Mud-run, yoga, running, climbing... What is your favourite exercise?

Mira5201
Mira5201 Posts: 4 Member
Hey to you all. :smile:

I was wondering what you all do as exercise. Have you found a passion for something? Maybe Climbing or running?

I am at a healthy weight, but am trying to get really fit. I decided to train for a mud run for my 30st birthday. (Which I couldn't do at all, because I had some torn bands in my ankle after I fell down the stairs. But I don't give up and try to do it next season. Also I am quite fond of running. I want to do some 5k and 10k events and more before I'll try a marathon training.
I am still not able to do one single pull up, but I will get there. I feel like there is so much I want to try ^^ Can anyone relate?
I hope we can inspire one another to try out new things. :blush:
Have a great day.
Mira

Replies

• ellie117
    ellie117 Posts: 293 Member
    I cannot do a single pull up either, and I don't think I could even do 10 push-ups right now. Eventually I'd like to be able to do both exercises well, but I don't even know where to start.

My husband did a mud run once, and loved it. If you like to get cold, wet, and dirty, it's definitely for you! Hope you get to one next year.
  • xelsoo
    xelsoo Posts: 194 Member
    I'm trying to get my first ever pull up! It has been awhile now that I'm trying :D but I'm not giving up. Can do 8 with a resistance band to help me up, that's my best attempt yet.

I live in a big city so outdoor sports are a bit of a challenge, though I love rock climbing and there are some indoor areas I could try and go to. I want to sign up to dance classes as I used to do them as a kid and enjoyed them so much. I also tried a circus class! It was sooo challenging and everything hurt for a week after. Only problem is it's too far from my place to make it stick..so now I'm trying to find something challenging to do that I can add to my weekly routine besides the usual gym in the morning.

Have you thought maybe of swimming? Volleyball or another group sport? Those are some of the things I'd like to do if I found them available around me.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    I used to do a lot of long distance running - which I loved - until an old ankle injury caught up with me during a marathon training and suddenly running wasn't an option anymore. As an alternative, I started to bike to work 2 - 3 times a week (66km/41miles per day) to keep the cardio going. Unfortunately, I can only do this during 7 months, as it is through a very secluded area and not safe during winter months in the dark.
    I'm also trying the pushup challenge, which I should restart urgently. <rolleyes>

But my true passion is scuba diving (since 20 years). I normally do at least 2 dives a week close to home - which is literary freezing cold in the winter when even salt water can turn into slush. All my holidays revolve around diving as well. Obviously, I'm an outdoorsy person and I really need fresh air after spending 10 hours at the office, so I keep the gym as the very last resort.
  • Antiopelle
    Antiopelle Posts: 1,184 Member
    That's impressive @HoneyBadger06. I get scared just looking at your profile picture !
  • cayenne_007
    cayenne_007 Posts: 668 Member
    I enjoy yoga/pilates type stuff. PiYo is TOUGH & lately I've been doing quick workouts on my lunch hour thru a Yoga Burn program - resistance bands/yoga. I've been doing a Push Up Challenge (currently on break due to injury) but it's a quick simple way to build strength that doesn't require equipment. I don't have access to a gym so I try to be creative with body weight exercises. I also ride my bike out down country roads a couple of times a week - I'm hard core about it but it's a fun way to get some fresh air and a bit of cardio.

My favorite - anything horseback or at the barn. I run barrels & train colts so I ride most days. My biggest motivation to be strong is to be as competitive as possible at races. Running horses takes lots of core strength & balance if you're going to be any good......and dang jockeys are skinny.
  • jacau
    jacau Posts: 139 Member
    For me it's running and pole dance. Running I used to do 3 to 4 times a week until some injuries slowed me down and made it challenging to get back into this kind of frequency. Usually, I'd do about 10k per training. Through my boyfriend I discovered trail runs. So we do go and train sometimes together, or go for an event somewhere in the mountains or other countries and then aim for 20k sort of distances to get more out of the views.

As for pole, I do that a few years now. Far from being a pro as I don't train enough. I just can't get myself into doing some strength or flexibility things at home. I need someone to kick me into action for this. But at least I can now do some pull and push ups. Before, that was a hopeless feat, hahaha.

Whatelse, I am fortunate to live close to where I work so I can cycle to and from every day. We have a group of colleagues with who I go for walks during the coffee and lunch breaks if the weather permits. So I easily get 20-30 minutes cycling and at 1 hour of walking by the end of a working day.

I also have a motorbike but find I hardly ever use it nowadays since I met my boyfriend. He doesn't drive himself. And going by myself somewhere for a fun cruise is just not necessarily my favorite thing to do.

In the past, I was into handball, horseback riding (@cayenne_007 I envy you! Would love picking it up again, just no stable close by...), and some stuff at the gym. More often than not it was just not for me in the long run. Or moving to another location took the opportunity from me.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    ThatJuJitsuWoman Posts: 155 Member
    It’s probably obvious that Ju-jitsu is my passion. I’ve been training since I was ten years old and teaching it for the last 20 years.
    I also love running and lifting weights, and I try to do a short yoga session every morning to relieve the aches from the previous day’s workout!
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    I'm working on getting strong enough to do an ashtanga jump-through.

http://practicingashtanga.com/the-vinyasa/

So I'm working on strengthening my arms, obliques, core, legs: everything really.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    Cerizez wrote: »

So I'm working on strengthening my arms, obliques, core, legs: everything really.

I love how yoga looks so slow and gentle, but anyone who can move like this is actually incredibly strong!

Are you increasing your strength with yoga, or using other exercises as well?
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,495 Member
    Pole fitness is my passion (although I also ride horses - jumping and dressage). Everthing else I do is in support of pole. Strength training? Great. Makes me stronger for pole moves. Flexibility training? Awesome. I need to get bendier for pole! Losing weight? Yay! You'll never hold an Iron-X if you don't get a little lighter!
  • lindsaywalker5015
    lindsaywalker5015 Posts: 58 Member
    I keep changing sports. Used to be badminton and triathlon, then back country skiing and climbing. I moved away from mountains and now my favorite sports are road biking and underwater rugby (so fun and no one's heard of it).

Anyone change activities frequently?

I really don't like indoor cardio on a machine but I've done strength training the past 17 years.
  • ThatJuJitsuWoman
    I’m curious about the underwater rugby! Is that exactly what it sounds like? Playing rugby in a pool?
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    edited November 2019
    I love yoga and try to do it every day. I do live yoga classes from home with ompractice.

I also love step aerobics and weight lifting
  • StatChicBayes
    StatChicBayes Posts: 349 Member
    I am finding that I love weight lifting - I have been working with a trainer to get started 2 days a week and on my own for a third day - working on meeting strength goals for bench press, deadlift, back squats etc and to be able to do an un-assisted pull up! For cardio, I started taking spin classes in March and love them! I am tracking power and working on trying to improve my power to weight ratio! Its a great low-impact cardio activity to complement step aerobics or latin dance.
  • Cerizez
    Cerizez Posts: 155 Member
    Cerizez wrote: »

I love how yoga looks so slow and gentle, but anyone who can move like this is actually incredibly strong!

Are you increasing your strength with yoga, or using other exercises as well?

Hi,
    I read somewhere that yoga's approach to preparing for poses is to 'kick and pray'. And that seems to be the case for me: I've never seen any benefits to my strength or ability to perform poses just from yoga. (and judging from most yoga classes I've been to, no-one else ever seems to get stronger either). So I'm seeing a personal trainer to build strength in arms and shoulders, and following some gymnasts online who train for parallel bars and the 'L-sit' to build strength at the tops of my legs and my abs.
  • Kirstysargeant321
    Kirstysargeant321 Posts: 18 Member
    I used to do long distance running and horse riding, now I play rugby which I absolutely adore! I've v recently gotten in to lifting weights at the gym, leg day is my fave, also working on those pullups!! And skiing is great fun also