Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    LesIckaBod wrote: »
    Jan 4 - goals met (4 days out of 4!)

Tracked: Yes
    Calories: Yes
    Exercise: Yes - 30 min walk

Thinking about calories: MFP sets my calorie goal at 1275. Out of the last 7 days, I've been under that 4 times, way over once (hello new year's eve champagne!) and under 1360 for 2 days. My tracked TDEE for the week was 2180 (taking out a huge day 1 - day 2 water weight loss), but my 7-day average for calories was 1378, even including the new year's overage.

Moving forward with this challenge, I'm keeping my MFP calorie goal listed at 1275, but I'm counting myself as under calories if I'm under 1400. My spreadsheet is set up to track 2-week TDEE next week, and 3-week TDEE following that, and I'll adjust my personal calorie targets as needed based on the results.

Who else here is tracking their own TDEE? (Hat tip to @craigo3154 for introducing me to this back in 2018 in the Biggest Loser challenge)

Just a little expansion on this.

TDEE is Total Daily Energy Expenditure. Calculating this is slightly different to the normal MFP CICO and requires tracking history and weight.

TDEE takes you averaged calorie history and weight and works out what your base energy requirement is without exercise.

It works on the assumption that 1 pound equates to 3500 calories. You need to take an average over at least a week as weight fluctuates per day based on water retention.

As you are tracking calories and exercise and weight you can work out TDEE average without exercise through a simple formula.

TDEE gives you a closer estimate to a true metabolic burn rate (without additional tracked exercise) than the usual MFP calculation as is is based off YOUR history, not average tables.

The only way to get a TRUE burn rate is in a laboratory (CO2MAX) or using doubly labelled water. As both are not viable options for us in the real world, TDEE based of history of tracking, weight and exercise estimation is about the best we can do.

I used this method when losing weight at my fastest to ensure that I did not have any long term adverse affects on my metabolism. (I dropped 50 lbs in 6 months actually had my metabolism increase to the point I was eating MORE calories per day in maintenance at 140 lbs than I was when I started at 190 lbs. This was dropping, on average, 5% of my bodyweight per month for 6 consecutive months).

For this to work you MUST be obsessive about portion sizes, weighing and measuring food. The better the accuracy of the numbers going in, the better the accuracy of the TDEE measurement as the end result.
  • Ketomilly1
    Ketomilly1 Posts: 52 Member
    Exercise? 40 min light circuit
    Track? Yes
    Calories? Under
    Finished 66 hour fast and ate in afternoon.
    Have a great Sunday!
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,280 Member
    January 4

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Felling a lot better, lots of chopping and cooking for my weekly food prep
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? No
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? No
  • WMEJA
    WMEJA Posts: 652 Member
    Daily Post date: Saturday 1/4

Exercise: Yes I worked out in my home gym. Stationary bike 20 minutes, elliptical 5 minutes, bike 5 minutes punching bag 10 minutes Kickboxing 10 minutes total 50 minutes
    Calories: Yes
    Tracked: Yes
    My goal for today was to push myself to workout longer and to work on my diet which is a big problem. I tend to get snacky so I needed to keep track of what I ate.
  • snowshoe072
    snowshoe072 Posts: 4,518 Member
    edited January 2020
    Logged tracked went to gym rowing machine and treadmill well over my 20 minutes.

I will weigh out some foods and others are usually a accurate estimation as I have weighed and measured for along time now it’s not prefect but neither and I and it works for me
  • gore_melinda
    gore_melinda Posts: 32 Member
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes - went with the Wii plus fit today fun with the kids
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes with calories and now someone is telling me i'm supposed to stay below 20 carbs so its a good thing i didn't track those with having homemade bean and ham bone soup.
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? drinking the last cups as i'm writing this.
  • JessBelle31
    JessBelle31 Posts: 16 Member
    Exercise? Yes, 30 minutes on the elliptical
    Under budget? Yes
    Tracked everything? Yes
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Exercised? Yeppers! 20 min yoga* (23 if you count savasana). Had a headache most of the day, so didn't walk. Just 5k steps.
    *We subscribed to the Down Dog app a couple days ago when they offered a $20/year deal. Now that I spent money on it, I am much more likely to do yoga twice a week.

Within my calorie goal? Ja.

Tracked everything? Of course!

I try to balance weighing food accurately without going down an OCD rabbit hole (a risk for me).

I don't weigh items that are labeled and portioned (slice of bread, single serving frozen meal, individually wrapped candy, etc). I have checked a few after reading comments on the forum about inaccuracies, but I have found my products to be super close to stated weights.

I weigh just about everything else in grams, including when making a recipe. Although, I'm a little casual about low cal veggies when I am hurrying.

However, if I do a recipe that has 3 servings, I just eyeball when I dish up. My thinking is that even if I weighed out the final product, each serving will still vary because one might have more potatoes or more sauce or more beans and so on. I figure it all balances out even over time.

When we eat out (usually once a week), I go with the restaurant's nutrition info or calculator, or I do my best estimate if no calories are available. I generally get food cooked simply due to GERD, so it's not too hard to estimate.