Blood Keytones too high?

Options
RJC8082
RJC8082 Posts: 5 Member
I have been in ketosis for over 2 months and my blood tests have been averaging 3.5 to 3.8
I did some online searching and found mixed answers.
Anyone have some insight?
And if this is too high, do I cut back on my current (70% fat ratio & 5% carb and 25% prot) 1200 cal a day?
Thx

Replies

• CentaurusSoter
    CentaurusSoter Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Are you a diabetic by any chance? Ketoacidosis is a risk for those with Diabetes IIRR. If you are, google some articles on DKA and Keto management.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    MFP recommends men eat a minimum of 1500 calories per day. Why are you eating so little and what is your goal for being in ketosis?
  • RJC8082
    RJC8082 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am doing keto to lose wgt and reduce my insulin resistance
    I am pre-diabetic but no meds
    The keto cal I used said, based on my age wgt and activity level my base calories is 2473
    So to lose 2 lbs a week I should eat 1288
    I do 16:8 intermittent fast 5 days a week and 2 meals a day with no hunger
    Thx
  • CBell223
    CBell223 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you need more food. I wouldn't suggest you go below 1400, particularly if you are exercising. As I understand it, it's also better to (rather than percentages), be sure you aim for the specific numbers on Carbs and Protein, then fill in the rest with fat. I don't know what your numbers are, but...let's say, 30g Carbs and 100g Protein. It's best to split those up over the day too. Your body can't use much more than 30g of Protein at a time and if it doesn't use it, it turns it into glucose. So....maybe 2 meals and a snack? Just so you can split up the protein a bit? Just an opinion.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    That ketone level is not dangerous. You’re not at risk of DKA unless your body doesn’t make insulin.
    Metabolic acidosis is quite often misdiagnosed as DKA in people on keto diet. It’s even happened to my own daughter who is also Type 1 diabetic. She was not in DKA. She had metabolic acidosis from dehydration. Which would seem odd to many people since she drinks a lot of water... she doesn’t however supplement electrolytes like she should. That’s what the problem is with metabolic acidosis in people on keto. Neglect of electrolytes.

Total blood energy is around 6mmol so if you have a ketone level of 3.5 then your blood sugar could be around 65-75 which is fine. Especially if you are fasted.
    It’s also possible eating high fat is increasing ketones and creating an abundance of total energy. If ketones are 3.8 and blood sugar is like 100 then those ketones are more than likely from taking in a very high fat food. In an excess energy situation your body will start to store it away.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    CBell223 wrote: »
    Your body can't use much more than 30g of Protein at a time and if it doesn't use it, it turns it into glucose.

I have heard this before, but I don't see any evidence of it on my glucose meter. I can believe that I am an anomaly with this phenomenon, but it is not universal.