Digestive issues - Possibly TMI

Options
Genette38
Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
Hi Guys,

I've been doing Paleo for just under a week now and it has certainly been a learning curve! One of the biggest issues I have found is with digestive issues. I'm just going to come out and say it, poo. It's very loose and I would like to know, is that normal for a newbie or am I doing something wrong?

My diary is open so if anyone wants to take a look, please do. Just to clarify, I haven't logged today as I had a horrendous day and fell completely back into old habits, I can't face the reality of it yet. Maybe I'll wait until the sugar coma wears off. I've also been eating peanut butter all week as I only realised yesterday your not supposed to (oops).

Any tips would be great!

Thanks

Siousix

Replies

• hilliardjoe
    hilliardjoe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If you are adding coconut oil to your diet for the first time (or greatly increasing your consumption of it) it may cause digestive issues until your body adjusts to it.

Heck, just increasing the amount of any fat to your diet will probably cause some issues as your body switches over.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Also,
    If you have greatly increased the amount of veggies you are eating,this is very normal.
    I am on day 7 of Auto Immune whole 30 and it's been happening for me as well.
    It will improve once your body gets used to it all.
  • Genette38
    Genette38 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, glad to hear it's not permanent!

For anyone looking after this, I've now updated my horrendous day today so if you could just pretend you didn't see that, that would be great :laugh:
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    justaspoonfulofsugar Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    looks like a hangover day to me!
    I'm sure you already know but soya milk is a definite no no in primal/paleo world.
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    You could try adding in digestive enzymes. Whole9life suggests Now Foods Digest Platinum. Whatever you get, read the ingredients because many contain wheat, soy, and sugar. My "tummy" was a mess during the first week of my Whole30 and it greatly improved when I began taking digestive enzymes. It will also take your body a little time to get used to the new way you are eating. Hang in there but don't beat yourself up for a slip up. Just drink lots of water and start again the following day :)
  • ThePrimalSpartan
    ThePrimalSpartan Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    It's definitely not permanent! It's just your body adjusting to the increased fat content. It's especially prevalent for those missing their gallbladders (like me).
  • jennaworksout
    jennaworksout Posts: 1,739 Member
    Options
    yes , normal, I was the same at first...it does get back to normal
  • kts1988
    kts1988 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    i had the same problem when i started paleo a month and a half ago and am now back to normal. i used immodium and it helped a lot.
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to say hello and wish you the best on your new Paleo life style.

Not sure if you're aware, but bread (toast), oats, biscuits, lemon cake (any cake) are all not Paleo. You're using a "Soya Spread"...is that a soy product? It is recommended to avoid soy.

Malt vinegar has gluten in it.

It's always a learning curve at first. Try almond butter instead of peanut butter, I actually like it better now!

=)
  • bradlette
    bradlette Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Haha, not TMI for me. This topic is one of the reasons I am doing paleo, since I have had problems with constipation & the ills that go along with that since I was in my early 20s. When I first started paleo after being a vegetarian for 18 years, I was shocked by my incredibly "loose" bathroom visits. However, after a week or two, things normalized, and bathroom visits became more comfortable than they had been since I was a child. Hope this anecdote helps.