Advice please

Options
I had bypass on 29th July. Supposed to be 2 days in hospital - turned into nearly 6 weeks! Leaks in pouch led to multiple infections. I was fed intravenously for most of the time and tbh, those weeks are a bit of a blur of MRIs, CT scans, etc. When I was eventually allowed to eat, the surgeons said that as it was so long since the operation I should be able to eat what I wanted. My first "meal" was on a Wednesday, by the Thursday evening they were expecting me to eat a pureed meal and then discharged me on the Friday because I had kept it down (despite being in considerable pain with dumping syndrome although I didn't know that was what it was).

I continued eating soft foods and suffering 2 weeks. Eventually, my husband researched on the web and found out that it was dumping syndrome and I went back to "eating" clear fluids last week and this week I'm on to free fluids. Next week it's on up to purees.

Has anyone else had these kind of problems?

I felt the hell I went through with the infections was bad enough but now I'm wondering if this hell of not being able to eat anything will ever get any better.

Replies

• HLaR79
    HLaR79 Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    That sounds awful! I dont have any advice but just wanted to say hang in there! Hopefully it gets better
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry!! That would be terrible!!

Dumping Syndrome is AWFUL. I'd suggest when you do move onto puree again, that you AVOID all startches, bread, pasta, rice, oatmeal, anything carb. and avoid fatty foods. High carb and high fat tend to be what makes me dump. :(

Good luck, and hang in there! ((hugs))