Starting Whole30 January 2nd

Options
Hi Everyone,
I’m 54 years old and recently lost about 20 pounds with 80 Day Obsession and Morning Meltdown 100! I’ve got the exercise part of my life down pat but REALLY need to dial in on nutrition! I’m going to try Whole30 in the hopes of getting some control over my eating habits. I’m a stress eater and reach for chocolate and chips later in the evening. Completing the Whole30 will give me the opportunity to break those bad habits and see how my body feels without junk in it

Replies

• margbarco
    margbarco Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I’d like to join you on the whole 30 challenge because I also find myself reaching for sugary snacks or chocolate late in the evening out of habit or boredom when I’m not humgry. I lost 19 pounds last year and have maintained relatively effortlessly until recently when I’ve overindulged in sugary snacks and treats - gained 5-7 pounds back pretty quickly. I already know I will go back to eating plain low-fat yogurt and plain oatmeal after the 30 days, but I want to see what foods (if any) cause issues for me.
  • hazelsue381
    hazelsue381 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would like to join was well. I completed a whole30 in 2018... it was very hard for me and I did not take the time to reintroduce... so I should try again and see if I can do this in a "Happier Way" :)
  • margbarco
    Options
    I actually started already on Dec 28. Once I made the decision to do it, I was afraid I might lose my determination if I waited. It’s only been two days so I’m still feeling great, and my sugar cravings for cookies and cake-ey desserts has all but disappeared. This is pretty close to to the way I was eating when I lost the 19 pounds, and I know that an increase in sugary desserts is what led to my recent gain of several pounds.
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    January 4, 2020 6:34PM in Social Groups
    This is my second round. Did my first last January. I completed it without much trouble and saw many benefits. Continued sort of 80-20 for a while and started falling off the rails the last few months. I’m on R2D3 and could definitely use some friends for support and to support. Feel free to add me!!!
  • hazelsue381
    hazelsue381 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Regrets.... I will not be able to jump in on this challenge after all. Good Luck my to all of you.
  • margbarco
    Options
    Regrets.... I will not be able to jump in on this challenge after all. Good Luck my to all of you.

That’s too bad, this group is so small... wishing you success in your health goals, whatever they may be! :smile:
  • margbarco
    Options
    Today is Day 11 for me and I’m feeling good. I’m sleeping more soundly than usual lately, not sure if that has anything to do with Whole30, more likely the increased exercise.

The book says most people quit on day 10 or 11 so I’m determined to make today a really good eating day and try a new recipe or two.
  • presley0000
    presley0000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, Good luck to all. This is my first time on Whole30. I love sweets! I am on day 6 and I feel great. I made the Chocolate Date Pecan energy balls and they were fantastic.
  • mrsk88
    mrsk88 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Hi, guys! This is my first Whole30 round. I am only on day 2! Had a struggle the first week. I am in the right mind frame and ready to feel the difference after the 30 days.
    Its nice to be in they group!! Its definitely motivating
  • soccermom004
    soccermom004 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Im at the end of day 8. Normally would have a glass of wine Friday night. Going to bed early instead.
  • presley0000
    Options
    Day 9, was a little tired yesterday, however, today feeling great!
  • presley0000
    Options
    This morning’s breakfast.
  • margbarco
    Options
    This morning’s breakfast.

Looks yummy! Love that plate, too.
  • margbarco
    Options
    Ok, I’ve got a bit of a dilemma: I was driving home with my daughter yesterday, I had a bit of a stomach ache and I was sort of light headed. When I got home I had one of my favorite “healthy” comfort foods: plain (unsweetened) low-fat yogurt with fruit, nuts, and flaxseeds. So good! I felt sooooo much better!

Now, do I start over from day 1?

I know I’m supposed to. But I think I may want to continue having my plain yogurt every other day for breakfast - it’s a staple food I incorporated during the DASH diet. And I would keep the rest of my diet Whole30 compliant - which of course is not Whole30 anymore!

I beat my sugar cravings during the past 14 days, and that was my main goal. I knew from the beginning I would add back the yogurt because it’s such an integral part of the way I keep my blood pressure in check.

Going to think about this some more...
  • margbarco
    Options
    How is everybody doing?
    Is anybody still following the plan?

Me, I stopped at day 14 when I ate yogurt. It opened up the floodgates to sugar like I knew it would, and I found myself eating sweets again.

It’s really too bad that I have an all-or-nothing mentality. For 14 days I looked past the chocolate squares in the pantry and the ice cream in the freezer. No temptation or craving whatsoever! But the minute I ate my plain yogurt and fruit the urge was uncontrollable :(

I am staring over today. Well, today is day zero as I’ve got some food shopping to do and already had a Starbucks cold foam coffee (dairy).

I’d love to hear how your journey is going, if you stopped I’d love to know what made you decide to stop, and do you plan to start again?