Very New to This

I've yo yo dieted my entire life. I'm 5'1 and recently weighed 230, now down to 223. I started out most recently low carb, after a long stretch on the anti diet bandwagon. I've read a lot about keto and am ready to commit to some changes. I've been low carb for a couple of weeks, but only just decided to go all the way to keto over the last few days.

I've set my carb goal to stay below 20 grams. Does that seem right? I'm keeping my calories below 1800. I'm walking a mile to a mile and a half each day. Every other day I do a 10 minute beginners yoga routine or a 20 minute seated strength training routine. Does all of this sound like I'm on track?

I'm concerned about the possibility of having a lot of loose skin if I go into ketosis and lose weight quickly.

Another concern. With some special events coming up I know I will eventually treat myself, probably to a slice of pumpkin pie. From what I've read, this is not the end of the world,and I should be able to go back into ketosis again as long as Im not eating pumpkin pie every day.

My goal is to lose 100 pounds. Initially I wanted to lose a pounds a week, but I understand with this diet, it could go much faster. My mini goals are to work my way down through the obesity categories, to overweight, to finally normal bmi.

Overall I think I am doing well. I like what I'm eating and don't feel tempted to cheat, (aside from probably at Thanksgiving when I don't intend to go overboard). I guess I just want some reassurance that what I'm doing is right (particularly the 20gram carb cap) and maybe get some advice from anyone who has been doing this with success.

Replies

• nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    20g net carbs is a great point. I started July 9 and like you started low and then dropped to Keto level. My fat content is not as high as others bec I feel that I have enough body fat to burn. I have lost 52 lbs to date and don’t freak out if my carbs are slightly up for a day. Feel free to add me as a friend. Here for support.
  • mistyk1980
    mistyk1980 Posts: 5 Member
    Do you have a lot of loose skin from losing so fast, if I may ask? I'm hoping the strength training may help me with that.
  • EelkoDoesKeto
    EelkoDoesKeto Posts: 72 Member
    20 grams should be bang on...
    Yes you can break keto from time to time... and yes you can go back into ketosis afterwards (simply cut out the carbs again).
    You might find that you wont enjoy that pumpkin pie as much as you thought you would though... I find most things now are just waaaay too sweet.

Feel free to add me for support... I post an entry on my wall every day about keto... well mostly about my day, keto doesnt always feature :)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    I lost more or less a pound a week for about two and a half years. I am late 50's and so perhaps prone to loose skin. It was pretty obvious when I hit goal, but it seems to have tightened up some now that I have been in maintenance for a year+. I have had a 20 g net carb limit in theory since 2016, but I went back to check diaries, and I did not stay consistently under 20 until January of 2017. I have not been doing strength training or anything. YMMV
  • rmac18
    rmac18 Posts: 185 Member
    That’s pretty much exactly what I did. 20 net grams of carbs and 1,800 calories per day. I started in mid June and have lost about 50 lbs on Keto. I also am Type 2 Diabetic so I don’t really cheat in terms of sweets but I keep a regular workout routine. I wouldn’t worry too much about loose skin. The body adapts eventually, maybe not as fast as you’d like and it is dependent on age. I’ll gladly trade loose skin for lbs. I tend to lose 2.5 lbs per week on average but it’s not linear. I can drop 2-4 lbs one day and then I’ll gain small amounts back daily and then 7-10 days later I’ll have another big drop again. Also sometimes you’ll lose inches but not have it show up on the scale. I feel great 4 months into Keto and for me it’s a lifestyle not a diet. Good Luck!!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    It took about 2 years for my skin to tighten up, so don't fret the loose skin, it will adapt slower, but it will adapt. Plus loose skin is way less of a health problem than being overweight.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Yes you can break keto from time to time... and yes you can go back into ketosis afterwards (simply cut out the carbs again).
    You might find that you wont enjoy that pumpkin pie as much as you thought you would though... I find most things now are just waaaay too sweet.

Feel free to add me for support... I post an entry on my wall every day about keto... well mostly about my day, keto doesnt always feature :)

The over sweetness is soooo true. I tried to share a custard called a sabayon with my husband from a fancy restaurant and it literally tasted like pure sugar. I couldn’t even eat it. And I used to be a die hard sugar addict. I can smell sugar in breads. It’s crazy. Even berries are almost to sweet. 👍

• ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Me too!! My herbal tea tastes sweet to me now. Water sometimes too. I don’t even want my special keto baked goods my friend makes for me anymore. Now that just seems downright ungrateful 🤣