This December I Will...

Replies

• SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    I just figured out that it will take me 2 YEARS to lose the weight I want to. Wow, am I that committed? That's not very fun to think out. I lose weight very slowly, and now I'm fighting hormones too. I will take these steps one day at a time and celebrate small victories as they come. So much of it is a mind game, and I need to focus on what I'm doing right instead of beating myself up for failure. @77tes got to her goal weight, so I can too....Merry Christmas!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    SheilaCali wrote: »
    I just figured out that it will take me 2 YEARS to lose the weight I want to. Wow, am I that committed? That's not very fun to think out. I lose weight very slowly, and now I'm fighting hormones too. I will take these steps one day at a time and celebrate small victories as they come. So much of it is a mind game, and I need to focus on what I'm doing right instead of beating myself up for failure. @77tes got to her goal weight, so I can too....Merry Christmas!

Hi Sheila,
    You CAN do this! A slower weight loss makes it so you lose less muscle AND your skin can adjust better. But most importantly you have time to slowly develop habits, practice them, and adopt them!!

It’s also Excellent Preparation for maintenance.

I lost 73.3lbs in 3 years. An average of 1/2lb per week (but it was uneven).
    I lost a total of 78.3 lbs in 3.3 years but decided that was too low to maintain.

My favorite quote:
    It’s a marathon not a sprint.

🐢 The turtles win in the long run.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,751 Member
    @SheilaCali, I started working on losing weight and getting fit in 2007. I have reached my goal (set it too low and unsustainable), and I maintained for a good long while, but then started edging back up. I really had to get out of dieting mode and thinking about healthy eating and activity.

Like @MadisonMolly2017 said - it is a marathon, and the turtles win. Or as my kids old piano teacher always said, "Slow is beautiful."

Denise @themedalist shared this on her Quitting the Sitting Facebook Page - It really made me reflect on how glad I am I started to change my ways 12 years ago.10zci0kpqk5h.jpg
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Tomorrow Begins with Today

Along the same lines @77tes
    I saw the above quote recently.

I find it SO helpful!!!!
  • MadisonMolly2017

Shooting for:
    157 Jan 1
    156 Feb 1
    155 Mar 1

Dec 3: 159.6❌❌⚠️
    Dec 4: 159.4 ❌❌⚠️
    This should continue to drop quickly now that routine is back & family have left.
    Dec 5: 158 ❌ progress
    Dec 6: 157 🧡
    Dec 7 157.2❌
    8 157.6❌
    9 157🧡
    10 157.2❌
    11 157.2❌
    Just too Much stress, but soon things will calm down.💕💕Good luck ALL!
    Not Giving Up!!! Ever!!!
    12 159❌❌
    13 157.5❌
    14 157🧡
    15 157.8 ❌
    Cat is MUCH BETTER!
    Colonoscopy is behind me.
    Lots of exercise & calories under target the past 4 days.
    16 157.8 ❌
    17 157.8 ❌
    18 159 ❌❌
    19 158.8 ❌❌ #NeverGiveUp
    20 157.6 ❌ YAY! Going for the orange heart🧡 #KeepingMyHeadintheGame
    21 158.4 ❌❌
    22 158.2 ❌❌ not giving up. Something has changed. I’m hungrier. I’m Much more tired/sleepy. Possibly caused by a dosage increase of one of my meds.

White knuckling my net carbs back down.
    Still walking up a storm!!

I know I will figure this out.

TY for your support. I hope you are doing ok & are able to enjoy some of the holiday season.

I noticed today:
    Since I began this Journey:
    In 2016, I lost 0.2lbs per week
    In 2017, I lost 0.6lbs per week
    In 2018, I lost 0.7lbs per week
    In 2019 (as of today) gained 3.2lbs over about 50 weeks = 0.064lbs pee week
    At this rate, it would take me 21 YEARS to gain my weight back.

I find Perspective helps me a lot

Dec 23 157
    Dec 24 157.6
    I got my head back in the game.
    An advisor- at the very right time - handed me the solution to my eating out issues. One I had read for decades & was unable/unwilling to do.

Have them box (or I box) half of what I order.
    I began today. I did not have the courage/preparation to ask them to do this.
    HOWEVER, I realized this IS the solution for me!!!!!
    At breakfast I ate all of no fat milk & yogurt. Half of peanut butter, granola, whole grain toast!!
    At lunch I ate all of broccoli & chicken (small portions) & 5/8-2/3 of potatoes and coffee cake.
    My calories are under for the day & I navigated two meals out with extended family.

But here’s the important part. I will never finish an entire restaurant meal again. It’s just a totally different mindset.
    I’m Modifying it to eat all veggies, nonfat dairy, and I know how much protein I can eat. The 1/2 rule will apply (for me) to starches, butter, sauces, desserts.

I’m excited because for the past 3-4 months I’ve been asking myself How can I make maintaining my weight loss easy? This was the final piece that needed to fall into place.

I’m shifting my goal for the rest of December & the month of January to this:
    >>>>When I eat away from home, I will eat no more than 1/2 of what I order with the exception of steamed vegetables, lean meats/fish, eggs, and nonfat dairy.
    >>>>What I need from you: positive encouragement
    >>>>>My reward: I will do my little emoticon thing here. I find them very encouraging.

In addition, for each restaurant meal where I box or have them box 1/2, I will get a point. When I have 15 points, I can purchase the supplies I need to do encaustic art.
    💕
    Maddie
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 You have made a decision and I have no doubt that you will keep your word to yourself. It just makes so much sense to have half of your mealed boxed immediately instead of having that mind battle over whether or not to finish your meal and then losing the fight.
    Any change starts with making a decision and a promise to yourself. I look forward to seeing some of your encaustic art projects (I'm going to have to look that one up!).
  • MadisonMolly2017
    nebslp wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 You have made a decision and I have no doubt that you will keep your word to yourself. It just makes so much sense to have half of your mealed boxed immediately instead of having that mind battle over whether or not to finish your meal and then losing the fight.
    Any change starts with making a decision and a promise to yourself. I look forward to seeing some of your encaustic art projects (I'm going to have to look that one up!).

@nebslp - you are an incredibly kind & supportive person who always helps me (and others) SO MUCH! Thank you! Thank you.

I’m actually in a high that I *might* be able to conquer my non-ideal eating out habits!

❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️
    Maddie

• MadisonMolly2017
    Hi Friends,
    I hope all of you are doing well. I know it can be a tough time of year.
    I’m grateful & value each & every one of you!

I’m looking forward to continuing our important habit changing work in 2020 with all of you💕

#NeverGiveUp

It is when we can share the not so good times in our weight loss/maintenance with others that the Light of Day shines on it, and the food will lose its power.

I’ve kept walking.
    My weight is still up a couple of pounds.
    My calories eaten is lower.
    I am not fretting. It doesn’t help. I’m focusing on healthy self care & using all the habits I’ve formed with the help of this group.

How are you doing?
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    @MadisonMolly2017 Thank you for your kind words💗. The wisdom you’ve gained through your own struggles, and your willingness to share it is so encouraging. I’m glad we can share the good and the not so good things that we are experiencing and know there’s no judgment here. Once again, your post has left me thinking. Now I’m wondering, why would I allow food to have power over me? Sure, candy tastes good, but so do sweet potatoes. I’m thinking there’s something in this about the power of choice. 🤔
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @nebslp thank you for your reply.

Yes, it’s interesting to tease out all the other things we have “attached” to certain foods.

One of the things I read was “comfort foods? Nope, just after I eat them, there’s no comfort - just omg why did I eat that?!”

Very helpful in our Re-wiring process!
  • MadisonMolly2017

Shooting for:
    157 Jan 1
    156 Feb 1
    155 Mar 1

This should continue to drop quickly now that routine is back & family have left.
    Dec 7 157.2❌
    8 157.6❌
    9 157🧡
    10 157.2❌
    11 157.2❌
    Not Giving Up!!! Ever!!!
    12 159❌❌
    13 157.5❌
    14 157🧡
    15 157.8 ❌
    Cat is MUCH BETTER!
    16 157.8 ❌
    17 157.8 ❌
    18 159 ❌❌
    19 158.8 ❌❌ #NeverGiveUp
    21 158.4 ❌❌
    22 158.2 ❌❌ not giving up. Something has changed. I’m hungrier. I’m Much more tired/sleepy. Possibly caused by a dosage increase of one of my meds.

TY for your support. I hope you are doing ok & are able to enjoy some of the holiday season.

I noticed today:

Dec 23 157
    Dec 24 157.6 ❤️
    An advisor- at the very right time - handed me the solution to my eating out issues. One I had read for decades & was unable/unwilling to do.

At breakfast I ate all of no fat milk & yogurt. Half of peanut butter, granola, whole grain toast!!
    At lunch I ate all of broccoli & chicken (small portions) & 5/8-2/3 of potatoes and coffee cake.
    My calories are under for the day & I navigated two meals out with extended family.

But here’s the important part. I will never finish an entire restaurant meal again. It’s just a totally different mindset.
    I’m Modifying it to eat all veggies, nonfat dairy, and I know how much protein I can eat. The 1/2 rule will apply (for me) to starches, butter, sauces, desserts.

I’m excited because for the past 3-4 months I’ve been asking myself How can I make maintaining my weight loss easy? This was the final piece that needed to fall into place.

>>>>When I eat away from home, I will eat no more than 1/2 of what I order with the exception of steamed vegetables, lean meats/fish, eggs, and nonfat dairy.
    >>>>>My reward: I will do my little emoticon thing here. I find them very encouraging.

In addition, for each restaurant meal where I box or have them box 1/2, I will get a point. When I have 15 points, I can purchase the supplies I need to do encaustic art.
    💕
    Maddie[/quote]

Dec 25 158.8. Took 1/2 servings 0.5 points
    Dec 26 158.2 0.5 point 1/2 sandwich & 1/2chips
    Dec 27 158.2 0.5 point 1/2 pasta 1:2 salmon (Brought home) 1/2 dessert
    0.5 1/2 almonds 1/2 biscotti

Points for Improved meals so far: 2
    Box Points prior to eating: 0

Slow & steady wins the race. 🐢
  • MadisonMolly2017

Shooting for:
    157 Jan 1
    156 Feb 1
    155 Mar 1

Dec 7 157.2❌
    8 157.6❌
    9 157🧡
    10 157.2❌
    11 157.2❌
    Not Giving Up!!! Ever!!!
    12 159❌❌
    13 157.5❌
    14 157🧡
    15 157.8 ❌
    Cat is MUCH BETTER!
    16 157.8 ❌
    17 157.8 ❌
    18 159 ❌❌
    19 158.8 ❌❌ #NeverGiveUp
    21 158.4 ❌❌

I noticed today:

Dec 23 157
    Dec 24 157.6 ❤️

💕
    Maddie

Dec 28 159.4
    Dec 29 158.6
    Sadly, as enthused as I was, eating out doesn’t seem to work out for me. 40 years of bad habits with restaurants...

It’s ok, I’m committed to my health.
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,984 Member
    I am appreciating reading these posts as I get back into the right mindset again. I am going through what I call 'transition' days as I step away from holiday/vacation behavior and gradually work my way back into regular healthy behavior. With both my sons, daughter in law and first grandchild here for the holidays, I really threw myself into being there for other people and did minimal for myself. I back to working on taking care of myself and looking forward to a new year.

Wishing everyone the best!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member

Shooting for:
    157 Jan 1
    156 Feb 1
    155 Mar 1

Dec 7 157.2❌
    8 157.6❌
    9 157🧡
    10 157.2❌
    11 157.2❌
    Not Giving Up!!! Ever!!!
    12 159❌❌
    13 157.5❌
    14 157🧡
    15 157.8 ❌
    Cat is MUCH BETTER!
    16 157.8 ❌
    17 157.8 ❌
    18 159 ❌❌
    19 158.8 ❌❌ #NeverGiveUp
    21 158.4 ❌❌

I noticed today:

Dec 23 157
    Dec 24 157.6 ❤️

💕
    Maddie

Dec 28 159.4
    Dec 29 158.6
    Sadly, as enthused as I was, eating out doesn’t seem to work out for me. 40 years of bad habits with restaurants...

It’s ok, I’m committed to my health.

Maddie, I think you are doing very well. It IS a tough time of year. I do the same thing you do with restaurant meals. I divide the meal in half and ask for a box early so that I’m not tempted to finish the whole thing. But even so, my weight is always up for several days after a restaurant meal because of the obscene amount of salt they use. Maybe that’s a factor here as well?
  • themedalist
    znaoiec wrote: »
    I am appreciating reading these posts as I get back into the right mindset again. I am going through what I call 'transition' days as I step away from holiday/vacation behavior and gradually work my way back into regular healthy behavior. With both my sons, daughter in law and first grandchild here for the holidays, I really threw myself into being there for other people and did minimal for myself. I back to working on taking care of myself and looking forward to a new year.

Wishing everyone the best!

“Transition days”...I like that, @znaoiec! I think a lot of us can relate to the challenge of holiday get togethers, different eating patterns, and a desire to get back to our normal routines.
  • themedalist
    Well, my December goal of 2 weekly HIIT sessions on Friday and Sundays has worked out very well aside from the blip early on when I was in Santa Fe and not near a treadmill. Haven’t missed a work out yet and I definitely feel better. I think I’m going to make it my January goal as well.

Happy New Year everyone! Let’s make 2020 our best year yet!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2019
    I bought myself a Christmas gift this year as it’s something I’ve wanted for several years now. I bought an under desk elliptical to use in my office. I do not have a standing desk nor do I want one. Instead, I make a point of getting up every 20 to 30 minutes and moving around a bit. But still, it’s a lot of sitting. I’ve been intrigued with these under desk ellipticals and finally took the plunge and bought one!

ktdzgjnkgzn4.jpeg

I excitedly moved it into my office at work and noticed a significant hurdle. With a plastic rug protector and an office chair on casters, when I peddle, my office chair drifts backwards — a lot! It isn’t useable unless I hang on to my desk. Which is not practical. Major disappointment. :(

But every obstacle has a solution, right? I realized that if I put a piece of carpet under the chair the casters would remain stationary and so would I! Here’s my new setup:

vtwsyc8q8iur.jpeg

Problem solved...I now stay put! I don’t expect to use it all day long but short bursts of 5 or 10 minutes throughput the day will really add up. So excited!

Happy New Year!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Hi everyone! Well, I seem to have missed the entire month of December on MFP. What a crazy busy couple of months November & December were! The good news is, I managed to maintain through all the holiday celebrations, baking, cooking, parties, etc. Bad news is, I didn't lose. I didn't weigh or make mindful choices. I didn't take care of myself.

There sure is a lot of great insightful information on here. I did read all the posts to catch up. I have to thank all of you for sharing your experience, knowledge and for keeping us moving forward! You all have been really important to me in 2019 and I'm really looking forward to continuing into 2020!
    SheilaCali wrote: »

@SheilaCali I listen to a podcast called "Half Size Me" and she talks often about people wanting to lose weight quickly and how daunting it is to think about it taking 1, 2 or even 5 years to get where they want to be, but the point she makes that hit home with me is "the time is going to pass anyway. so when you look back and think about where you'd be today if you'd been mindful about losing in a sustainable way (slowly) back when you went on your very first "diet", where would you be today?" (not exact words but you get the gist...) When I think about that, I started dieting back in 2012. It's now 2019. I lost and gained and lost and gained. If I had just lost even 1 lb per month, I'd have hit my goal in 2016 and be maintaining for 3 years now, and that time passed anyway.

I don't know if it makes sense the way I'm saying it, but it makes perfect sense when she says it! LOL!

P.S. I'm dealing with menopausal belly, so I get the whole difficulty with hormones! Makes it even harder!

Hugs everyone! I've missed you! So good to be back to a normal routine!

xoxo

Tracie
  • themedalist
    @PackerFanInGB, great hearing from you! Congrats on maintaining your weight through this very challenging month. That is a huge accomplishment!
  • themedalist
    edited December 2019
    @MadisonMolly2017, you shared a very thought provoking observation with us this year and months later it has stayed with me, something I’ve thought about often and see the relevance in my own life. You said that for you, one of the keys to losing weight and then maintaining your weight was to cultivate other interests and hobbies in your life, as a way to give food and eating less of a starring role. Brilliant! You’ve done that with your art and in tidying/decluttering your home. When we find joy in other places, food loses its grip on us. We can still enjoy food and eating, but it no longer has such a hold on us.

My art form and chief hobby is playing the guitar. I’ve gotten so much joy from learning and improving my abilities since I picked it up 5 years ago that food has definitely shrunk in importance. I know it’s been a key in maintaining my weight. Without question.

I expect we will have many new members join us in the new year. In addition to food logging, exercise and moving more, I would strongly recommend adopting a new hobby or rekindling a forgotten joy. When we nurture ourselves by developing our skills, talents, and other interests, food can become just food.