This January I Will....

Options

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,000 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options

This January, I will have a staged approach to my goals.

DONE Stage 1: Goal 1: CALORIES 😍
    Reason: I need to get used to a lower calorie target per day, I think.

I will focus on keeping my calories under 2,000 for 7 days in a row...

1 ❌ 🥦 3 sweets 2 hi pro bars 2111m
    2 😍. 🍓 2 sweets, 1 bar. 1599mg
    3 😍. 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 1,899mg
    4 😍. 🥦. 1 sweet, 2 hi protein 2152mg
    5 😍 🥕. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 2155 mg
    6 😍 🥗. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 🧂💕1228
    7 ❌ 🥕. 1 sweet 2,317mg
    8 😍 🥗. 1 large sweet 🧂💕954
    9 😍 🥕. 1 sweet. 🧂💕703
    10 😍 🍎. 1 sweet. 1,657mg
    11 😍 2. 1 hi pro bar.👍 🧂💕1,091
    12. 😍 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 🧂💕1,174
    Finally!!!
    Blood pressure dropped to Normal 102/75 pulse 70.
    SO relieved.
    I looked back over the past couple of years to see what I ate prior to an occasional, elevated bp reading. Sure enough, it was a restaurant meal.
    I’m highly motivated to eat at home now. “This is no joke!”

Two more days with calories & salt under control (and veg/fruit too.) & I’ll figure out the sweets.
    **Adding icons for each fruit/veggie svg**
    13 😍🍎🍎🥕Berries🍊🍊6.6 svg
    ZERO SWEETS !!! 🧂💕1,095

14 🥰 🍎🍎🥕🥬🌶🍊🍊 6.6 svg
    1 sweet 🧂💕1,398 [Switched to protein pacing]

15 🥰1905 🍎27oz (9-10svgs)
    1 small sweet, 1 hi pro bar, 🧂💕1,394

16 🥰 1999 🥬11 servings!! ❤️🎉
    1 small sweet, 1 hi pro bar, 🧂💕1,396

DONE Stage 2: Goal 2: Vegetables/Salads/Berries
    Reason: Better health, nutrients, more satisfying meals, fiber... 🥗🥦 🥕 🍓🥒🍅

Eat a minimum of five 3-oz servings of veg/fruit per day. I’ve actually done that each day, so I guess I’ll begin recording this now, but my FOCUS is my calorie goal.

DONE Stage 3: GOAL 3: Decrease Sweets over Time to 1 a day, pre-planned.
    Reason: They creep up in number over time. Look at Jan 1 above!!

Eat no more than one sweet item per day. (82% dark chocolate does not count)
    I haven’t tried this approach before, but I think it will work.

I’m just recording these now...as veggies/salads will be my goal after calorie goal has been met.

DONE: Reduce salt 🧂 under 1,500

17 🥰 1,830 🥕 9 servings
    1 hi pro bar. 🧂💕827mg
    110/73 p58
    ♥️

All 4 goals solidly in place now. BP normal. Scale decreasing gradually. Energy level very good.

In the future...
    1. I will not go into free for all mode. It was an experiment. Doesn’t work for my blood pressure. End of story.

2. I will remember that unlike many on here, I am not able to snap back to healthy/calorie deficit eating immediately. It took me about two weeks or more & a health scare (bp) to get serious. We must know ourselves!

I’m clearly a turtle 🐢❣️
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    @walk4today I totally get that! The Jr Mint bump didn’t send you over the cliff so it’s all good! Good progress with the sugar reduction and a nice payoff, too!

@MadisonMolly2017 It looks like tracking is going well for you. Every. Single. Day!

I’m doing very well with logging every day and keeping a bit of a difference between calories logged and calories burned. I’m not obsessing about it and it’s getting easier. I did miss one day, but it was a choice I made and I don’t think I was over my burn that day. The only day I know I was over was the Christmas candy fiasco🤪
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    nebslp wrote: »
    @walk4today I totally get that! The Jr Mint bump didn’t send you over the cliff so it’s all good! Good progress with the sugar reduction and a nice payoff, too!

@MadisonMolly2017 It looks like tracking is going well for you. Every. Single. Day!

I’m doing very well with logging every day and keeping a bit of a difference between calories logged and calories burned. I’m not obsessing about it and it’s getting easier. I did miss one day, but it was a choice I made and I don’t think I was over my burn that day. The only day I know I was over was the Christmas candy fiasco🤪

@nebslp Way to go!! I love your attitude! Keeping a difference between calories logged under calories burned, whatever the size, gets us closer to our goal!

This is SUCH an everchanging journey❣️
  • leanna_aroha
    leanna_aroha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    walk4today wrote: »
    I am making progress cutting back on sugar. Thought I could just stop using it cold turkey, but I don't think that's realistic for me right now. I am gradually reducing how much I put on cereal and avoiding sugary snacks.

Hi @walk4today , I have a sweet tooth myself. I have found in the past that a hot/cold cacao drink and making sure I have enough of the B vitamins really helps me with my sweet cravings :smile: Awesome work reducing the sugar, I know how hard it can be.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    SheilaCali wrote: »
    Hello all and Happy pre-Monday! I know that Sunday nights can be a downer for most, but let's be intentional about those Move-It Mondays. It's not just about moving our bodies, but our mindsets in a forward direction. I'm going to be more grateful this week, for what my body can do. Focusing on the positive can be just as hard mentally for me as trying to run a marathon physically. "Motivation is often the result of action, not the cause of it." Small steps cause momentum to build, so I'm on a roll. I met my goals the past week, although I'm sore. I feel empowered to keep it going, and I lost a pound a well. Good luck everyone and have a great week ahead!

@SheilaCali, I know you posted this last week, but it’s a perfect rallying call for this week as well. Happy Smonday everyone and let’s make it a great week!

xqti1o45bjm9.jpeg
  • themedalist
    Options
    I met all of my goals for the first week (joined the monthly challenge a bit late)! Wahoo! Now to refocus on the upcoming week and not celebrate too long.

Way to go, @leanna_aroha! And I like your celebrate, but re-focus for the upcoming week as well. Great attitude!
  • themedalist
    Options
    Thank you @nebslp !

Yes indeed. Normal bp at night...
    AM still *slightly high”

I appreciate your response!!!

Woohoo, @MadisonMolly2017, this is great to hear. One of the many things I learned from my dad’s stroke last summer is that high blood pressure is a huge risk factor for strokes. It’s critical to keep these numbers in the healthy range.
  • themedalist
    Options
    I thought I was doing well kicking sugar until temptation presented itself in the form of a box of Junior Mints my daughter gave me because she didn't want them. It was just before I started making dinner and I succombed and ate the whole box! Just because it was there. Didn't feel so good afterwards and realized I don't like them that much either. except for the chocolate. Still, in spite of this, I have done better this week cutting back on sugar and lost almost 2 pounds anyway. So I will treat the Junior Mint indulgence as just a bump in the road.

@walk4today, sugar is a toughie. It’s delicious and addicting. I know I need to stay away from simple sweets in order to maintain my weight loss. I can have it on occasion without the cravings returning, but every day would be the express train to derailing all the progress I’ve made in the last 8 years. I won’t let that happen.

I think the fact that you didn’t feel good afterwards and didn’t enjoy them either is key. You may find it much easier to forgo the temptation next time. You are doing great and you have a wonderful attitude!
  • themedalist
    Options
    It’s been a pretty good week of refocusing on my goal for this month, to have a mindful meal a day. I’ve been more successful shrinking it to just pausing a few minutes while I eat breakfast.

Still, I’m feeling distracted and that’s OK. One of my goals this year is to extend my love of playing the guitar and music and start recording some pieces in GarageBand. I took a short online class through Udemy ($19!) over the holiday break and now I can navigate through the software. I’ve now recorded a couple of songs and my mind is racing with possibilities of other projects this year! Maybe I should’ve made GarageBand my focus for this month. :)

• MadisonMolly2017
    Options

This January, I will have a staged approach to my goals.

DONE Stage 1: Goal 1: CALORIES 😍
    Reason: I need to get used to a lower calorie target per day, I think.

I will focus on keeping my calories under 2,000 for 7 days in a row...

1 ❌ 🥦 3 sweets 2 hi pro bars 2111m
    2 😍. 🍓 2 sweets, 1 bar. 1599mg
    3 😍. 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 1,899mg
    4 😍. 🥦. 1 sweet, 2 hi protein 2152mg
    5 😍 🥕. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 2155 mg
    6 😍 🥗. 1 sweet, 1 bar. 🧂💕1228
    7 ❌ 🥕. 1 sweet 2,317mg
    8 😍 🥗. 1 large sweet 🧂💕954
    9 😍 🥕. 1 sweet. 🧂💕703
    10 😍 🍎. 1 sweet. 1,657mg
    11 😍 2. 1 hi pro bar.👍 🧂💕1,091
    12. 😍 🥗 1 sweet, 1 bar 🧂💕1,174
    Finally!!!
    Blood pressure dropped to Normal 102/75 pulse 70.
    SO relieved.
    I looked back over the past couple of years to see what I ate prior to an occasional, elevated bp reading. Sure enough, it was a restaurant meal.
    I’m highly motivated to eat at home now. “This is no joke!”

Two more days with calories & salt under control (and veg/fruit too.) & I’ll figure out the sweets.
    **Adding icons for each fruit/veggie svg**
    13 😍🍎🍎🥕Berries🍊🍊6.6 svg
    ZERO SWEETS !!! 🧂💕1,095

14 🥰 🍎🍎🥕🥬🌶🍊🍊 6.6 svg
    1 sweet 🧂💕1,398 [Switched to protein pacing]

15 🥰1905 🍎27oz (9-10svgs)
    1 small sweet, 1 hi pro bar, 🧂💕1,394

16 🥰 1999 🥬11 servings!! ❤️🎉
    1 small sweet, 1 hi pro bar, 🧂💕1,396

DONE Stage 2: Goal 2: Vegetables/Salads/Berries
    Reason: Better health, nutrients, more satisfying meals, fiber... 🥗🥦 🥕 🍓🥒🍅

Eat a minimum of five 3-oz servings of veg/fruit per day. I’ve actually done that each day, so I guess I’ll begin recording this now, but my FOCUS is my calorie goal.

DONE Stage 3: GOAL 3: Decrease Sweets over Time to 1 a day, pre-planned.
    Reason: They creep up in number over time. Look at Jan 1 above!!

Eat no more than one sweet item per day. (82% dark chocolate does not count)
    I haven’t tried this approach before, but I think it will work.

I’m just recording these now...as veggies/salads will be my goal after calorie goal has been met.

DONE: Reduce salt 🧂 under 1,500

17 🥰 1,830 🥕 9 servings
    1 hi pro bar. 🧂💕827mg
    110/73 p58
    ♥️

All 4 goals solidly in place now. BP normal. Scale decreasing gradually. Energy level very good.

In the future...
    1. I will not go into free for all mode. It was an experiment. Doesn’t work for my blood pressure. End of story.

2. I will remember that unlike many on here, I am not able to snap back to healthy/calorie deficit eating immediately. It took me about two weeks or more & a health scare (bp) to get serious. We must know ourselves!

I’m clearly a turtle 🐢❣️

18 🥰 1,999 9 svg 🍊
    1 hi protein bar, 1 protein bar. 🧂💕1.224
    Home-cooked a really nice dinner
    Found and loved an easy, delicious, and healthy whitefish recipe❣️

#OneRecipeataTime
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    It’s been a pretty good week of refocusing on my goal for this month, to have a mindful meal a day. I’ve been more successful shrinking it to just pausing a few minutes while I eat breakfast.

Still, I’m feeling distracted and that’s OK. One of my goals this year is to extend my love of playing the guitar and music and start recording some pieces in GarageBand. I took a short online class through Udemy ($19!) over the holiday break and now I can navigate through the software. I’ve now recorded a couple of songs and my mind is racing with possibilities of other projects this year! Maybe I should’ve made GarageBand my focus for this month. :)

@themedalist

It’s been so much fun seeing you develop your passion for music! Your delight shines through❣️
  • leanna_aroha
    leanna_aroha Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    So far this January I have....
    1. walked for 20-30min at least 3 times a week
    2. completed 3 squat, situp and pushup challenges per week
    3. logged my food daily and stuck to 99% oms foods and within 200 of calorie for the day
    4. weighed in weekly and lost 1.8kg per week average (total 3.6kg

How I have rewarded myself so far:
    1. checked off each item as I go (love my little checklist)

What will I do if I don't meet one of my goals?
    1. I have met all my goals so far :)

Week 2 completed, heading into week 3. A little review. This last week was tough. I have been dogsitting and did a bit more dog walking than I am used to, got a blister yesterday and got a little bit too much sun. The chance to refocus every week is so essential for me, to look at why I wasn't feeling so great instead of giving up helps a lot. I will still be walking the dog, I'll just go when it's cooler (early early morning or later in the evening), I'll put a bandaid on my heels and off I go. Focussing on solutions :smile: I'm halfway there, 2 more weeks of January.... then next month, where I may add in other goals like zero chemical cleaning or computer programming :D
  • SheilaCali
    SheilaCali Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing well kicking sugar until temptation presented itself in the form of a box of Junior Mints my daughter gave me because she didn't want them. It was just before I started making dinner and I succombed and ate the whole box! Just because it was there. Didn't feel so good afterwards and realized I don't like them that much either. except for the chocolate. Still, in spite of this, I have done better this week cutting back on sugar and lost almost 2 pounds anyway. So I will treat the Junior Mint indulgence as just a bump in the road.

A bump is better than a train wreck! Perhaps you should buy some "fun box" sized treats, like the Halloween minis. The problem is still whether you have enough self-control to keep it to ONE box, not the whole bag. I can usually limit myself to one, but the hubby isn't intimidated by wrappers and will often consume the rest in a day or 2. Sometimes fruit isn't sweet enough, but I'm training myself to eat less sugar bombs. The last brownie I ate was small but sooo satisfying. The snickers pie was easy to limit to 2 bites- too sweet! My taste buds actually rejected it. Hmm. I never thought that would happen!
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    One of my January goals was to be injury-free. Well, this has been a bad week for my back. It has gone into spasms 4 or 5 times, and in different places. I've been busy painting and staining, and cleaning all the mess in the kitchen from the renovation. I'm sore from the stretching, reaching, and bending. Today I'm starting to move my pantry items into their new space (after a month). My back had already told me she doesn't want to come to the party, but she has no choice. Some ibuprofen, frequent breaks, and a hot shower later will are on the menu. I'm looking on the bright side, as my workout space in the living room will emerge after being out of commission from boxes. There's often a silver lining if you look for it! :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    So far this January I have....
    1. walked for 20-30min at least 3 times a week
    2. completed 3 squat, situp and pushup challenges per week
    3. logged my food daily and stuck to 99% oms foods and within 200 of calorie for the day
    4. weighed in weekly and lost 1.8kg per week average (total 3.6kg

How I have rewarded myself so far:
    1. checked off each item as I go (love my little checklist)

What will I do if I don't meet one of my goals?
    1. I have met all my goals so far :)

Week 2 completed, heading into week 3. A little review. This last week was tough. I have been dogsitting and did a bit more dog walking than I am used to, got a blister yesterday and got a little bit too much sun. The chance to refocus every week is so essential for me, to look at why I wasn't feeling so great instead of giving up helps a lot. I will still be walking the dog, I'll just go when it's cooler (early early morning or later in the evening), I'll put a bandaid on my heels and off I go. Focussing on solutions :smile: I'm halfway there, 2 more weeks of January.... then next month, where I may add in other goals like zero chemical cleaning or computer programming :D

@leanna_aroha Congratulations!! Way to go!
    I love your reflections and approach!

Small habit changes Work!!
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    There have been a lot of posts since I have last checked in. I continue to be inspired reading everyone's posts.

@77tes I just reserved the Genius Foods books from my library on CD. I look forward to listening to it on my commute back and forth to work.

And I enjoyed this quote… “ A bump is better than a train wreck!” :)

I am continuing to focus on my goals of healthy foods, extra exercise and being tidy. I strive towards these goals though I don't always make it. My husband has been out of town for most of January and will not be returning until beginning of February. We normally share in the care of my elderly mother so it just me right now. I feel pretty stretched these days trying to do it all but aim for doing my best. While I am not always 100% successful, focusing on changing my habits for this month has been helpful in keeping me moving in a forward direction.

Hello to all!
  • nebslp
    Options
    @SheilaCali I hope you are feeling better by now. It must feel good to be nearing the end of the renovation. Maybe you’ll get a rest soon from all that sprucing up you’ve been doing🤞

@znaoiec All we can do is aim for our best like you said. I hope things go well for you while your husband is away.

I’ve done well with logging for the past 3 weeks. My goal has been to lose 1 lb a week. I’m in another group and my weigh in day is Monday. After 3 weeks I’m down 2.8 so if I kick it up a notch this week I should be able to make my goal of 4 pounds this month. This has been so easy and painless. I’m very 😲 surprised. Very happily surprised!! Here’s to another new week 👍
  • nebslp
    Options
    I am participating in a 30 day free offer with a well known fitness expert and she talked about the establishment of new habits. Like @the medalist, she said there are 3 parts, the trigger, the action (habit), and the reward. Finding the right reward will make all the difference in the world, according to Mel. She said after awhile, your brain will go from "I should work out" to "I can't wait to get my (whatever you name as your reward". That's been a missing piece for me.
    Mel used having a breakfast taco as her reward so when she gets up in the morning, her first thought is on that taco, not that she has to go to the gym to workout. She said science backs that idea of the importance rewards play in establishing habits. I'm still thinking about what I absolutely love to do or eat or read that would be the perfect reward....hmmm, I'm thinking. I have an idea. I'll share later if it works or not!
  • SheilaCali
    Options
    Thanks @nebslp! I'm almost done with the kitchen reno. Unfortunately, I can't fit in all of my previous pantry items. I'm not piling things on top of each other, so it looks nicer. I vote putting the other things into a few bins until we eat some pantry items out. Wow, so many condiments! If I binned those, I'd have room for my coffee. I may have to do some shifting, but a little touch-up paint and I'm done.

The china cabinet got displaced into the living room, so I have to box up the contents (third time) so we can move it to its final resting place and reload it yet again. Of course I need to keep cleaning the dust that's settled on everything. My goodness. At least my back didn't spasm today, which is a win. Have a great week, buddies!
  • znaoiec
    znaoiec Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    @nebsip This is interesting about the reward. I will have to give this thought.