November miles for @mobycarp

Options
Elise4270
Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
To honor our friend and virtual running partner we are putting together a 26 hour virtual relay.

Replies

• Elise4270
    Options
    Just had a quick look at the google doc for the miles for Kevin (MobyCarp) runs.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1u1kakszOV9CNZ6ONIzsQjF2Oq8lgpOZh/edit#gid=1527975205

As it stands, from what I can make out (I suck at spreadsheets lol) if we moved the start back an hour and start the 24 hour period at 6pm EST, we would still have 8 hours to cover to make the full 24. Anyone able to take any of those slots?

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I am running the Marshall University Marathon on 11/3, so will check start time and try to add to spreadsheet. Also, we have daylight savings time change on there, right? The spreadsheet is a bit wonky on phone, so may try from conputer later.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Ok, I got it updated on my phone with the Google Sheets app... works much better than opening in MFP as it tries when just selecting link.

Anyway, I did not adjust the file for daylight savings. It is too complicated of a change to want
    to mess with on the phone and I didn't want to break the file. I assume everyone is going to plan on the same times and we just need to add 1 hr from 2a-3a. (For the 2nd 2a-3a) inder just the U.S. schedules.
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    How does this work? Sorry having trouble figuring it out...
    I'll be in Mexico - which is PST

Thanks
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    How does this work? Sorry having trouble figuring it out...
    I'll be in Mexico - which is PST

Thanks

I think there is a column in the file for PST. Find the time you plan to run and put your username in whichever colum best fits the description.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    Is this before or after day light saving time? Because that will change my time zone...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Is this before or after day light saving time? Because that will change my time zone...

I just went into the file and spent some time cleaning up and adding for the different time zones for DST and such. The new time zones are in a new tab and I left the original information intact and labeled it "Original" so you can see what you signed up for before I made changes. I kept everyone's times intact in accordance with time in New York (column B ) and added the hour. You will notice that 1am repeats itself now in that time zone.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options

I just went into the file and spent some time cleaning up and adding for the different time zones for DST and such. The new time zones are in a new tab and I left the original information intact and labeled it "Original" so you can see what you signed up for before I made changes. I kept everyone's times intact in accordance with time in New York (column B ) and added the hour. You will notice that 1am repeats itself now in that time zone.

I'll have to look on a computer. Not sure adding a new tab helps me.

I don't actually change times. Just time zones. I'm technically Mountain - Phoenix which is only mountain half the year. 🤣
  • Avidkeo
    Avidkeo Posts: 3,190 Member
    Options
    Ok so phone not playing properly. C unless @ContraryMaryMary wants to change her time, can you put me in the first too slots. I'll do a 10k for Kevin at that time.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I am not sure why we need to add an extra hour for DST - wouldn't we just be using the times as they are that weekend, unless that is the weekend that we actually change?

Also there are spots for multiple runners per slot so we can have up to 4 runners without anyone having to 'give up' a time slot.
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    I am not sure why we need to add an extra hour for DST - wouldn't we just be using the times as they are that weekend, unless that is the weekend that we actually change?

Confusing me too... pretty sure it changes the weekend before here (last weekend in October) but I think America is different to Europe.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options

Also there are spots for multiple runners per slot so we can have up to 4 runners without anyone having to 'give up' a time slot.

Yes, that is the weekend we change in the U.S.

Confusing me too... pretty sure it changes the weekend before here (last weekend in October) but I think America is different to Europe.

Right. Original tab has CEST. By Nov. 2, Europe will be on CET. I fixed that also when I updated times.

I'll have to look on a computer. Not sure adding a new tab helps me.

I don't actually change times. Just time zones. I'm technically Mountain - Phoenix which is only mountain half the year. 🤣

The whole point of adding the extra tab was to preserve the original information. In case anyone wants to look back at it.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Look, I acknowledge the time change is a bit confusing when you add multiple zones changing at different times (or not at all) during that time window. I put a lot of thought into making updates accordingly.

If it helps you feel better, this is my schedule that weekend (includes 4 time zones in 2 days)
    Nov. 2 Drive from CDT to EDT
    Nov. 3 Time changes from EDT to EST, run race, then drive from EST to CST
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @T1DCarnivoreRunner I'm extremely grateful to you for doing that! As I've said before, words are my thing, numbers and spreadsheets.... not so much. Just kidding, I'm a total dunce at spreadsheets, I can't even use excel!
    So, all contributions and assistance with that is very much appreciated :-)

If it helps you feel better, this is my schedule that weekend (includes 4 time zones in 2 days)
    Nov. 2 Drive from CDT to EDT
    Nov. 3 Time changes from EDT to EST, run race, then drive from EST to CST

Does that mean you'll be going back to the future? COOL!!!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    Not really back to the future... just re-labeling the present. My time changes:
    1. Back 1 hr.
    2. Back 1 hr.
    3. Forward 1 hr.

In the end, I will be home with 1 hr. back change, as intended with the end of daylight savings.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    I love spreadsheets! But I am time zone challenged and hate the time changes DT-DST and back. Wish they would just pick one and leave it at that.
    Thanks for updating the spreadsheet for the time change, @T1DCarnivoreRunner
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Hey, it sounds like @T1DCarnivoreRunner has a handle on the DST change. But if it’s still a challenge why not assume dst doesn’t happen and run from there? It is an arbitrary change and can be ignored.
  • RunsOnEspresso
    Options
    I only asked about DST because I didn't know when it was and thought it was usually the first weekend in November. I don't pay attention because I don't change times. This is all far too confusing for me. I am going to gracefully bow out at this point.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I realize keeping track of the time zones is confusing, so I had an idea to try to help...
    For techies that are interested:
    I changed the file time zone to UTC with no daylight savings time (file was previously setup in Pacific time). Then used NOW function for current time and calculated additional hours or fewer hours with UTC as base.

At the top of each column (Row 1) for the different time zones, I have put the time as of right now.
    In the 2nd row, I have put the time it will be after the daylight savings time change.
    Open the file, look at your watch/clock/phone/computer/whatever you use to tell time, then slide over in row 1 until you get to the time that matches your current local time and that is your time zone.
    If you recently changed for daylight savings time, then use row 2 instead.
    If you live in the U.S. in a state that does not observe daylight savings time, then use row 2 instead.
    *There may be exceptions, but I believe this will work for 95%+ of us.

The current times in rows 1 and 2 will update when you open the file and it will update whenever the sheet calculates (such as when you put your username in somewhere), and again when you close the file. If you are working in the file, it likely will never be more than a couple min. since updating unless you just open it and leave it open for a long time without doing much or anything.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    Options
    I want to add... the day chosen is tougher because of the time change in much of the U.S. However, this day was chosen for a particular reason. I wanted to accommodate the time change, but if you are still struggling to understand what time is what; then don't worry about getting sidelined by those details. Put in your time as best as you understand it and then go run. I'm sure @mobycarp would have said the same and that would still be a fine way to honor his memory. That's the whole spirit of this, right?!