Slendier brand konjac noodles

Options
maiomaio71
maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
Our local supermarket sells these in a range of guises. Today I bought the pad thai type ones to try out with a vegetarian pad Thai for me and a chicken pad thai for the others. I was really impressed with them. They had the texture of "real" noodles, 10 calories per 100g and looked just the same as my usual pad thai. I had heard that konjac noodles had a weird smell and flavour, but these didn't. I'll definitely buy them again. The men in the house did notice they weren't the usual noodles but didn't realize they were not actually rice noodles. It made my dinner less than 300 calories!

Replies

• conniewilkins56
    conniewilkins56 Posts: 3,391 Member
    Options
    Hearing about the smell they are supposed to have turned me off of trying them...maybe I will give them a chance...thanks for sharing!
  • maiomaio71
    maiomaio71 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    No smell at all.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I haven't had shirataki noodles in maybe 10 years, but I definitely remember the smell from back then, along with a strange gummy texture to them. I'll have to give them a shot again, maybe they've increased in quality since then.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    I use them quite often. The ones I buy come from China (and are really cheap) and I think the smell is whatever they add to the water to extend their lifespan. I just rinse and use. When using this type of noodle beware of the ones that have soy added as they are more calories than the straight Konjac ones.