This December I Will...

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited November 2019 in Social Groups
xyrdqrfyv1p3.jpg

Hello December!

While it's tempting to write off this season of merriment and excess, to put aside our healthy routines and just start fresh in January, let's not do that. In fact, adhering to a few good habits this month can the make all the difference between gaining weight or not gaining weight come January. Let's band together and finish 2019 strong! What do you want to accomplish this December?

Many of us find it useful to frame our goals along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This December I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit?
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019?

If you are new to our group, welcome! Let us know what your goal is and how we can help. If you're wondering why we suggest the format above, the CUE-ACTION-REWARD loop is the recommended structure for building all new habits. Want to learn more about habits? Check out this guide. And If you're stumped by what to work on this month, our list of previous challenges can help.

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I spent Thanksgiving down in Virginia and used a couple of treadmills I don't normally use. And I realized I hadn't done a HIIT session on a treadmill in eons. So I dusted off my 20 minute music playlist and had such a great workout! I felt fantastic when I stepped off the treadmill and decided to make resuming weekly HIIT sessions my December focus!

1. This December I will do two 20 min HIIT sessions on the treadmill or elliptical each week.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: not really applicable to this goal, I think.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I'm going to do these sessions on Fridays and Sundays. And I will set reminders in my calendar.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Twice a week
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I feel amazing after 20 minutes of interval training. That's all the reward I need.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019? HIIT will be back as part of my regular exercise routine.
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @themedalist, I love your intro for December. Thank you for such motivating and encouraging words! The picture is so pretty too.

1. This December I will continue with my 4 goals. 1) tidy 2) daily affirmations 3) 'healthy' logging 4) holiday preparation
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will be paying attention to the reminders on my phone and not going to bed until I have accomplished my goals, no matter how small of an action.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: See above
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Once a day
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? My reward is feeling good at the end of the day from accomplishing my goals. Better yet is waking up the next day feeling good about the prior day.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement and accountability. I also gain a lot from reading about other's experiences.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019? A healthy month where I have more or less maintained my weight, stayed positive and minimized stress.

• PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Hi Denise! So nice to see your post! I also like your intro to December. I would like to end 2019 on a strong note rather than my usual weak one...

I'm going to be repetitive by sticking with the same goal. I'm going to stick with this goal until I feel I am successful at it and then I'll change to a new one...hopefully in January!

1. My goal for this month (This December I will..."): Journal every bite, good or bad.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: Log on my phone or in my notebook and transfer to MFP at the end of the day. Take a picture if I don't have time to write it down.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit Eating. When I eat, I journal. That's the goal anyway.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Completing my MFP diary at the end of the day. I get satisfaction from completing each day.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement and accountability.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019? A full month of journaling so I can move onto another goal in January! :)

We can do this! Let's end 2019 strong!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Well, it's December, so I'm back to a sewing goal - rebooting last December and maybe May. I need to do some real sewing this month.

1. This December I will sew more - a lot more
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I'll spend at least 5 minutes every day doing something sewing related.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit. _ If I haven't done anything when I sit down for TV after dinner, I'll do handwork.
    4. How often will you do your new habit - at least 3 days per week, but I'm shooting for daily.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? A well done and I'll show off my work to family members. Maybe a fun emoticon too.
    6. What help do you need from us - encourage me!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019? I'll have 2 Regency reticules (purses) for my granddaughters DONE (their Christmas presents), and 2 Regency dresses, also for my granddaughters well on the way to being finished for a ball on January 25. Wish me luck.

Dec 1 - cut and sewed a mock up bodice for 1 dress 🧵
    Dec 2 - discussed mock up with sewing buddies 🧵
    Dec 3 - found a scrap of brocade that is perfect for the green reticule 🧵

Inspiration for reticule:
    psjlqr6wtp9q.jpg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,975 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    This December, I will lose weight to get back to my Jan 1, 2019 wt of 155 on Jan 1, 2020. This will be hugely validating. My goal for the rest of my life is to weigh 155 or below each New Year’s, my birthday, our anniversary, & Thanksgiving.

More soon on how I will accomplish this important goal!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    This December, I will lose weight to get back to my Jan 1, 2019 wt of 155 on Jan 1, 2020. This will be hugely validating. My goal for the rest of my life is to weigh 155 or below each New Year’s, my birthday, our anniversary, & Thanksgiving.

More soon on how I will accomplish this important goal![/quote]

Dec 3: 159.6❌❌⚠️
    Dec 4: 159.4 ❌❌⚠️
    This should continue to drop quickly now that routine is back & family have left.

Jan 1 Goal: 155
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

More soon on how I will accomplish this important goal!

This should continue to drop quickly now that routine is back & family have left.
    Dec 5: 158 ❌❌ progress

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    ]This December, I will lose weight to get back to my Jan 1, 2019 wt of 155 on Jan 1, 2020. This will be hugely validating. My goal for the rest of my life is to weigh 155 or below each New Year’s, my birthday, our anniversary, & Thanksgiving.

More soon on how I will accomplish this important goal! Walking daily, eating at home, spreading meals our, careful with calories, resting, mindfulness, and deep breathing to handle our ill, elderly cat (instead of eating)

Dec 6: 157 🧡

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,757 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    In spite of this week being the last of the semester and having lots of grading to do, I did do sewing work every day

Dec 4 - worked on resizing a reticule pattern 🧵
    Dec 5 - ordered reticule fabric and chose that pattern 🧵
    Dec 6 - sewed the sleeve darts and seams on bodice mock up #1🧵
    Dec 7 - set sleeves on mock up #1🧵

Here are the reticule fabrics, patterns, and the bodice mock up. Fitting of the mock up tomorrow- wish me luck!
    7lr7w7jkmauq.jpeg

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    77tes wrote: »
    In spite of this week being the last of the semester and having lots of grading to do, I did do sewing work every day

Dec 4 - worked on resizing a reticule pattern 🧵
    Dec 5 - ordered reticule fabric and chose that pattern 🧵
    Dec 6 - sewed the sleeve darts and seams on bodice mock up #1🧵
    Dec 7 - set sleeves on mock up #1🧵

Here are the reticule fabrics, patterns, and the bodice mock up. Fitting of the mock up tomorrow- wish me luck!
    7lr7w7jkmauq.jpeg

@77tes Fantastic Wow!!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @77tes I hope the fitting goes well tomorrow. There are a lot of steps that go into a project, aren’t there!? Nonsewers who just see the finished product have no idea!

@MadisonMolly2017 you’re going down! I do believe you will meet your Jan 1 goal.
  • nikicreates
    nikicreates Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Just joined the group and I'm a bit late to December, but why wait to start!

1. This December I will identify and plan my health strategy.
    2. To do this I will schedule realistic workout times that are achievable: 3 days a week/30 minutes a day.
    3. I've plugged this into my family calendar so I will be alerted when it's time to work out.
    4. I will be accountable by tracking those fitness days using MFP.
    5. I will reward myself with a long post-workout hot shower.
    6. Please help keep me accountable! I'm much more successful when I know I need to report back.
    7. If I can get 3 workout days a week by the end of this year, I will have been more successful than I've been all year!
  • nebslp
    Options
    Welcome to new members @SheilaCali and @nikicreates. It's never too late to start! I haven't declared my "this December" plan but it is very similar to both of yours. I truly enjoy lifting weights but have some serious work to do to get to where I want to be. Great plans, ladies!
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Thanks nebslp! Sounds like you're a great cheerleader...were you one in high school like I was? Keep on keeping on, making better choices! For Christmas I'm giving myself the gift of RESOLVE, and I'll use it daily. :)
  • nebslp
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @SheilaCali I was cheering from the sidelines 📣 but never was popular or athletic enough to be voted into the cheerleader role. I know someone who picks a word of the year and then keeps it in mind when making decisions. Resolve is a good word!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options

More soon on how I will accomplish this important goal! Walking daily, eating at home, spreading meals our, careful with calories, resting, mindfulness, and deep breathing to handle our ill, elderly cat (instead of eating)

Dec 6: 157 🧡
    Dec 7 157.2❌
    8 157.6❌
    9 157🧡
    10 157.2❌
    11 157.2❌
    Just too Much stress, but soon things will calm down.💕💕Good luck ALL!
    Not Giving Up!!! Ever!!!

• nebslp
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 December is always rough with so many things out of the regular routine. It’s going by so fast, maybe because there’s so much to think about and it just feels like I’m running out of time. We’re celebrating the 21st, so time is short, the list is long!
    “Not giving up!!! Ever!!!” ... 😍 love it 💗
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 December is always rough with so many things out of the regular routine. It’s going by so fast, maybe because there’s so much to think about and it just feels like I’m running out of time. We’re celebrating the 21st, so time is short, the list is long!
    “Not giving up!!! Ever!!!” ... 😍 love it 💗

@nebslp I do think it’s the key to weight loss & maintenance because every other time I got distracted or too disappointed with the normal regain when you stop dieting & eat more or went in a vacation & never got back on track.

In effect, whether consciously or unconsciously I gave up.

Not. This. Time!

Good luck with your preparations! Are their one or two things you could modify to make it easier on you?!💕
  • MessyApron
    MessyApron Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I’ve been absent from the group for a long time, and although I know December is half gone, I think it’ll do me more good to start now rather than waiting until the start of the month.

Therefore:
    1. This December I will be more active.
    2. I’m going to start going to bed at 10 and getting up at 6; this will give me enough time to start walking in the morning while I listen to my podcasts.
    3. As soon as my daughter is in bed I’ll lay out my walking clothes for the next morning. Seeing those clothes after my alarm goes off in the morning will be my cue to get outside and walk.
    4. I’m planning to walk outside every morning unless I happen to get sick or if the ground is too icy to safely walk on. Maybe I’ll go use a treadmill on bad weather days instead.
    5. I think I’ll reserve my favorite podcast (Greetings, Adventurers) to listen to only during these morning walks so that the reward is built in.
    6. What help do you need from us?
    I do well with someone keeping me accountable.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of 2019?
    I’ll be pleased if I can maintain my weight through the holidays, and thrilled if I can continue the trend of slow-and-steady weight loss I’ve shown over the past 6 weeks.