Living the Lifestyle-November 27, 2019

GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Thread starters for September are below:

Monday -88olds (George)
Tuesday - Imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday - gavinflynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - Al_Howard (Al Howard)

Today’s Topic: Not Thanksgiving Today, or How to Have a Holiday, Not a Holiweek

How do you treat the holiday season while living a healthy lifestyle? Do you indulge at all? Only on the holiday? Decide that it’s only a couple weeks out of the year, so it’s not a big deal?

Replies

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    I remember back when I first joined weight watchers there were some on GOAD who never change their eating pattern, whether it was a holiday or not. Others had success limiting themselves to just one day of indulging. Still others decided that it was worth indulging on multiple days because over the course of the year it would average out.

For me, my best version of a healthy lifestyle is when I generally limit it to one holiday (or two for Christmas Eve and Day). My exception to this rule is eggnog during the week of. I plan for, and limit myself to one half cup of eggnog during the entire week.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 6,202 Member
    In recent years I have indulged the most on Thanksgiving Day then Christmas Day indulgence but not quite as much then New Years day not as much. Beyond that I will do my best to hold the line most of the year.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 6,338 Member
    There are probably half a dozen days of the year where I find the challenge more difficult, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Super bowl Sunday, Easter, and Memorial Day/July 4th/Labor day.
    I have a slightly differnt plan for each of them, for Thanksgiving I have followed the soup spoon plan with some success. It allows me to place 1 soup spoon / table spoon of everything thats available on my plate so that I get to taste everything but not over indulge on anything. That works pretty well for me at dinner, its harder with appetizers and desserts. Have to wait and see how I do today.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    To every craving there is a season. Turn turn turn. Birthdays,holidays, week-ends and more. I treat thanksgiving as basicaly one meal and not a holi-week. I joined WW around Halloween and lost during the winter to spring months. I start w portion control but also limit some foods like stuffing. I am not really a stuffing fan so why start. I will have a sponfu or two if it is new and unique. I will eat some of my daughter's mash potatoes because it is a big deal for her but not mountains of it. Hoping not to bring home leftovers from her house or not much any way. We'll see.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    Thanksgiving is the one time a year I indulge in! DIL is great hostess with desserts I enjoy.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,526 Member
    Thanksgiving is a day. Christmas is a day. I can work around a couple of parties. If you’re pushing leftovers, I’ll take the turkey and veggies.

I really don’t want leftover pie, cookies or that big box of Fannie May someone decided we needed. But if you’re going to insist I’m not going to fight. I’m torn as to whether to let you know the sweets are headed to the trash.

Retired now, but I had gotten to the point where I wouldn’t even take that stuff to work.