Too Much Coffee?

Options
TheDevastator
TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
I’ve been drinking 12 cups of coffee a day and would like more. Is there any research or information that too much coffee is bad for you? I feel great having that much. I do add salt, potassium chloride, and mineral drops to it to keep me hydrated.

Replies

• kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I could likely find an equal numbers of articles/studies regarding good and bad.

Anecdotal: I was advised in 2000 by my neurologist to not use caffeine in regards to my dystonia. I've been drinking decaf which I am aware has a little caffeine. Now if I drink regular coffee my heart races, I get the "jitters" and sometimes get this weird nauseousness.

It's not good for me regardless of research. YMMV.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    If you're a stimulant junkie, then 12 cups of coffee may not be a hindrance. As for benefits, it's ergogenic, increases fat burning (given a caloric deficit), reduces appetite, increases alertness, etc. Negatives include sleep disturbance, jitteriness, GI distress if sensitivity occurs, etc.

As long as you're not using coffee as a vessel for calories (butter, cream, and so on), it's fine within reason.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I could likely find an equal numbers of articles/studies regarding good and bad.

Anecdotal: I was advised in 2000 by my neurologist to not use caffeine in regards to my dystonia. I've been drinking decaf which I am aware has a little caffeine. Now if I drink regular coffee my heart races, I get the "jitters" and sometimes get this weird nauseousness.

It's not good for me regardless of research. YMMV.

I am in agreement. There is no science behind how much is good or is bad. I have been working to find such research and have not

I wish there was research out there when it comes to things like coffee and vitamin D3, etc. Stories from users is all I have found but they can be helpful..

Being aware there can be side effects from what we consume is about all one can do.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    I really don’t see a downside to a full pot of coffee a day. It gives me energy for all the stupid things I do!
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://studyfinds.org/study-caffeine-xanax-found-in-pure-blood-samples-used-for-transfusions/

Drinking coffee is showing up along with drugs in our medical blood sources.
  • TheDevastator
    Options
    Salting my coffee stops dehydration, lowers blood pressure, gives me minerals, and is supposed to stop the coffee from tasting too bitter.
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    Salting my coffee stops dehydration, lowers blood pressure, gives me minerals, and is supposed to stop the coffee from tasting too bitter.

Man you have this coffee thing down to a science. :)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Basically it comes down to the individual. It's been a while since I've read through it but this study is a review of 26 other studies done with links (IIRC) to those studies:

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0278691517301709?via=ihub

I significantly cut back my caffeine this year and I've been amazed at the improvements I've seen personally in sleep, hormone regulation, and generalized energy. It's not one of the things I really focused on but I did a little digging after seeing improvements. I resisted the advice from my coach to consider cutting back and then when I did cut back I saw some health improvements I'd really been looking for, so I personally, won't go back. But I still love good coffee and am a total coffee snob. lol