I just started therapy for emotional eating

tiffnkailey
tiffnkailey Posts: 150 Member
Was curious if anyone was in therapy for emotional eating? What kind of things did your therapist do with you? My biggest problem is night time snacking.

Replies

• ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Hello. Yes, I have been to a therapist for emotional eating. The "eating" part is really part of the emotional part. Recently, I have worked with a "light worker," that was really amazing. Emotional eating remains a problem.
  • healingnurtrer
    healingnurtrer Posts: 217 Member
    I started seeing a therapist for postpartum last year. I asked her for help with emotional eating and she said- just practice compassion for yourself- have compassion when you want to overeat and don't, have compassion when you do. So basically she wouldn't really help with the issue? Maybe she thought I wasn't in a place to work on it. I have tried to practice her advice though and have felt more peaceful. She recommended the book- The Mindful Path to Self-Compassion by Germer. I'm curious what your therapists recommend for this.
  • Yesenia882018
    Yesenia882018 Posts: 10 Member
    Those it work? I tend to eat my cravings and more or just simply not eat and then just eat a lot.
  • ladyzherra
    ladyzherra Posts: 438 Member
    Whether or not it works does not at all depend on your therapist, in my experience, though the right therapist is absolutely a plus. The success of therapy depends almost entirely on you.
  • I have been seeing my current therapist for a couple of weeks focusing on my emotional eating. What we have been working on is writing out my emotions in a journal as well as the food that I am eating. For example, if I want to eat something I need to ask myself why I want to eat, what emotion am I feeling, and what food am I want. I then eat what it is that I was wanting and further reflect after. How did that food make me feel afterward, has my emotion changed or is it the same. A lot of my issues are strong emotions like depression, anxiety, and stress, so I see that when I have a strong emotion, I then eat, and then my emotions become stronger based on the food item I have eaten. I have found that most of the time my emotions change more positively after I eat more nutrient rich food. I have been really focusing on finding foods that are low calorie but high nutrients to reach for when I am hungry. This so far has resulted in less processed foods, more stable emotions, and staying within my macros for the day. Which in turn has resulted in more energy and being more active. I currently am not weighing until once a month, so I'll keep you updated if it works as far as the scale, but I am just taking it one day at a time.