Outstandingly October!

Options

Replies

• sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    magic71755 wrote: »
    Also, my yearly "let's make sure Nanc continues to be cancer-free" check-up.

I was dx 1998. October 1999 I was checked and said to be cancer-free at that point. This is my 20-year anniversary check-up.

Wishing everyone a lovely fall day.

@magic71755 We should bake you an ETL cake to celebrate 20 years. B)

birthday-cake.png

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,964 Member
    Options
    Yay, Magic! Celebrating 20 years cancer-free is huge! Good luck with your juicing.

How you feeling Sloth?

I settled on a tai chi based workout to start with. It is a 90 day program but not aerobic so I'll have to include treadmill as well. I think this is the wisest choice for me to start with though. I am having trouble with some arthritic joints and soreness so starting with a heavy duty workout probably wouldn't be wise. I have taken tai chi classes before so it's not completely new to me. I went through the intro videos and the assessment test. That was kind of discouraging, but I am looking forward to seeing the improvement after 90 days.

Excellent ETL day...
    B - oats with the usual additions
    L - big ol' salad
    D - rest of my salad from lunch with the addition of black beans, grapes and a clementine, sprouted grain bread with a smidge of PB

• AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Hi ETL friends! I hope you are having a great week!

@sloth3toes - How are you doing? Recovery takes so long. I hope you are feeling better, bit by bit.

@Mihani - I am sorry you are having sore joints. I love the sound of your tai chi workout plan. How's that going? Starting off easy is so smart!

@magic71755
    Wow, Nanc! Congratulations on your 20 years of being cancer free!

How is your juicing going this week?

Thank you SO much for mentioning the Game Changers documentary! I am halfway through watching it, and am loving it! I called over my teenage son to watch part of it, and am hoping he watches it all. So thank you for being an indirect positive influence on my son!

On a related side note -- I had two people at Boy Scouts last night talk to me at some length about plant-based eating. One of them was the Scoutmaster, who has been looking at some of the plant-based eating documentaries on Netflix and getting interested in not eating meat. Another was a fellow mom, who is interested in eating less meat but finds herself struggling with the mental change ("it just feels like something is missing"). I may need to think more about what to say when people start asking me about it! These are both people who knew me a year ago. At that time, I had lost considerable weight, but weighed about 200 pounds. People seem increasingly interested as it becomes clear my weight is now staying low. Now I weigh about 122 and am much, much fitter. It was nice to be reminded of the change that this way of eating has made for me!

And all this has me thinking about making sure that the Thanksgiving menu includes ETL dishes that may tempt my family.

What's up with me? Busy, in a fun way!
    - Busy with Scouts - meeting/quarterly celebration of progress with boys last night (I made gluten-free, dairy-free cupcakes, which all disappeared); parents' planning meeting for that tonight
    - Busy with martial arts - about to go work on that, and have class today
    - Busy with work - behind but working on catchup today
    - Writing - not happening so far this week; looking to fit it in tomorrow

Eating to Live - Having a good day!
    B-green smoothie (collards, broccoli, blueberries, cashew milk), almond butter, goji berries, coffee
    L-based tofu; microwaved mushrooms; steamed squash; bowl of acorn squash and turnip with cinnamon, ginger and cashew milk; apple-ginger juice
    S(plan)-apple slices and walnuts
    D(plan)-big salad, plant-based dressing, steamed squash; maybe some more acorn squash and turnips

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,826 Member
    Options
    axesmileyf.gifaxesmileyf.gifaxesmileyf.gif
    w_wednesdaybfly2.gifw_wednesdaybfly2.gifw_wednesdaybfly2.gif

Today's Plan

black coffee
    oatmeal (gf oats, cinnamon, raisins, flax meal, frozen organic blueberries, homemade almond milk)
    Joe's Mean Green juice
    Plant Burger with sauteed mushrooms and onions AND the works, side of organic Westbrae chili beans (black, kidney, pinto)
    Carrot/Apple juice
    Steamed veggies with homemade plant-based "cheese" sauce
    Chai with Lulu Love for dessert

Wishing everyone a nice fall day!
  • magic71755
    Options
    You're welcome on the Game Changers, @AustinRuadhain ! I especially loved the Aussie female runner and the USA bicyclist. Some great info in there.

Got an all clear from doc. Only thing she said on plant based diet, be sure and take a B12 supplement, which I do. B complex actually.

Going to maybe make my veggies in the insta pot...or maybe not. So much to do still, and learning how to use a new gizmo. Probably not. Will most likely really steam the veggies.

Just craving lots of veggies.

Jucing is going great...and trying no more snacks with tea...trying to make it a ritual and calming time before bed.

Hope everyone is doing great.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi all, doing great so far this week but making sure I get in a workout every night hasn't left me a lot of time for posting here. I did an aerobics video last night which was kind of fun, and tonight did the first full workout of tai cheng. I forgot how much I enjoyed taking the tai chi classes and thinking I'm going to sign up again after the first of the year. The tai cheng workout is different than tai chi, but includes some of the moves. It's all about mobility and balance so it's really good for someone like me who needs to get back some flexibility before diving into harder workouts.

You do sound very busy this week, Austin! That is cool that people are asking questions and interested in ETL.

Yay for an all clear from the doc, Magic. I still haven't used the instapot I got last Christmas, but I am going to try it here soon. I want to start making my own beans rather than buying canned all the time.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Good to see you @Mihani and so happy to see you doing something other than work ...good for you. We will have to work on that IP together.

I steamed my veggies tonight...oh my gosh, I guess I was really craving them (and Lulu, too)...we had sweet potatoes, cauliflower, green beans, carrots, and summer squash. I did put a bit of Miyokos vegan butter on ... and a touch of kosher salt. OH MY GOSH...it was delish.

I am not kidding. I had no idea it would have tasted so good. I think the sweet potatoes really helped make it a meal.

Alrighty then...sending good vibes to all and especially to @sloth3toes ...thinking of you buddy. Oh, btw, I did buy a new iron...what's the name ...oh yes, a Rowenta. Now, I have to find a better ironing board. I make it a zen thing as I iron.

Alrighty then, night all. sweeetdreams.gif
  • magic71755
    Options
    w_thursdaybfly2.gifw_thursdaybfly2.gifw_thursdaybfly2.gif

batsmile.gifbatsmile.gifbatsmile.gif

animal_batty3.gif Today's Plan: animal_batty4.gif

black coffee
    green juice
    oatmeal
    lunch with BFF at Pita Jungle
    more green juice
    pre-dinner steaming bowl of edamame...steamed veggie plater
    chai with Lulu Love for dessert

Wishing everyone a spooky octboard.gifday! trixters.gif
  • AustinRuadhain
    AustinRuadhain Posts: 2,592 Member
    Options
    Happy Thursday, all!

My food plan today looks a lot like yesterday. I have one more green apple, so may even do the juice again.

@magic71755 -- Your posts always brighten my day. I love hearing what you are up to, and I love the fun graphics you find!

@Mihani - Your posts about tai chi and tai cheng are inspiring. I want to do some tai chi soon...

apr2svuoqbbs.gif

• magic71755
    Options
    fridaysmiley.gif
    angrysingcorn.gif

Today's Plan:
    black coffee
    green juice
    oatmeal
    leftover steamed veggies
    plant burger
    chai and Lulu Love for dessert

Wishing everyone a very spooky kattpumpa.gif amost Halloween angrysingcorn.gif day!

Thanks @AustinRuadhain ...I have fun putting the silly stuff in there. Glad it brightens your day!
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hello y'all. I have had a super busy week but still making sure I get at least 30 minutes of exercise every day. Yay! I am going to go check out a Tai Chi class tomorrow and probably sign up. Getting a taste of it again I remembered how much I enjoyed it and want to get back to it.

And quite honestly, I need to start doing things outside the house and work. I have a feeling next year is going to be a journey of rediscovering who I am. I have been working like a maniac for so long that I have lost any sense of who I am outside of that. Getting the house cleaned up and getting rid of clutter was a start, but there is still a lot to do to get my real life back.

I am all set with for salads this week and I am going to make a french lentil and greens stew tomorrow for dinners.

Magic, I like your bright and happy posts and cute emojis too.

Austin, you inspired me to get back into Tai Chi talking about your martial arts training. Tai Chi is different but maybe I will try some other types once I get back into it.

• magic71755
    Options
    w_satdaybfly2.gifw_satdaybfly2.gifw_satdaybfly2.gif

bwfilmsmileys.gifbwfilmsmileys.gifbwfilmsmileys.gif

Today's Plan...a bit of mish-mosh:

black coffee
    oatmeal with the usual suspects
    carrots and Bitchin sauce
    plant based burger sammy
    apple and PB
    I think that's it...
    Taking my chai with me to make at work...need to start winding down while at work...trying something new.

Have yourselves a beautiful fallsmiley2.gif day!

@Mihani so happy my silly graphics make you smile as well. Good for you working on getting YOU back.

Love you guys!
  • Mihani
    Options
    I went to the intro to Tai Chi today as planned. I have taken classes before so it wasn't entirely new. We practiced the first 4 moves after a demo from a more advanced class and then had a little social time. It was nice to get out and see new people. I need to make efforts to not be such a hermit! The next 6 week beginner course starts next Saturday so I'm going to do it. Definitely need a refresher as I barely remember the moves.

Today will be pretty basic. Breakfast was oats with berries, chia seeds, spices. I will probably just have some fruit since I got home so late in the afternoon and then I'll start cooking and have an early dinner of french lentil stew and salad. This is the recipe: https://www.hummusapien.com/golden-french-lentil-soup/ It's so good and hearty, and I bought two beautiful bunches of chard on Thursday so I'm all set.

• magic71755
    edited October 2019
    Options
    nitemaresmiley.gifnitemaresmiley.gifnitemaresmiley.gif
    w_sundaybfly2.gifw_sundaybfly2.gifw_sundaybfly2.gif

Today's Plan

black coffee
    carrot apple juice
    plant burger sammy
    chili beans
    carrot apple juice
    home for some Lulu Love for dessert with a side of honey crisp apple and chai

Have a good one everybuddy.
  • magic71755
    Options
    Wow ! I cant believe I made 2 quarts of carrot apple juice this morning, BEFORE WORK. I guess when you make being healthy a priority, you get things done. Next year at this time I plan on only working 3 days a week but continue being full time. 33 hours a week is considered full time. So, still will have all the benefits but I will be off Monday through Thursday!

This is my 2020 plan. Right now cleaning up credit card debt and cutting back on expenses. Started with cable bill... went from $202 a month to $78. I think that’s right. Went back and forth with them several times.. This next month all the dust will be settled and I will know what I am paying...only internet 5G.

The most important part of all this is for me be be as healthy as possible at almost 72 so I can spend more quality time with my Lulu. Also, for me to become active in my community.

My 2020 plan is in focus ... every day my eyes are on the prize!

September 23, 2020 goal date

ETA: My schedule of Fri - Mon 40 hours fell into my lap. I offered to take the schedule since we went through 5 weekend receptionists in a year. They did not do well, working alone on the weekends. So I offered to be the WEEKEND WHETHER/WEATHER YOU LIKE IT OR NOT GIRL as long as I got to keep my 40 hours. 13 Friday 12 Saturday 8 Sunday 7 Monday Two years I have been doing this. I guess my point being, you just never know how things will work out. You just have to be open to change. Later, mates.
  • Mihani
    Options
    Well done on reducing the cable bill Magic. I downgraded mine a couple years ago and got rid of my land line which helped a lot. I felt like it was really a waste of money anyway.

Made the French lentil soup, steamed a bunch of asparagus, set up my salads and oatmeal for breakfasts and lunches this week. Also cooked some red potatoes and japanese sweet potatoes. Forgot to make salad dressing so I'll go that right now!
  • LizLovesVeggies
    LizLovesVeggies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hi All - Oh my goodness I hope everyone here is feeling healthy and happy! Wow, your journeys inspire me. Sloth - sending you all the healing thoughts!

I wanted to share three recipes we've made several times for meal prep because they're big hits and just thinking about them is making my mouth water:
    1- butternut squash lentil curry : https://sweetpeasandsaffron.com/slow-cooker-butternut-squash-lentil-curry/
    2- Lentil soup : https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/ina-garten/lentil-vegetable-soup-recipe-1948822 (veganized)
    3- Mind blowing Roasted potatoes : https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/roasted-potatoes-with-garlic-lemon-and-oregano-231779 (veganized) <- they re-heat really well!

All can be adjusted to be more ETL. Can you tell I've been on a lentil kick lately? lol I've been meal prepping and these are repeat winners for us! LMK if you enjoy!

Austin - That's a great list! My goals are going well thanks! I had a body fat percentage goal that I recently hit so I'm going to re-assess with my trainer about that. Still working on building muscle and really enjoying it. It's funny because my husband is working on gaining weight (muscle) and I'm working on cutting fat (while gaining muscle) and we've now gone from the same weight to a 20 pound difference - we had a laugh about that yesterday. So far so good! I really like the list on the GirlsNightInClub article - I definitely try to do many of those things and am really loving unfollowing people/accounts that aren't adding to my life in some way (health, happiness, community, information, inspiration etc.).

I've been thinking a lot about the Blue Zones recently after listening to an interview with Dan Buettner. The things that the folks in Sardinia Italy, Okinawa Japan and Loma Linda USA have in common are strong family bonds, no smoking, plant based diet, constant moderate physical activity, social engagement and legumes. Sometimes I over complicate things but this helps me think about getting back to the basics. So interesting too!

Happy Halloween all!

• magic71755
    Options
    organisten.giforganisten.giforganisten.gif
    fallsmiley4.giffallsmiley4.giffallsmiley4.gif
    w_mondaybfly2.gifw_mondaybfly2.gifw_mondaybfly2.gif

The Plan...

black coffee
    carrot apple juice X 2
    leftover steamed veggies
    plant burger with the works bean burrito
    fresh honey crisp apple with Mary's crackers
    orange cream frozen good pop
    chai with Lulu Love for dessert
  • magic71755
    edited October 2019
    Options
    halloweensmile.gif
    w_tuesdaybfly2.gifw_tuesdaybfly2.gifw_tuesdaybfly2.gif

Black Coffee
    Sprouts run...need supplies!
    oatmeal with the usual suspects (organic oats raw, homemade almond milk, cinnamon, flax meal, raisins, frozen blueberries)
    Joe's Mean Green (fresh, homemade green juice: kale, celery, cukes, lemon, ginger, apples)
    open faced veggie sammy featuring avocado and dark leafy greens, red onions, sprouts on toasted Ezekiel bread
    dinner with family Pita Jungle
    dessert will be Lulu Love and chai

Have a spirited, fall day everyone! kkvastf.gifkkvastf.gifkkvastf.gif
  • Mihani
    Options
    Hi Liz, congrats on hitting your body fat % goal. I love the sound of that lentil stew with butternut. I will be trying that one for sure. I too am a big fan of lentils.

Great job on your meal plans, Magic. Your sandwich sounds really good. I love big ol' veggie sammiches!

I'm hanging in there. Work remains super busy but I'm managing to get some exercise in every evening. Even if it is just 20 or 30 minutes on the treadmill for now, my goal is to do something every day.

Speaking of work, I better get at the file I brought home to work on!