This January I Will....

Options
themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
edited December 2019 in Social Groups
6626rw615xjr.jpg

And just like that... it's a new day, a new month, a new year, and now a brand new DECADE!

Happy New Year! May 2020 be filled with health and happiness for you and your family. Just imagine what we can all accomplish this year! I'm certain we will be celebrating a lot of healthy new habits this year. Why am I so sure? Because any goal takes more than just desire: it takes a realistic plan with small, specific, do-able actions steps, and the commitment to see the plan through, even when it's difficult. Plus it takes support and a cheering squad. Plan + Action Steps + Cheering Squad = THIS GROUP!

If you are joining us for the first time, a very hearty welcome! We are glad you are here. Let us know what your goal is for this month and how we can help. And just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

And if you're joining us midway through the month, no need to wait until February. Begin now and you'll be that much closer to achieving your goal. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges may come in handy.

Let's hear what you'll be prioritizing this month!

Try to frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This January I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of January?

Let's do this! Let's make 2020 a terrific year!

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    I'm still pondering what I want to work on this month. Will post soon!
  • Pencil_Hearts
    Pencil_Hearts Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    1. This January I will walk 10,000 steps more than 3 days a week.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal take my dog for a walk daily, take walks during my lunch break, and keep track of my steps with my Fitbit.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit hanging the dog leash next to the back door, putting reminders on my phone, and having reminders on my Fitbit.
    4. How often will you do your new habit? Preferably daily, at the very least every other day.
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Taking a nice, long, warm shower and snuggling with my fuzzy blanket while watching a favorite movie or TV show.
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement and accountability.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? It looks like losing 5lbs. by January 31, 2020 between healthy eating and walking 10,000 steps almost daily I should be able to get to that goal!
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,334 Member
    Options
    Happy 2020 everyone! I'm starting fresh since I got derailed so many weeks/months the last half of last year. So, I will be working on logging every bite I eat in January. This is something I have to do in order to move forward in this journey for health and until I get this down as a daily habit, I feel I won't succeed. So.....

1. My goal for this month is to journal every bite I eat...the good, bad & ugly!
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will log my meal or snack before consuming if possible. If I don't have time, I will take a picture of it so I don't forget about it later.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Food. Food = Food journal
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I will Complete my Food Diary on MFP and smile when I see "how much I will weigh in 5 weeks". I will also put a smiley sticker on the date in my bullet fitness journal.
    6. What help do you need from us? your encouragement and advise when I'm struggling is always so welcome!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of January? Ideally, I will have a good handle on my triggers and go-to foods. Also, successfully completing this goal in January will allow me to pick a different one in February! An NSV I hope to reach in January is to be able to fit into my wedding ring again. It's been 8 years since I've been able to wear it.

@themedalist I love your intro...especially describing this group! We got this. I'm so excited for another year of goals with you all! xoxo <3
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @HEGoddard0928 Good job on meeting your water goal on day 1🙂 Keep letting us know how it’s going. I need to drink more water and less coffee! But maybe another month🤔
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,648 Member
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB I stole your idea from a previous month about taking a food pic when I can’t write it down immediately, so thanks for the tip! And I haven’t been able to wear my wedding ring since I was pregnant back in 1978! I think it’s a size 6. It does fit my pinky finger now though🤪
  • bweasels
    bweasels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    This January I will log what I eat each day.
  • HEGoddard0928
    HEGoddard0928 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    @nebslp Thank you! I met my goal yesterday too! I actually did double it that day! Lol. I'm having a bit of trouble with the water today but I know that I can get this done!
  • HEGoddard0928
    Options
    @PackerFanInGB Good choice for this month! I haven't been able to wear my wedding ring for about 4 years. We got married 5 years ago. I was dumb and got a super small size. And then Matt lost his so we ended up getting silicone rings that actually fit and when we both lose weight it only cost about $4 to get a 4 pack of the next size down. Lol
  • bweasels
    bweasels Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I met my goal today of recording everything I ate. Bonus - met calorie goal, walked, and drank my water.
  • hallene
    hallene Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year to everyone.
    2020 Goals: I plan to establish sustained healthy habits .
    * Exercise 6 days per week, Sunday is my rest day.
    * Average 10,000 daily steps each week.
    * Daily log my meals and review the nutrition summary. I signed up for the Premium option.
    * Most importantly be kind to myself and be more mindful of what I say and do.
  • HEGoddard0928
    Options
    Met my water goal yesterday and am almost there today! Woohoo!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,972 Member
    Options
    This January, I will have a staged approach to my goals.

Stage 1: Goal 1: CALORIES
    Reason: I need to get used to a lower calorie target per day, I think.

I will focus on keeping my calories under 2,000 for 7 days. I did this Jan 2 & 3, so 5 more to go.

1 🥦 3 sweets, 2 hi protein bars
    2 😍. 🍓 2 sweets, 1 hi protein bar
    3 😍. 🥗 1 sweet, 1 hi protein bar

Stage 2: Goal 2: Vegetables/Salads/Berries
    Reason: Better health, nutrients, more satisfying meals, fiber...

Eat a minimum of five 3-oz servings of veg/fruit per day. I’ve actually done that each day, so I guess I’ll begin recording this now, but my FOCUS is my calorie goal.

Stage 3: GOAL 3: Decrease Sweets over Time to 1 a day, pre-planned.
    Reason: They creep up in number over time. Look at Jan 1 above!!

Eat no more than one sweet item per day. (82% dark chocolate does not count)
    I haven’t tried this approach before, but I think it will work.

I’m just recording these now...as veggies/salads will be my goal after calorie goal has been met.