How to "Test" if youre in ketosis

Options
I feel like I should be. I just started a week ago but I would like a way to check it. Other than the google suggested going to the dr and having blood work 😞

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    If you want, you can buy Ketone Test Strips at your local drug store or Wal-Mart. They say to use them first thing in the AM. But honestly you don't need to. :) If you are following the plan and its been a week or so, you are probably in Ketosis. Good luck.
  • samandheatherdover
    samandheatherdover Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Well Ive been tracking all my macros, workout daily, and keep under 20 net carbs but I dont "feel" better.

I feel groggy and dont know if its working or I need to tweak something. The cravings are definitely still there.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Well Ive been tracking all my macros, workout daily, and keep under 20 net carbs but I dont "feel" better.

I feel groggy and dont know if its working or I need to tweak something. The cravings are definitely still there.

You likely do not have high enough sodium intake. Grogginess is one sign of keto flu which is an electrolyte imbalance and can usually be remedied by increasing your sodium intake. 3000-5000 mg is generally recommended.

If you don't have a medical reason to limit salt intake, increase it.

https://blog.virtahealth.com/sodium-potassium-magnesium-ketogenic-diet/

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Yep. You’re describing low sodium which is so common for keto that people call it Keto Flu. It’s just low sodium. You need more than you think.
    Read that link given above and you’ll understand why.
  • Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,958 Member
    Options
    Yes, salt is very important for your electrolyte balance. Also suggest taking a potassium supplement as well as a magnesium citrate supplement. I suggest taking the magnesium at night as it can help you sleep better.
    These three are key to fighting the Keto Flu. Keep us posted on how you feel.
  • Selendraco
    Selendraco Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Groggy is keto flu.
    Sodium!!
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    You might want to join the low carb group if you haven’t already. There is beginner info on the main page. I agree with lots of salt, potassium, and magnesium. IMO checking for Ketosis is a waste of time, just try to keep as low of carbs as possible.
  • CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Selendraco wrote: »
    Groggy is keto flu.
    Sodium!!

I usually do 200-500ml of soup stock when I get that way if I don't have ketorade on hand. So easy to forget we can need more salt than normal. Luckily it clears the brain fog fast.