Need Ideas for Lunch and Snack Options

Options
Hey ya'll...I need some healthy options for lunch and snacks. Dinner I'm generally pretty good at but I struggle with packing a good lunch for work and snacks as well. I'm a huge fan of fruit but not so much veggies. Any suggestions you have would be very welcome! Only know I won't eat anything with artificial sweeteners in it.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    What do you like?

Lately I’ve started making turkey sandwiches with either Dave’s or Arnold’s seed bread. I think either one is about 70 cals per slice. And homemade avocado mayo. (Avocado, lemon juice and olive oil.) I’ve experimented with cooking my own turkey breast, but today I was back at the deli counter.

I’ve also experimented with protein pasta and chicken breast salad made with either the avocado mayo or just olive oil. If you start with protein elbows, chicken or turkey breast and some sort of dressing, you can add some nuts, shredded carrots, broccoli slaw or any else the you think may interest you.

And the apple is the calorie counter’s friend.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I like a big dinner so I usually go pretty light for lunch....I like egg salad or tuna salad alone or on bread....lean cuisine are easy......Joseph’s flat out bread with turkey and light mayo.....fruit and cottage cheese....I usually have a snack late afternoon of a granola bar or string cheese or a natures bakery fig bar...or watermelon chunks....
  • Ver9nika
    Ver9nika Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Can you use microwave for lunch? I'm away from home from Thursday till Saturday, but I can use microwave and fridge inbetween. So for lunch can be basically everything I eat for dinner - just need to warm up quickly.

For snacks: please do not consider this rude, but do you even need snacks? And, if yes, how many calories should one snack be? E.g. I discovered, that I can't snack as it's hard to remain in calory limits and not end up binge-eating. I eat 4 times a day as I like to eat A LOT. So no nuts/fruits (as snavks) shall fill me within my calory limit.
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of soup for lunch. It's easy to make a big pot over the weekend. I add pearl barley or lentils for protein. You could even add pasta to make it minestrone-like. It's very low calorie but very filling, and a great way to get fibre and vegetables.
    How many calories do you usually allocate for lunch? I'm liking the sound of these low calorie wraps...I don't know if we can get them in NZ but I'm going to look for them!
    My boys love wraps for lunch. Shredded chicken, grated carrot, beetroot, lettuce, cheese, avo, hummus. Different flavoured hummus would be good. We get a huge range here.
    I quite often do a slow-cooked pulled pork and that would work in a wrap too.
    I do a salad bowl quite often too...corn, shredded carrot, glass noodles, shredded chicken, peas, lettuce, broccoli, with nuts sprinkled and an orange-miso dressing.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Maiomaio those bowls sound delicious!
  • amkita
    amkita Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I've been keeping lunch and snacks super simple. a yogurt cup, or cottage cheese with fresh berries for snack time. for lunch I keep wheat pita, cheese, and tofurky slices (I know, I know, but I think they're tasty and it's not animals, and I love sandwiches!) that I build into a little pita sandwich and heat briefly in the microwave.

I prefer minimal planning, so I buy for a week and keep everything in the fridge at work.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I do oatmeal for lunch. I also like tortilla's with rotisserie chicken, lettuce, tomatos, and balsamic vinigrette. Lately I've been into chicken, guyere, and spinach sausages on a bun (ok piece of bread), they are precooked so I just pop them in the microwave and done.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Overnight oats, you eat them cold, they fill you up for a long time. @tinkerbellang83 had a great recipe too
  • maybe1pe
    maybe1pe Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I usually do a turkey, ham or egg sandwich. Aunt millies makes a light honey wheat bread that’s 35 calories a slice. They have other varieties as well.
    Cottage cheese and fruit. Or a yogurt cup. Maybe an apple or celery and peanut butter with raisins (I like PB powder because I can keep it at work.)
  • kosseychick
    kosseychick Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I like soup or a salad for lunch. If I have a salad I pair it up with a protein such as cheese, cooked chicken, egg or tuna otherwise I'm starving 1/2 hr after lunch
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My regulars are either soup or a bowl of cereal and a yoghurt.