Weight Loss With Long-Term Injury

I'm once again trying to lose weight. This seems to be more difficult than I ever imagined... Now an overeater (late night snacking) who can't do most high impact exercise (long-term neck injury).

Does anyone have any advice? As tough as losing 40-50 pounds is now, I'm sure it will be much harder (and more painful) if I wait another ten years to do it. I should also mention that I work long hours and have two small children at home (i.e. my only "me-time" is an hour or two before bed each night).

Thanks.

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Go easy on yourself! When I read your post, I felt a lot of self-defeat here. You are doing a good job, and you should commend yourself for what you DO do. This is a lesson that I have learned myself and, while it has not been easy and has taken much practice, I benefit a lot from being kind to myself.

I am a food addict and overeater, too. Sometimes this can definitely get me down. I do not have any injuries, but I worked as a fitness instructor for more than 10 years and I know a lot about working modifications and devoloping exercise routines that accomodate a wide range of injuries.

What is your injury?
    Next, what kinds of movement do you enjoy?

(When you respond, can you tag me so I remember to come back to this thread?)

Jenn
  • StephanieBam
    StephanieBam Posts: 8 Member
    Thanks Jenn! I didn't realize how defeated I sounded until I re-read my post. If I'm being honest with myself though, I do feel defeated when it comes to weight loss.

As for your questions:

What is your injury?
    I have a permanently injured neck (degenerated C4 & C5 with no disc between -- scar tissue supports the area). Per my orthopedic surgeon, anything that jars my spine is off the table (i.e. no running) and no lifting above my shoulders. I tried modifying yoga about 10 years ago but unfortunately, that was painful as well (although, I tried modifying it myself, not with the help of a therapist or qualified instructor)

I love walking. I'm slow but I can go on forever. Writing this post inspired me to walk on my lunch break yesterday (heaven!) but I do not usually have time for an actual break most days.
    I've been looking for options that I can do on the floor of my apartment in the evenings.

ladyzherra wrote: »
    Go easy on yourself! When I read your post, I felt a lot of self-defeat here. You are doing a good job, and you should commend yourself for what you DO do. This is a lesson that I have learned myself and, while it has not been easy and has taken much practice, I benefit a lot from being kind to myself.

I am a food addict and overeater, too. Sometimes this can definitely get me down. I do not have any injuries, but I worked as a fitness instructor for more than 10 years and I know a lot about working modifications and devoloping exercise routines that accomodate a wide range of injuries.

What is your injury?

(When you respond, can you tag me so I remember to come back to this thread?)

Jenn

• ladyzherra
    @StephanieBam

Thanks for following up!

Walking is wonderful and I'm glad you felt inspired to walk!

Yoga can definitely be modified to accommodate a neck and spine injury, but you'd want to read up on these and make sure you're sure about what to do before you begin. There are books and websites that have info about modifying for injury. Maybe splurge and get a book and study it for yourself before you try again. Also, listen to your body. Some postures will not feel good, so do not do those anymore. Only do the postures that make you feel really good.

Hang in there. Keep discovering ways to move your body that feel good

I wonder if you've tried water? Maybe go the YMCA and get a day pass and play around in the pool, and see how that feels. Maybe you can't swim but you can move your limbs, stretch, and play
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Hi new healing from a bad injury myself (Csection due to a dangerous checked all the boxes as I hit every branch in the way down type!) . Lost 43-45lbs range so far got a 2yr old.

Finding it tough even to find safe exercises I can do anymore.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Found out I can safely use a exercising band ! Never seen one before don’t even know where to buy one...Anyone know? Got to build my arms y stomach muscles back up so if you know wats to excersise with one also that be helpful!
  • ladyzherra
    @JRsLateInLifeMom

Exercise bands are great! I used to teach a class at the gym called "Core Art" and we used them regularly, but they are great for more than just core, too. You can find some bands on Amazon, like the SPRI brand, and there are different kinds. Bands are all weighted differently, so be sure that you get a range of "weights" for your band collection.
  • I am dealing with the expected arthritic sequelae to doing terrible things to one foot in a car accident 20 years ago and having it put back together with pins and screws.

I am doing a lot of weight work to overcome deconditioning, because most of that isn't weightbearing (or it's only mildly so; I can stand on one foot with support for one minute, no problem). I am also choosing a stationary bike over walking because it's less stressful to the feet, and slowly working up time on that.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    @ladyzherra Yes when I worked at a gym I saw them didn’t know what they were. I’m loving mine! Found 2 exercises I can do without injury or pain their working out great!
    I feel like it’s helping my scar tissue inside!

After the exercise band the past while I can now jump rope again without pain! Never thought 💭 with all the pain y injury I could get back to something like that!

Walking indoors going so good plus exercise band y jump rope I finally can go out with baby 👶 to places alone without a chaperone! All by myself to a hair salon or with baby no one helping feels freeing! Looking better too lost 50lbs so far now.The newer exercises helped a lot.

Healthy diet also helping.
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Got my exercise band on the old Walmart.com still on sale at the moment

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Black-Mountain-Products-Resistance-Band-Set/47346081
    I paid $16.99 on sale think it’s $22.93 at the moment
    I added a $2 jumprope last month I saw on sale at Walmart.

Before all the surgeries I used to weight lift not allowed to ever again .Treadmill haven’t tried got in the garage but baby cries if I’m out of site lol 😂 (Mama boy)

Wanting to get a few more things later but only after I get further along
  • samarsun
    samarsun Posts: 1 Member
    Hi @ladyzherra I’m a recent cancer survivor , gained 35 lbs during my treatments, use to be very active and fit, i have managed to lose 17 lbs, in 4 months,
    Very healthy eater, mostly walked as i was still regaining my energy from chemo, love my water but i hurt my back + I’m now on hormone therapy to lower my estrogen to prevent the cancer from coming back = menopause = harder to lose weight. I was instructed to avoid upper body workout until back issue is resolved and to watch my calories and not to exceed 1200 calories. I have to admit didn’t use the app in a while to watch my calories but I only used the app to ensure my sugar and sodium intakes are not too high. I feel defeated with being limited to easy low impact workout and I still have the energy of my 21 year old self.
    Any guidance would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Samar
  • rheinn1979
    rheinn1979 Posts: 8 Member
    Hi Samar! Congrats on the 17 lbs, that's still really hard to do. I have been enjoying cardi-yoga, things that are gentle on my back and bones and still providing a cardio work out. Surprisingly enough, the Ring Adventure on the Nintendo Switch is pretty gentle and keeps me from being too bored. And my little ones like to cheer me on.

Be gentle with yourself. Your body is recovering from a war, and it will take time to find your new normal. Treat your body as you would a dear friend with whom you've fallen out of touch. With compassion, gentleness and love. 1200 calories is a great goal, but you don't have to live or die by that number. If you have 1300 one day and 1100 another, you'll be ok. Just remember to be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

-Julia
    samarsun wrote: »
    Hi @ladyzherra I’m a recent cancer survivor , gained 35 lbs during my treatments, use to be very active and fit, i have managed to lose 17 lbs, in 4 months,
    Very healthy eater, mostly walked as i was still regaining my energy from chemo, love my water but i hurt my back + I’m now on hormone therapy to lower my estrogen to prevent the cancer from coming back = menopause = harder to lose weight. I was instructed to avoid upper body workout until back issue is resolved and to watch my calories and not to exceed 1200 calories. I have to admit didn’t use the app in a while to watch my calories but I only used the app to ensure my sugar and sodium intakes are not too high. I feel defeated with being limited to easy low impact workout and I still have the energy of my 21 year old self.
    Any guidance would be most appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Samar