This October I Will...

Options

Replies

• TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,610 Member
    Options
    @cpanus I am loving hearing about Bean's adventures! I have a husky who I don't walk very often (he has a huge yard to play in, so he burns off plenty of energy!) but I know that I walk a lot faster when he's with me - because he is practically dragging me behind him!! I think I'd prefer if he just wanted to sniff at everything and walk a bit slower :)
    1. My goal for this month: This October I will spend at least 15 minutes a day on cleaning and tidying my house.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal are to set aside time in the evenings just for cleaning, and develop a list of the bigger tasks that need doing (like cleaning windows).
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit is to make sure it's done before going to bed.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)? Daily!
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will immediately notice the cleaner house, and will also place a sticker in my planner once completed.
    6. What help do you need from us? Just some support and any helpful cleaning tips!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? A nice, clean house that is functional because it is tidied regularly!

I will use βœ… for days I did 15mins of cleaning, and ❌ for days that I didn't.

1/10 βœ…
    2/10 βœ…
    3/10 βœ…
    4/10 ❌ (Friday night, just felt like chilling out!)
    5/10 βœ…
    6/10 βœ…
    7/10 βœ…
    8/10 ❌ (Visited a friend to deliver a huge basket of baby goodies before her baby shower this weekend, and had my mum and sister visiting, so I just didn't make the time today)
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi all, sorry I've been AWOL.
    I am going to repeat my September goal with a few tweaks.

1. This October I will get more organized/keep a tidier house.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal do a morning routine and evening routine which includes 15 minutes of tidying. I'm adding in an afternoon routine which I can add to either my morning or evening routines depending on my work schedule.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. Getting up in morning - make bed and dress to shoes.
    4. How often will you do your new habit - daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Pat on the back and brag to show off tidier spaces.
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? My whole house will be cleaner - getting to those long deferred chores. Tidy Husband will be happier. I will feel accomplished and a lot happier.

@TwistedSassette , I like you checklist, so I’m going to copy it.

Oct 1 - Tuesday routines done βœ… Deferred maintenance- took down one filthy valance (will replace when I get it finished).
    Oct 2 - Wednesday routines done βœ… cooking and took down another valance
    Oct 3 - Thursday routines done grocery shopping dusted and dust mopped
    Oct 4 - Friday routines more shopping- made a valance. πŸ˜‡
    Oct 5 - Saturday abbreviated routines - bought new dancing shoes πŸ‘  and went to a ball.
    Oct 6 - Sunday- REST ( really needed it after dancing for hours the night before) Still did full evening routine to be ready for Monday morning.

Here’s a picture of my sister and me before the ball. cr9ypa83qq94.jpeg
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    So far, so good! I’ve combined a few self care things and it seems to be helping me get out of this funk...

1. My goal for this month -- This October I will take 30 minutes every day to do some sort of self-care.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will use whatever is at my disposal and switch it up...Calm app, bubble bath, sewing machine, book, walk outside with my fur baby, mani/pedi, and/or journal.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - I have created a recurrent appointment in my phone calendar that will pop up and remind me at 6:15 p.m. every day that it is self-care time. It will also pop up on my Apple watch if I'm not near my phone at the time.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): This will take place at 6:15 p.m. daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? The act of self-care will be my immediate reward, A quieter mind at night and maybe a sense of peace.
    6. What help do you need from us? Nudges or self-care ideas if you can see I'm struggling.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? If I am successful, work will not be as stressful. I will not cry several times a day for no apparent reason. I will no longer try carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. I will not feel such darkess. And I will NOT feel sorry for myself.

However, I will be happy, smiling and back to my old self.

If I can do this, I will buy myself a 60-minute massage package at the Day Spa.

Walk dog. πŸ‘ŸπŸ•
    Podcast: 🎢
    Shower/bath: πŸ›
    Gratitude Journal: ✍🏼
    Read: πŸ“–
    De clutter: πŸ—‘
    Movie: πŸ“Ί
    Early to bed/nap: πŸ›
    Mani/pedi: πŸ’…

10/6: 🎢. πŸ›. ✍🏼. πŸ“–. πŸ’…πŸΌπŸ“Ί
    10/7: πŸ‘ŸπŸ•. 🎢 πŸ› ✍🏼 πŸ“–
    10/8: πŸ‘ŸπŸ• 🎢 πŸ› ✍🏼 πŸ“–.

• uniquesarahjane
    uniquesarahjane Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    This october I will eat better and do more walking I have been eating alot of junk food and been kidding myself that I'm healthy so time to get healthy and motivate myself its going to be hard but I can do this.
  • texasgardnr
    texasgardnr Posts: 2,660 Member
    Options
    @TwistedSassette, look at all of those βœ… you are getting! Very tidy indeed πŸ‘!!

@77tes, such a gorgeous picture! You ladies look so lovely going off to the ball πŸ’! I like your dancing shoesπŸ’ƒ.

@uniquesarahjane, I'm glad that you are joining us for October! Yes, you can do this and we are here to cheer you, and one another on! Let us know how you are doing 🌹.
    I finally figured out my October Goal:

1. My first goal for this month (This October I will...") First goal: Continue with getting to bed at a good time, but now a bit earlier yet during October.

My second goal will be at least 15 minutes decluttering on most days, in at least any one of the 3 areas that I have been intermittently working on: digital clutter, general physical clutter, and paper clutter, since April of this year.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Start preparing for sleep a bit earlier now, and put 'decluttering' on my daily list instead of waiting to be inspired.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I haven't figured out one for the sleep yet. I just have to continue be aware of the time. For decluttering I have to pay attention to my daily routine list better.

4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily for sleep and most days for decluttering.

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Feeling increasingly rested in the morning, and marking the decluttering event number in my exercise calendar, along with my sleep notations. Seeing the number of declutterings events in each category rising.

6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement as you all are so wonderful with πŸ’–.

7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? 1) My sleep patterns will hopefully be more ready for the time change again in November, which I hope to actually take advantage of this year (as I've done so in the distant past). I can do this again. 2) My papers and digital things will be more under control, as well as the overall reduction of any unneeded or unwanted physical items.

1. My first goal for this month (This October I will..."): Continue with getting to bed at a good time, but now even a bit earlier than last month.

2. My second goal will be a minimum of 15 minutes decluttering on most days, in at least one of the 3 areas that I have been intermittently working on since April of this year: physical clutter, paper clutter, and digital clutter.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I will use πŸ˜‡ for lights out by 10:30 P.M. Lights out after 10:30 P.M. will be an❌.

physical clutter: 🧺, paper clutter: πŸ“„, digital clutter: πŸ’» .

October 1: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ ,
    October 2: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ , πŸ’»
    October 3: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ , πŸ’»
    October 4: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ , πŸ’»
    October 5: ❌ , πŸ“„ , πŸ’»

October 6: πŸ˜‡ ,
    October 7: πŸ˜‡ , 🧺,
    October 8: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ ,

🀠🌺
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,995 Member
    Options

77tes wrote: Β»
    Hi all, sorry I've been AWOL.
    I am going to repeat my September goal with a few tweaks.

1. This October I will get more organized/keep a tidier house.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal do a morning routine and evening routine which includes 15 minutes of tidying. I'm adding in an afternoon routine which I can add to either my morning or evening routines depending on my work schedule.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. Getting up in morning - make bed and dress to shoes.
    4. How often will you do your new habit - daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Pat on the back and brag to show off tidier spaces.
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? My whole house will be cleaner - getting to those long deferred chores. Tidy Husband will be happier. I will feel accomplished and a lot happier.

@TwistedSassette , I like you checklist, so I’m going to copy it.

Oct 1 - Tuesday routines done βœ… Deferred maintenance- took down one filthy valance (will replace when I get it finished).
    Oct 2 - Wednesday routines done βœ… cooking and took down another valance
    Oct 3 - Thursday routines done grocery shopping dusted and dust mopped
    Oct 4 - Friday routines more shopping- made a valance. πŸ˜‡
    Oct 5 - Saturday abbreviated routines - bought new dancing shoes πŸ‘  and went to a ball.
    Oct 6 - Sunday- REST ( really needed it after dancing for hours the night before) Still did full evening routine to be ready for Monday morning.

Here’s a picture of my sister and me before the ball. cr9ypa83qq94.jpeg

@77tes You look both look gorgeous❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Thank you @texasgardnr ❣️
    I’m almost all better!!

Minimums:
    310 active calories πŸ’ͺ🏻
    30 min dedicated exercise πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈ
    12 stand hours ⏰

Calories eaten below amount burned β™₯️

10/1 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° over (corrected)
    10/2 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° over
    10/3 πŸ’ͺ🏻no ⏰ over
    10/4 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° OVER
    10/5 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/6 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ°β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/7πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ°β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/8 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ°β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/9 (so far) πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ°

I feel better❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to say hi! I will make time for my goal update tomorrow. Crazy days! I love all of the pretty icons that show how great you’re all doing! @77tes, beautiful pic! I hope you had a β€œballβ€πŸ˜‰! @uniquesarahjane I’m glad you’re here. I can so relate to the denial you mentioned. You have set good goals and.... you absolutely CAN do this😊
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    I’m almost all better!!

Minimums:
    12 stand hours ⏰

10/3 πŸ’ͺ🏻no ⏰ over
    10/9 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° β™₯️underβ™₯️ no eating out!

I feel better❣️

• nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    No late night snacking= πŸŽ‰, Number of hours I reached step goal -/-, Photography work πŸ“Έ

Oct 1 πŸŽ‰ 12/13, πŸ˜•
    Oct 2 πŸŽ‰ 9/13, πŸ˜• (just decided on photography goal so will start tomorrow
    Oct 3 πŸŽ‰ 11/13, πŸ“Έ played with shooting on manual mode and tried raw instead of jpeg. I’m pretty clueless yet.
    Oct 4 πŸŽ‰ 10/13, πŸ“Έ watched a bunch of videos on how to shoot northern lights and took LOTS of notes. I will practice the next time we have a clear sky here (it's raining right now).
    Oct 5 πŸ˜• 8/13, πŸ“Έ grandkids and I spent a couple of hours taking pics outside.
    Oct 6 πŸŽ‰ 10/13, no time for serious photography... too many sports activities today.
    Oct 7 πŸ˜• 12/13, πŸ“Έ
    Oct 8 πŸŽ‰ 12/13 πŸ“Έ
    Oct 9 πŸŽ‰ 8/13 πŸ“Έ
    Oct 10 πŸ˜• 11/13 πŸ“·πŸ˜†
    Busy all week packing for a 3 day weekend at my daughter’s, then home for 2 days and I’m off to Iceland. I could use a few more days at home 😳 Dug out lots of winter gear. Today I went to a birthday party for my dad’s cousin. She is an amazing young 102. Her mind is incredible and she is just the sweetest!
    Last night I slept 4 1/2 hours and tomorrow am getting up early for my sister’s estate sale over an hour away so it’s definitely time for bed!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Doing so much better since I have made this a priority! I can feel it inside and I can tell my voice sounds happier and kinder when I talk to my husband and family. It's just really something how quickly depression can take over and a person doesn't even realize it...

1. My goal for this month -- This October I will take 30 minutes every day to do some sort of self-care.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will use whatever is at my disposal and switch it up...Calm app, bubble bath, sewing machine, book, walk outside with my fur baby, mani/pedi, and/or journal.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - I have created a recurrent appointment in my phone calendar that will pop up and remind me at 6:15 p.m. every day that it is self-care time. It will also pop up on my Apple watch if I'm not near my phone at the time.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): This will take place at 6:15 p.m. daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? The act of self-care will be my immediate reward, A quieter mind at night and maybe a sense of peace.
    6. What help do you need from us? Nudges or self-care ideas if you can see I'm struggling.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? If I am successful, work will not be as stressful. I will not cry several times a day for no apparent reason. I will no longer try carrying the weight of the world on my shoulders. I will not feel such darkess. And I will NOT feel sorry for myself.

However, I will be happy, smiling and back to my old self.

If I can do this, I will buy myself a 60-minute massage package at the Day Spa.

Walk dog. πŸ‘ŸπŸ•
    Podcast: 🎢
    Shower/bath: πŸ›
    Gratitude Journal: ✍🏼
    Read: πŸ“–
    De clutter: πŸ—‘
    Movie: πŸ“Ί
    Early to bed/nap: πŸ›
    Mani/pedi: πŸ’…

10/6: 🎢. πŸ›. ✍🏼. πŸ“–. πŸ’…πŸΌπŸ“Ί
    10/7: πŸ‘ŸπŸ•. 🎢 πŸ› ✍🏼 πŸ“–
    10/8: πŸ‘ŸπŸ• 🎢 πŸ› ✍🏼 πŸ“–
    10/9: πŸ‘ŸπŸ• 🎢 πŸ› ✍🏼 πŸ“–
    10/10: Hair salon for 2 hours, getting cut, color and highlights. Read while sitting under dryer. 🎢 Ate only between 10:30 am and 6:30 pm and on Day 3 of only no sugar, no flour foods. ✍🏼 πŸ“–

I saw an Integrative Medicine doctor at the medical clinic where I work on Wednesday. It is a new department we just opened and I was so glad! She saw me for a 60 minute consult and I think she is just what I need! I feel so much hope that just because I've felt lousy since cancer treatments 8 years ago, doesn't mean that is what I have to feel like forever as my "new normal". Pretty exciting stuff! First thing she has me doing is eating between set hours (8 hour stretch) and cutting out sugar and flour...pretty much eating whole foods. It is not no carb or low carb...it is no sugary foods and no flour foods. So I'm on Day 4 today of that. I can use Stevia in my coffee so that has helped me to give up the flavored creamer I love. I have to drink 80 oz of water every day. Journal my food for two weeks and bring back to next appointment. I started L-Theanine to help with anxiety and will be starting Vitamin D as I am really low and that causes a lot of my symptoms. I'm praying this is the start of a new healthier me!

Have a great Friday everyone!

@77tes You both look beautiful all dressed up! Love it!

• texasgardnr
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017, yay! You are finally feeling much better!! Your tracking habits are going really well!!

@nebslp, you're sure are being very busy! That is so cool to have a family member celebrating her 102nd birthday πŸŽ‚! Think how much family and world history she has lived to see! Super amazing. Enjoy your weekend with your daughter, and then your Iceland vacation, if you don't get a chance to pop in.

@PackerFanInGB, your post surely does sound exceptionally hopeful! I am so happy for you. That is wonderful that your consultation with the new Integrative Medicine doctor went so well, and that she is addressing a number of issues! Please keep us posted 🌷. Hugs πŸ€—πŸŒΈ
    I finally figured out my October Goal:

1. My first goal for this month (This October I will...") First goal: Continue with getting to bed at a good time, but now a bit earlier yet during October.

My second goal will be at least 15 minutes decluttering on most days, in at least any one of the 3 areas that I have been intermittently working on: digital clutter, general physical clutter, and paper clutter, since April of this year.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Start preparing for sleep a bit earlier now, and put 'decluttering' on my daily list instead of waiting to be inspired.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I haven't figured out one for the sleep yet. I just have to continue be aware of the time. For decluttering I have to pay attention to my daily routine list better.

4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily for sleep and most days for decluttering.

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Feeling increasingly rested in the morning, and marking the decluttering event number in my exercise calendar, along with my sleep notations. Seeing the number of declutterings events in each category rising.

6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement as you all are so wonderful with πŸ’–.

7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? 1) My sleep patterns will hopefully be more ready for the time change again in November, which I hope to actually take advantage of this year (as I've done so in the distant past). I can do this again. 2) My papers and digital things will be more under control, as well as the overall reduction of any unneeded or unwanted physical items.

I will use πŸ˜‡ for lights out by 10:30 P.M. Lights out after 10:30 P.M. will be an❌.

Showing that I decluttered: physical clutter: 🧺, paper clutter: πŸ“„, or digital clutter: πŸ’»

October 1: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ ,

October 7: πŸ˜‡ , 🧺,
    October 8: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ ,
    October 9: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„ ,
    October 10: ❌ , πŸ“„ ,

🀠🌺
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,282 Member
    Options
    My goals are the same this month.

1. My goal for this month -- This October I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I liked @pennysob's answer in October...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

10/01 - 3.06 miles in 61 mins. ...5:00 a.m. ...in the dark
    10/02 - 3.03 miles in 59 mins. ...5:00 a.m. ...in the dark
    10/03 - 3.05 miles in 60 mins.
    10/04 - Rest Day
    10/05 - 3.02 miles in 86 mins. ...we have our Grandpuppy w/us all week. He stops at every bush...every leaf. Plus we walked on rocks and in the sand.
    10/06 - 3.47 miles in 101 mins. ...stopped by the new dog park. Bean only wanted to sniff the grass and fence.
    10/07 - Rest Day
    10/08 - 3.49 miles in 90 mins. ...took Bean to the canal. He loved it.
    10/09 - Rest Day
    10/10 - 3.65 miles in 96 mins. ...w/Bean.
    10/11 - Rest Day
    10/12 - 3.41 miles in 90 mins. ...w/Bean.

Chris
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    You are so kind!

Minimums:
    12 stand hours ⏰

10/3 πŸ’ͺ🏻no ⏰ over

10/9 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° β™₯️underβ™₯️ no eating out!

10/10 πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° OVER - unexpected date night❣️

10/11πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ° β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/12πŸ’ͺπŸ»πŸšΆβ€β™€οΈπŸšΆβ€β™€οΈβ°β™₯️underβ™₯️
    10/13

I feel better❣️ cooler weather is nice! Perfect walking weather :)
  • TwistedSassette
    TwistedSassette Posts: 8,610 Member
    Options
    1. My goal for this month: This October I will spend at least 15 minutes a day on cleaning and tidying my house.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal are to set aside time in the evenings just for cleaning, and develop a list of the bigger tasks that need doing (like cleaning windows).
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit is to make sure it's done before going to bed.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)? Daily!
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will immediately notice the cleaner house, and will also place a sticker in my planner once completed.
    6. What help do you need from us? Just some support and any helpful cleaning tips!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? A nice, clean house that is functional because it is tidied regularly!

I will use βœ… for days I did 15mins of cleaning, and ❌ for days that I didn't.

1/10 βœ…
    2/10 βœ…
    3/10 βœ…
    4/10 ❌ (Friday night, just felt like chilling out!)
    5/10 βœ…
    6/10 βœ…
    7/10 βœ…
    8/10 ❌ (Visited a friend to deliver a huge basket of baby goodies before her baby shower this weekend, and had my mum and sister visiting, so I just didn't make the time today)
    9/10 βœ…
    10/10 βœ…
    11/10 βœ…
    12/10 βœ…
    13/10 ❌ (Lazy Sunday, I was super tired so I spent most of the day just lying on the lounge!)
  • texasgardnr
    Options

Showing that I decluttered: physical clutter: 🧺, paper clutter: πŸ“„, or digital clutter: πŸ’»

October 1: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„

October 7: πŸ˜‡ , 🧺
    October 8: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„
    October 9: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„
    October 10: ❌ , πŸ“„
    October 11: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„
    October 12: πŸ˜‡ , πŸ“„

🀠🌺
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hello Everyone,

I’ve been reading your updates and you are making terrific progress on your October goals! I really like how many of you track your daily progress with an icon or two. It’s a nice chain to be creating and then you have a visual reminder of how you’re doing. It’s great feedback and accountability. I’m going to be doing the same thing with my dad when I see him in a few days.

I spoke to a couple of people at the Medstar National Rehabilitation Hospital and right now Dad isn’t a viable candidate for admission. He is too inconsistent in the 1 hour or so of therapy that he currently receives in the skilled nursing facility. Some days he really tries and does everything that is asked of him and sometimes he just goes through the motions. At least once he started wheeling himself back to his room before the therapy was even done. Not good!

His motivation is hit or miss and the therapy team has asked us for suggestions on how we can better motivate him. Knowing how much my dad loves good food and time with his family gave me an idea. On Wednesday, we will be putting up a two month calendar in my dadβ€˜s room. The therapy team will create several goals for my dad to meet between now and Thanksgiving... six weeks away. Each day the therapy team will summarize his effort that day. Did he really apply himself to therapy and do what was asked of him? If he did, a check mark will go up for the day on the calendar. If dad consistently gets a lot of check marks and meets the interim goals that the therapy team sets for him, he will get a 4 hour pass on Thanksgiving day to join us for Thanksgiving dinner. If that doesn’t motivate him, I don’t know what will!

The stroke has impacted my dad’s sense of time, so having a calendar staring back at him will be very helpful. I’m hoping that he is just as motivated as you are to create a streak of check marks.

Medstar said they would consider him for admission if he’s consistent in doing the therapy. Three hours of therapy every day is a lot more than he’s currently receiving. If he can’t be consistent with the modest therapy he’s already receiving, clearly he won’t be considered for a more ambitious program. My brother spoke to him about this about a week ago and we are seeing signs that he seems to be applying himself more. I know he’s very frustrated with how long stroke recovery takes.

I managing my stress all right. Sleep helps enormously so I’m making a point to get to bed by 10:30. I remind myself frequently that I can’t fix this for my dad. He needs to do the hard work that is recovering from a stroke. We can nudge, encourage and support him, but the work is his and his alone.

I so appreciate your support, encouragement, prayers, and good wishes. And your understanding of why I’ve been so absent of late.

β€”Denise
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,781 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, your plan to help motivate your dad sounds like a good one! I hope it does the trick! I’m also glad that you are managing your stress. My wall calendar this month has a beautiful picture of the autumn woods in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. Every time I see that picture (pretty much every time I go into my kitchen), I think of you walking in your woods, and I say a little prayer for your dad, your mom, and you dealing with the stress of their problems. Take care, my friend. ❀️

My October goals are still rolling along:

October 7 Monday routines done βœ… Deferred maintenance- cleaned a the kitchen fridge a little bit. I was still so tired from the ball, I didn’t get much done.
    October 8 Tuesday routines done βœ… Dusted and dust mopped. Deferred maintenance glued some loose wallpaper, scrubbed the kitchen baseboards and mopped kitchen, trimmed lemon tree.
    October 9 Wednesday routines done βœ… Defrosted and cleaned fridge and freezer.
    October 10 Thursday routines done βœ… Grocery shopping
    October 11 Friday am routine done βœ… pm routine not quite finished. More shopping
    October 12 Saturday routines done βœ… did some cleaning at BIL’s house. Dust mopped at home.
    October 13 Sunday abbreviated routines done βœ… lovely day of rest.
  • cpanus
    cpanus Posts: 19,282 Member
    Options
    My goals are the same this month.

1. My goal for this month -- This October I will increase my walking miles from 3 miles an hour to 4 miles an hour.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I will walk 5 days a week w/my DH.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - Getting up at 4:00 to walk at 5:00 so we can pick up our Grandson and Grandpuppy at 7:00.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) 5 days a week...rest days Monday and Friday.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Jumping around doing a Happy Dance!
    6. What help do you need from us? I liked @pennysob's answer in October...cheers!!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of October? That I'm getting back to the walking speed I was at before the pinched nerve in my back side-lined me for almost a year. I had spine surgery in June to fix it all. Recovery is slow.

10/01 - 3.06 miles in 61 mins. ...5:00 a.m. ...in the dark
    10/02 - 3.03 miles in 59 mins. ...5:00 a.m. ...in the dark
    10/03 - 3.05 miles in 60 mins.
    10/04 - Rest Day
    10/05 - 3.02 miles in 86 mins. ...we have our Grandpuppy w/us all week. He stops at every bush...every leaf. Plus we walked on rocks and in the sand.
    10/06 - 3.47 miles in 101 mins. ...stopped by the new dog park. Bean only wanted to sniff the grass and fence.
    10/07 - Rest Day
    10/08 - 3.49 miles in 90 mins. ...took Bean to the canal. He loved it.
    10/09 - Rest Day
    10/10 - 3.65 miles in 96 mins. ...w/Bean.
    10/11 - Rest Day
    10/12 - 3.41 miles in 90 mins. ...w/Bean.
    10/13 - 4.06 miles in 86 mins. ...just us humans...21 min mile.

Chris
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @cpanus, it’s great that you have Bean along on your walks!

@77tes, thank you! The White Mountains are beautiful this time of year! I appreciate the prayers. And you’ve made great progress in tidying and decluttering this month!

Oh, and by the way. I still tune into Earthcam every morning so that I can see the sunrise over the San Francisco Bay. Not exactly near you, but in the big neighborhood.