the past (years ago) an upward trend would lead me to just not get on the scale which only made it go up even more!

In the present, I still will sometimes make rude gestures to the scale but I know what is causing the issue.

Hopefully in the near future or at least BEFORE the end of this semester (13 weeks to go, not that I'm counting), the trendline will be going back downward.

I stayed on track today in spite of a very hectic day at work. But the hectic part was physical so that helped me stay away from the snacks because I was so busy with the task at hand.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,468 Member
    Options
    When in losing mode, by the time I got around to posting a modest gain, I had such a string of losses that a .4lb uptick didn’t throw me off my game. And I had watch the regular stream of folks derailed by WI disappointment. And a lot of that disappointment was the result of losses that weren’t enough, not gains.

They way our brains wreck programs is just a rich and deap mine. Fascinating.

Now the red line is 170 lbs. That’s where tracking restarts. It’s not like any of it comes as a surprise?

• Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,700 Member
    Options
    In the past only weighed on at WW. Now. Not doing WW. I weigh each morning and take an ave. Of my weight over past weeks
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,947 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily, and record it and my FBL in Excel. Still weekly at my WW meeting.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,083 Member
    Options
    I think for me one of the advantages of daily weighing is that it takes some of the sting out of unknowns. While losing I weighed daily toward the end and just used average weight of at least 4 days to see the trends. YES I DO have the emotions when I weigh and that hasn't changed in the past of present. I never have the severe emotions some express or quit.