Allulose?

Options
amckholmes
amckholmes Posts: 119 Member
Does anyone have experience using this sweetener?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Hadn't heard of it til I Googled. Occurs naturally in figs, raisins, and jackfruit, but is commercially produced as a food additive from an enzymatic conversion of cheap corn (likely GMO - if that matters to you - almost all corn in US is GMO)
    I haven't noticed it here in Canada, bit it is GRAS (generally recognized as safe) by the FDA. It doesn't seem to be a good idea if you have any GI issues like IBS, Crohn's, Colitis as it has caused pain and other 'problems' for some.
    Companies are lobbying to get it taken off the sugar list because it 'looks bad' on their 'healthy' Nutrition Facts labels.
    Have you tried it yet?
  • amckholmes
    Options
    Have read about it and understand where it comes from, have not seen it here in Canada, but am hoping to get some feedback from someone who has used it.
  • lucy662017
    lucy662017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    There is a new keto bar out called Heka Bars. They use allulose as the sweetener. It is a full size bar for 2 net carbs. I am a diabetic and it had no effect on my blood sugar!! It also caused no GI distress. It was a win win for me.
  • amckholmes
    Options
    Thank you @lucy662017 for your response. Their website says they are not available in retailer stores - did you order a full box of one flavor?
  • lucy662017
    lucy662017 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @amckholmes I got a box of the cookie dough and peanut butter. Loved them both! Since then they have blueberry, maple and white chocolate Macadamia. You can order single bars now so I plan to buy single bars of the new flavors before committing to a box. They are pricey since my husband and I both have one almost daily but they have saved me from going down the wrong path a few times 😂