How many net carbs is your "low carb"?

Options
snha
snha Posts: 388 Member
I am trying to get a sense of what people think of when they say low carb. In terms of net carbs, how many is low? I am trying to decide that for myself. I have been anywhere between 30 and 80.

Replies

• tifano
    tifano Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I've been keto for nearly 3 years and personally I wouldn't exceed 20 NET carbs. I personally wouldn't exceed 40 total carbs.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    for me it has been 100 or less.
  • shelbydodgeguy
    shelbydodgeguy Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    Anywhere between 15 - 25 is what I try to stay around. Occasionally I have an off day and ease up around 30 - 40 now that I'm at a normal weight.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Here's a good thread to give you a wider range of experiences: https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10755309/what-is-a-good-number-of-carbs/p1
  • yuko0407
    yuko0407 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Less than 50g/day most of the time for me.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    I keep mine under 20 net.
  • petitchatnoir41
    petitchatnoir41 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Up to 30 carbs a meal. I'm diabetic and I found too low of carbs a day *for me* makes my blood sugar go low. :'(
  • snha
    Options
    If you don't mind me asking, since am a fellow diabetic :(, is that because you take meds besides metformin? I was prescribed glipizide and felt awful because my BG was going low (had to eat sugar) and then going up (had to take glipizide). I quit the med and my sugar does not go too low at all. Might be a different personal experience!
    Up to 30 carbs a meal. I'm diabetic and I found too low of carbs a day *for me* makes my blood sugar go low. :'(
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I try for 20 NET max daily.
    However... just today, I ran into a slight calculating problem:
    My physician recently suggested I take a fiber supplement which has 17g of fiber per dose (once daily) and has 0 cals & 0 carbs. So do I factor the additional 17g of fiber into my Net carbs or maybe not add it at all to my food diary, so as to get an accurate carb vs. fiber count coming from all foods/beverages consumed???
  • kiddycat73
    kiddycat73 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    My physician recently suggested I take a fiber supplement which has 17g of fiber per dose (once daily) and has 0 cals & 0 carbs. So do I factor the additional 17g of fiber into my Net carbs or maybe not add it at all to my food diary, so as to get an accurate carb vs. fiber count coming from all foods/beverages consumed???

No, I don’t think it works that way with supplements. I wouldn’t add it.
  • TheMerryMermaid
    TheMerryMermaid Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    @kiddycat73 Thank you! I didn't think it worked that way, but it threw me off. <3
  • snha
    Options
    I agree with @kiddycat73 Interesting, I wouldn't count those in the net carbs though.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    20 Net is my goal
  • nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    20 net is my goal too - some days a bit over but I don't freak about it
  • voncovenhoven
    voncovenhoven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I shoot for 20g/day. If it’s 25 I don’t freak. I’ve stopped loosing weight though. Something is wrong. My numbers are good, mostly 5/20/75. Idk what’s wrong. I’m ranging between 1200 and 1400 cal/day. Maybe I need to focus on lower calories too. I lost 20 in 4 weeks, weeks 5-10 nothing. Any advice?
  • snha
    Options
    That is amazing because it's exactly what I've been going through. I lost 20 in 4 weeks too and got stuck since then. It's been the same number of weeks. I started on July 12, lost quickly and then plateaued. Hmm. I checked things out and supposedly it sometimes has to do with eating less than your body needs: if you eat more you will loose more. almost like the body is in defensive/starvation mode--much more careful about spending the little energy it has! I don't know. It's been truly frustrating. But, I have a somewhat healthy attitude this time: I am in it for years, not days or weeks. I don't need the immediate gratification of loosing very quickly. So, I am riding this plateau out and we'll see what it brings. If you have suggestions, please let me know. I am definitely all ears on this one :neutral:
    I shoot for 20g/day. If it’s 25 I don’t freak. I’ve stopped loosing weight though. Something is wrong. My numbers are good, mostly 5/20/75. Idk what’s wrong. I’m ranging between 1200 and 1400 cal/day. Maybe I need to focus on lower calories too. I lost 20 in 4 weeks, weeks 5-10 nothing. Any advice?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Fiber is a carb, so if it's 17g of fiber it has to be 17g of carbs, for a net zero carbs...right?
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options

FWIW, I lost 135 lbs, and I have been in maintenance since July of last year. I had some long plateaus in there and then things would pick up again. Maintenance for me is 1600 cal a day, and all the charts and calculators suggest it should be 2100. I am feeling great, and so I am running with what works. Maybe 1300 is your maintenance?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Around 100.
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    Options

Add a few hundred calories per day for a few weeks and see what happens. I’ve experienced this as well and my weight loss zone is 1,600 - 1,800 calories per day on average. Less and I don’t lose and I’ll tend to feel tired. I was at 1,500 calories per day but I lose more weight and feel better at 1,600 - 1,800 calories per day. Actually if I have one day a week that I go to 2,000 calories it doesn’t hurt me. It all depends on how active you are and your metabolism.