C25K

gewel321
gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
Anyone done this successfully? How big or out of shape where you when you started?

I am thinking about starting this. But I am super out of shape! I have been doing Zumba but for some reason my head is making me think this running is going to be sooooooo much harder.

Replies

• merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited October 2019
    I just finished about two weeks ago. I started at the beginning of August, which would put me around 317 lbs at the time. I was completely out of shape, though I had been pushing myself to walk more. Even so, I struggled with the initial minute long running intervals.

It was difficult at first, but I built up strength in my legs and it improved. Don't be afraid to take more rest days if you need them, or to repeat workouts if you're not feeling ready for the next step.

I'm 290 now... and I attribute a lot of my progress since then to running.

If you have more questions, I'm glad to answer whatever I can.
  • gewel321
    merph518 wrote: »
    I just finished about two weeks ago. I started at the beginning of August, which would put me around 317 lbs at the time. I was completely out of shape, though I had been pushing myself to walk more. Even so, I struggled with the initial minute long running intervals.

It was difficult at first, but I built up strength in my legs and it improved. Don't be afraid to take more rest days if you need them, or to repeat workouts if you're not feeling ready for the next step.

I'm 290 now... and I attribute a lot of my progress since then to running.

If you have more questions, I'm glad to answer whatever I can.

Thank you so much for your comment. Running is scary for me. Always has been. My knees aren't the greatest. But I have always wanted to run. I think I am going to try it out and see how it goes. Start slow and maybe repeat the earlier weeks a few times.

I'm also a LOOOOOOOONG time smoker. Just quit recently so my lung capacity isn't great on top of the extra 100lbs I'm carrying!
  • merph518
    edited October 2019
    Definitely start by running slow. Distance/time spent running is more important than pace. You can work on pace later.

Best of luck to you! Let us know how it goes.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    I did it a couple of years ago, I wasn't totally unfit, but I hadn't run since I was a teenager (around 20 years ago) I was about 220lbs when I started doing it.

Just make sure you have decent supportive footwear, take it slow and repeat weeks if you have to. If something feels uncomfortable don't push it.
  • gewel321
    Got the all clear from Physical Therapy to start running...it has rained everyday and now all apparently it is snowing. Blah. Guess I’m just stuck with the gym and Zumba for now. Weather here changes all the time.
  • merph518
    Could always start on a treadmill :)