Thanksgiving tips

Options
ConfidentRaven
ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
Thanksgiving and other Special Days

I decided that I would take a moment and compile a few ideas from both here and other groups I’m a part of for dealing with Thanksgiving and other special days. One thing that I try to keep in mind is that learning how to handle these days is part of the fitness journey.

Eat at Maintenance Calories
One thing that I have noticed is that many people have an all or nothing attitude about their way of eating. It’s either they’re on track and eating at a deficit or they are overeating. However, eating at maintenance, or even a little under can be useful in keeping from a binge. Plan out what you can have within your maintenance calorie level and eat at your normal deficit the other days of the week. You might still have a gain, but it should be less than if you have an all out binge.

Bank Calories
Some people I know bank calories. To do this they eat under their usual deficit for a few days to up to a week before and sometimes even after the special event. They then don’t worry about calories or they will eat at maintenance on the special day. The idea is that weight loss is based off a weekly deficit and the day to day doesn’t matter as much. The one issue with this is that you can wipe out an entire week’s deficit by one day of binge so be careful.

Drink Water
Another suggestion I saw was to drink water before and if possible during an event. The theory is that you are less hungry and therefore will eat less.

Eat First
If you have a party/event where you can’t plan out your food have a snack/salad/soup a short time before your party/event. The theory is that you won’t want to eat as much and won’t binge.

Nibble
Have a little of everything you want, but only a little. The theory is that you won’t eat enough to go over your calories. I would imagine that goes well with the next suggestion.

One Meal

The day of your event only eat at the event and at no other point that day. The theory is that there is no way you’ll eat more than your maintenance calories.

Eat Less Early in the Day
Don’t want to eat only one meal? Then eat light the rest of the day giving you more calories for your special event.

Exercise More

Get in more exercise or activity on the day of your event because you’ll be able to eat more calories. With this one keep in mind that calorie trackers for exercise are notoriously high so be careful when using this method.

Think Gross Thoughts
I really didn’t know the label to put on this tip, but someone suggested that you imagine that someone has spit on all the food. It’s supposed to make you less likely to eat the foods you want to avoid.

I think I got all of them, if you have a tip let me know and I’ll add it to the list for the next holiday!

Replies

• papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Those are good! I have two

1) Is it special enough? - is this a special food or can I get it anytime I want? If it's Grandma's famous chocolate cake that she only makes at christmas then I have a piece and don't worry. If it's chocolate cake from Kroger....maybe I'll pass, I can get that any time I want.

2) Is it worth it? Is this food worth the price of the calories? One restaurant I go to has this amazing ice cream brownie desert. It's worth the calories. My coworkers and I went to a different restaurant that also had an ice cream brownie desert. It paled in comparison to the first restaurant. I took one bite, realized it wasn't worth it and let my coworkers finish it off.
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    @88olds I'll add those examples for the next time I post, which I'm betting will be next month. I like changing it to think negative thoughts about the food. I haven't tried it yet, but next time I'm tempted I just might.

@papayahed I love those! Do you mind if I add them for next time? The first one, is it special enough, has worked for me. I started having a half serving of Nutella daily in my yogurt and it's been enough to keep me from chocolate binges because I always have it.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Good tips. I definitely agree with exercise, making it a meal rather than a day, and asking whether it is worth it. I have three big meals next week to contend with for the holidays-we celebrate a lot in my family. I have my game plan and know already which meals I plan to indulge, which ones that I am going to go with the healthier options, and which ones I am bringing my own food. Planning above all else to me is key to controlling the situation.
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options

@papayahed I love those! Do you mind if I add them for next time? The first one, is it special enough, has worked for me. I started having a half serving of Nutella daily in my yogurt and it's been enough to keep me from chocolate binges because I always have it.

Of course you can! They aren't actually mine anyways, a nutritionist gave me those tips.
  • conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    I found these holiday tips in old posts and thought they might help someone on Thanksgiving!
  • _inHisGrace
    _inHisGrace Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Thanks for resurrecting this thread Connie!

I am the one cooking and my one tip is not to taste a spoonful of everything while you are cooking it. I’m thinking specifically about mashed potatoes for me. There is no need to taste them I can look right at them and tell if I added enough butter and milk.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options

I am the one cooking and my one tip is not to taste a spoonful of everything while you are cooking it. I’m thinking specifically about mashed potatoes for me. There is no need to taste them I can look right at them and tell if I added enough butter and milk.

I buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes!...they are always good and one thing I don’t have to worry with!...
  • gewel321
    gewel321 Posts: 718 Member
    Options

I buy Bob Evans mashed potatoes!...they are always good and one thing I don’t have to worry with!...

I LOVE Bob Evans mashed potatoes! We have them once a week. Super easy and not too bad caloriewise.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    Thanksgiving and other Special Days

I decided that I would take a moment and compile a few ideas from both here and other groups I’m a part of for dealing with Thanksgiving and other special days. One thing that I try to keep in mind is that learning how to handle these days is part of the fitness journey.

Eat at Maintenance Calories
    One thing that I have noticed is that many people have an all or nothing attitude about their way of eating. It’s either they’re on track and eating at a deficit or they are overeating. However, eating at maintenance, or even a little under can be useful in keeping from a binge. Plan out what you can have within your maintenance calorie level and eat at your normal deficit the other days of the week. You might still have a gain, but it should be less than if you have an all out binge.

Bank Calories
    Some people I know bank calories. To do this they eat under their usual deficit for a few days to up to a week before and sometimes even after the special event. They then don’t worry about calories or they will eat at maintenance on the special day. The idea is that weight loss is based off a weekly deficit and the day to day doesn’t matter as much. The one issue with this is that you can wipe out an entire week’s deficit by one day of binge so be careful.

Drink Water
    Another suggestion I saw was to drink water before and if possible during an event. The theory is that you are less hungry and therefore will eat less.

Eat First
    If you have a party/event where you can’t plan out your food have a snack/salad/soup a short time before your party/event. The theory is that you won’t want to eat as much and won’t binge.

Nibble
    Have a little of everything you want, but only a little. The theory is that you won’t eat enough to go over your calories. I would imagine that goes well with the next suggestion.

One Meal

The day of your event only eat at the event and at no other point that day. The theory is that there is no way you’ll eat more than your maintenance calories.

Eat Less Early in the Day
    Don’t want to eat only one meal? Then eat light the rest of the day giving you more calories for your special event.

Exercise More

Get in more exercise or activity on the day of your event because you’ll be able to eat more calories. With this one keep in mind that calorie trackers for exercise are notoriously high so be careful when using this method.

Think Gross Thoughts
    I really didn’t know the label to put on this tip, but someone suggested that you imagine that someone has spit on all the food. It’s supposed to make you less likely to eat the foods you want to avoid.

I think I got all of them, if you have a tip let me know and I’ll add it to the list for the next holiday!

With the holidays quickly approaching, I thought these tips might help some of us!

There are so many good older posts!
  • Bella_Figura
    Bella_Figura Posts: 3,900 Member
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I agree about the wealth of wisdom in the older threads @conniewilkins56 - I mine them frequently for tips and information!

We don't have Thanksgiving here in the UK, but I'm already planning ahead for Christmas, because countless times I've gone off the rails at Christmas and then been unable to get back on track come January. So this year I have a plan....

We're hosting Christmas for my husband's family (MIL, MIL's 'gentleman friend', BIL, SIL, two nephews). They're arriving just after breakfast on Christmas Eve and leaving after lunch on 30th December. All with different food and drink requirements, so our house is already resembling the food hall at Harrods, with 8 weeks still to go until they arrive.

Deficit Break
    I'm taking a deficit break from 24th - 31st December. Which is 8 days instead of the recommended 10, but I'm hoping that will be enough to give my body a sufficient breather so that it's ready to cope with running at deficit for the first 10 weeks of 2022, until my next deficit break in mid-March.

Daily calorie budget
    I've applied a traffic light system to the 8 days:
    Red Days - Christmas Day and Boxing Day. Calories around 4000/day
    Amber Days - Christmas Eve, 27th, 28th, 29th. Calories around 2500/day
    Green Days - 30th, 31st. Maintenance calories of around 1800/day.

Anticipated weight gain
    Given the varying amounts of exercise I'll do each day, it means that across the 8 days, I'll actually exceed my TDEE by about 7000 calories (which is about 2lbs of actual weight gain).To counteract some of that, I'm planning to run a more aggressive deficit of 1000 cals/day for the 6 days running up to Christmas Eve. Which means that over the whole 2 week period from 18th - 31st December, my net calories will amount to around a 1000 calorie surplus - which equates to less than half a pound of true weight gain.

Food planning
    I worked out what my calories might be on Christmas Day if I ate and drank moderately, but still partook of some of the treats. I thought it might reach 4000 calories, but it actually came to 6.259 calories! It's frighening how quickly the calories add up. So then I worked out a revised day's eating, and it came in at around 3.600 calories.

So that led me down the path of traffic-lighting all the foods/drinks that will be available too.
    Red foods/drinks will be completely off-limits for me. I won't even have a sip, bite or nibble.
    Amber foods/drinks are allowable, but in strictly controlled and measured portions.
    Green foods/drinks I can eat freely.

Leftovers
    And then I started planning what to do with the mountains of inevitable leftovers (especially the confectionary, savoury snacks and cakes/puddings). They'll all be packed up and dispatched off with the in-laws, leaving us with a temptation-free house come 31st December.

At least that's the plan.

But you know the old saying: Man plans. God laughs.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    ^^ Wow that is some planning! Note to self - that is why Bella is doing so well 🤔🥰
  • Bella_Figura
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Janatki wrote: »
    ^^ Wow that is some planning! Note to self - that is why Bella is doing so well 🤔🥰

Can you tell I have a type A personality? I do love a nice list and an organised plan... :D
  • Bella_Figura
    Options
    This is the list of foods that are on my red list, that I won't have even a nibble, bite or sip. Luckily I'm not keen on any of them...

Christmas cake
    Christmas pudding
    Brandy butter
    Mince pies
    Yule log
    Stollen
    Gingerbread
    Kettles crisps
    Pringles
    Tortilla chips
    Cheesy footballs
    Cheese straws
    Sausage rolls
    Peanut M&Ms
    Cadbury's Roses
    Truffles
    Turkish delight
    Rose and violet creams
    Chocolate covered brazils
    Chocolate covered peanuts and raisins
    Shortbread
    Florentines
    Baileys
    Port
    Mulled wine

Do people even want all this for Christmas? My husband insists his family will be disappointed if we don't have them all in abundance. I suspect hardly any will get eaten and the inlaws' cars will be stuffed to the gills on their journey home. Sounds a bit bah-humbug but I think it's a colossal waste of money. And this is just the eating-between-meals stuff...

I am soooooo glad I don't have a sweet tooth.
  • Janatki
    Janatki Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I need to start thinking and planning - obviously too much of a “just let it roll” type personality here🤔
  • Yoolypr
    Yoolypr Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    My goodness! That’s quite the celebration. Our extended families live over 1000 away and we see them in summer. So our holidays are quiet and simple. Sometimes I miss the activity but after seeing your list maybe not so much.
  • conniewilkins56
    Options
    We have gone from huge Thanksgiving feasts with lots of people, other times going out to a restaurant, to smaller dinners!…we have had Turkey with all the trimmings to bbq ribs, to a picnic, to a birthday party!…our daughter was born the day before Thanksgiving in 1982… this year our son and his wife will be in Trinidad on a cruise over the holiday….most of our friends and families live far away….it will only be the 6 of us that live here and half of them do not like baked turkey lol…I am sure we won’t go hungry!….

after a huge holiday eating marathon last year, I let the family know this year the holidays are going to be much less food….I was so full last year after the first of the year I thought I would explode….I will still cook and bake and have treats but not massive amounts….I take each of the grands separately for a full day of shopping and let them pick out whatever they having on their lists ( within limits lol )…we really have fun and we have lunch wherever they want to go….and then I have other surprises I get when I shop alone!…Aliyah and I bake cookies two or three entire days, frosting, baking and decorating…she is also great at wrapping gifts….her birthday is the day after Christmas….so the celebrations continue!…

I love the holidays!

• Bella_Figura
    Options
    Yoolypr wrote: »
    My goodness! That’s quite the celebration. Our extended families live over 1000 away and we see them in summer. So our holidays are quiet and simple. Sometimes I miss the activity but after seeing your list maybe not so much.

Last year my husband and I rented a remote cottage and hid away for the whole Christmas/New Year period. Our Christmas Day lunch was a individual Pieminster beef and stilton pie, mash, peas and gravy, followed by a small shop-bought chocolate mousse. Best Christmas lunch ever. Negligible washing up, no leftovers, no gluttony.

I hate the whole Christmas over-indulgence thing. My childhood Christmases were modest affairs, but my husband's family always go the whole hog. This year there's extra pressure to put on a good feast because his mom has leukaemia and she thinks it may be her last Christmas; she wants her whole family together, eating drinking and making merry. It would be churlish to be niggardly....
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,643 Member
    Options
    PAV8888 says: Luckily I'm not keen on any of them...
    WT*kittens* you smoking Bella: obviously this COULD NOT won't work for me!
    Christmas pudding
    Mince pies
    Yule log
    Truffles
    Shortbread
    Florentines
    Baileys
    Port
    Mulled wine
    Do people even want all this for Christmas?
    *kittens* yes!
    My husband insists his family will be disappointed if we don't have them all in abundance.
    OK some abundance control may not be a TERRIBLE idea under normal circumstances for a PAV... but where did you say I should park the plane on my way over for dinner?!?!?!
    I suspect hardly any will get eaten and the inlaws' cars will be stuffed to the gills on their journey home.
    SMART move the "unloading"!
    I am soooooo glad I don't have a sweet tooth.
    Sorry, WHAT? Who doesn't have WHAT?!!!?? yeah: :lol:

• lauriekallis
    lauriekallis Posts: 4,632 Member
    Options
    me too ... ill be there with bells on!!!