What do you do to shake things up - last 10lbs

Options
fknlardarse
fknlardarse Posts: 210 Member
Hi I’ve lost a stone but still have 10lbs to goal and I seem to have plateaued for the last month, lost 0.5lbs in the last 4 weeks.
I’d normally freak about that but I’m loving this WOE so I’ve been happily hovering here for a few weeks.
Now I’m wondering how to get things moving again. I know the last bit is the hardest so what are your tips to shake things up please?
I’m eating between 1300-1600 calories a day. 60-70%fat, 20-30%protein, 10-15%carbs.

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try a protein sparing modified fast maybe
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I lowered my carbs to Keto levels, lowered my fats, upped my protein level and added intermittent fasting.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I'm on the last 5 lbs...less fat and more protein seems to be working, but it's still terribly slow, like 2-3 lbs in a month tops, and sometimes less.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options

This is a terrible diet and generally not recommended unless the OP is a seasoned dieter.

OP, do you exercise? Do you use a food scale? Do you consistently log food?
  • fknlardarse
    Options
    What’s one of these SunnyBunny? Intrigued. I like doing 16:8 sometimes and I’ve done one 24 hour fast.

• fknlardarse
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

This is a terrible diet and generally not recommended unless the OP is a seasoned dieter.

Hi psuLemon yes I do. Measure weigh and log everything. I have for years but have only recently found lchf.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    PSMF is typically less than 800 calories/day of mostly protein.

800 calories/day of any type is not supported by MFP because it's too low to be nutritionally complete and no one should be eating so little unless they are doing so under doctor supervision.
  • psuLemon
    Options

Hi psuLemon yes I do. Measure weigh and log everything. I have for years but have only recently found lchf.

Have you taken diet breaks?

Typically, i find that if people hit a plateau and have dieted awhile that i can be worth taking a few week diet break.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    PSMF is typically less than 800 calories/day of mostly protein.

800 calories/day of any type is not supported by MFP because it's too low to be nutritionally complete and no one should be eating so little unless they are doing so under doctor supervision.

Its a bit more than that. Its pretty much a pure protein diet. All carbs come from low gi fibrous veggies, 1g of protein/lb of body weight and 20-30g of fat, with a lot of that coming from fish oils.
  • fknlardarse
    Options

Typically, i find that if people hit a plateau and have dieted awhile that i can be worth taking a few week diet break.
    Brilliant I love this! Thank you I will definitely do this! Does the weight start coming off again after a break do you think?
  • psuLemon
    Options

Brilliant I love this! Thank you I will definitely do this! Does the weight start coming off again after a break do you think?

In my experience yes. But keep in mind a diet break is about eating at maintenance for 2 weeks and not going crazy. When you come back, have a small to moderate deficit.
  • fknlardarse
    Options

In my experience yes. But keep in mind a diet break is about eating at maintenance for 2 weeks and not going crazy. When you come back, have a small to moderate deficit.

Will do! Thank you. This feels like it makes a lot of sense. Our bodies will be under stress while losing weight. This will give mine a rest before being ready to start again. I definitely won’t go crazy I’m determined to get this last 10lbs off. I find on lchf I’m not craving the usual nasties anyway, it’ll give me a few more calories for some more cheese haha!!!

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    edited November 2019
    Options
    What’s one of these SunnyBunny? Intrigued. I like doing 16:8 sometimes and I’ve done one 24 hour fast.

You don’t really have to do it super low calorie but contrary to the opinion expressed above, it’s perfectly ok if you do it the way it’s meant to be done. Very short term. Like a couple days a week. It’s not a way of eating or a lifestyle. It’s a tool to create more fat loss in a short time.
    When I do it periodically, it’s like 2 days of eating to satiety lean meats. Then I eat my regular carnivore diet the other days. I don’t actually track calories on it. You get full eating lean meat quite quickly so it’s really hard to over eat. It’s very plain too so you don’t really have the drive to just keep eating and eating.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb 100 gr or less and have been trying to lose 5 lbs all summer. I finally just accepted myself at this weight and quit trying so hard. I just ate small amounts of carby fattening foods and went on and forgot about it. This morning I was down those 5 lbs! This week I ate different foods rather than the same stuff I eat every day. It worked and I did not plan it. I had some beef stew, meatloaf, a little and I mean little mac and cheese and mashed potatoes and a little potato soup. Changing it up helped reboot my metabolism!
  • psuLemon
    Options

You don’t really have to do it super low calorie but contrary to the opinion expressed above, it’s perfectly ok if you do it the way it’s meant to be done. Very short term. Like a couple days a week. It’s not a way of eating or a lifestyle. It’s a tool to create more fat loss in a short time.
    When I do it periodically, it’s like 2 days of eating to satiety lean meats. Then I eat my regular carnivore diet the other days. I don’t actually track calories on it. You get full eating lean meat quite quickly so it’s really hard to over eat. It’s very plain too so you don’t really have the drive to just keep eating and eating.

To be clear, i have no problem with PSMF or even low calorie. But PSMF is an extremely hard diet which most people don't have the knowledge or ability to execute. And yes, i have personal experience with it.

If a person wants to have one or two lower calorie days, there is no issue IMHO, but i have also seen more people be successful by implementing what i have suggested.

But both methods are valid.