Eating healthy on a budget

Options
niaogc
niaogc Posts: 3 Member
Heya,

I'm trying to loose weight but on a low budget (£10/week).

Tried lots of stuff like fasting diets and similar things, which help a little but I always seem to put the weight back on.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes for someone trying to start loosing?

Thanks 😊

Replies

• samandheatherdover
    Options
    Beans, brown rice, boiled eggs, egg whites, bananas, apples, grapes...etc

Egg whites with grits
    Crock pot beans
    Small fruit salads
    Veggie pasta chicken noodle soup
    Veggie pasta with tuna
    Grilled chicken (a portion is 4 oz, its $2 a lb here, .50 portions)
  • Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel
    Slinky_BraveHeartBunsOfSteel Posts: 10,891 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    niaogc wrote: »
    Heya,

I'm trying to loose weight but on a low budget (£10/week).

Tried lots of stuff like fasting diets and similar things, which help a little but I always seem to put the weight back on.

Does anyone have any tips or recipes for someone trying to start loosing?

Thanks 😊

Try to find out what time your supermarket starts marking prices down. If you're lucky you can get meat, vegetables, fruit etc.. really cheaply. The food will be on its last day of the use by date, but you just need to freeze it straight away then defrost when needed. I've had bags loads of stuff for just a few £'s before. :wink:
  • basilandbalm
    basilandbalm Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Use the freezer. Cook a bag of dried beans on a lazy Sunday (I don’t even soak them, just set them for a long simmer with maybe a bit of onion, a stock cube, and a bay leaf if I have it). Many hours later, when meltingly tender, portion into Tupperware and freeze. Far more delicious than canned beans

Rice can be bought cheaply, cooked in bulk, pressed into 1/2 or 1 cup servings and frozen for later

This makes the base of a delicious Buddha bowl with whatever odds and ends of veg you find cheap at the market. Can be made into soup. The beans can be puréed into refried beans for a burrito or mock hummus for snacks

These are my favorite cheap staples but the principle applies to anything you can buy cheap, cook in bulk, freeze, and piece together later. Just takes a bit of thought and planning
  • ReReNotMe
    ReReNotMe Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Fresh veges can be expensive for how fast they go out of date. I'm also broke and only really cook for myself. I buy fresh veges, cut them up and freeze them for later. It helps save waste and cut with prep time whenever I wanna make a quick and cheap soup, stir fry or sauce and keeps them fresh for longer so I'm not buying even more.

I also freeze my bread so it lasts longer.

Just freeze everything tbh.