Living the Lifestyle MONDAY 6 Jan 2020

Options
Jimb376mfp
Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member

We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-@Jimb376mfp Jim
Tuesday- imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday- GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)

Thursday- Al_Howard (Al)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic of the Day: Have you Given Up?

NO not given up the struggle but what have you given up to not ever go back and eat what you used to have?
A GOAD taught me early to not give up a food that you will not be able to do without in the long term.

For example, I eat pizza but now it is not as frequently and it’s portion controlled.

What foods did you Give Up “forever” and why?

Replies

• Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    My former eating habits were atrocious. There are many foods I no longer eat because I no longer have the desire.

When I think of what I Gave Up are:

Potato Chips (occasional small bag at Subway not Large bag myself!)
    Dip for chips
    Fast Food (McDonald’s)
    M&M Peanut
    Diet Coke

As WW taught me to track whatever I can eat. I really don’t miss what I have given up. I tried some dip at Christmas and though Meh! Funny what I thought was good back when.

Happy I quit Diet Coke. My DW always hasDiet Pepsi so I can have one if I want one but it is rare.

A better thing I Gave Up was Mindless Eating. Probably my best change to LTL.

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,466 Member
    Options
    Cheese burgers. I’ve pretty much given up red meet. But if the soup is beef vegetable, I’m having it. If you’re making burgers at the cookout, I’ll have one. But hold the cheese.

The cheese doesn’t seem to add much but calories.

I haven’t ordered a slab of ribs in a restaurant since starting WW. But if DW does I’m getting one. Sometimes we have them at home. I’m good for 1-2.

Pizza- a couple pieces of veggie. All accounted for.

I think of it more in terms of things I stay away from.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,076 Member
    Options
    I can't think of anything I have formally given up forever. Having said that I eat pizza in small amounts maybe two or three times a year. I do stay away from a lot of stuff. I only have ice cream and preferably handmade or gelato a few times a year too.Better than wolfing down a quart or more for sure.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    The only things I gave up forever where those things that put my GI system into knots, like dairy & gluten. I've found some substitutes for things I formerly loved. Other things such as a really good bagel or soft serve just don't have a good substitute. Oh well.
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've given up anything specific. There are things (e.g., ice cream) that I have modified my personal rules for consumption. I have modified frequency and portions.
  • cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,852 Member
    Options
    peanut butter, its like kryptonite for me I cannot keep it in the house because it ends up on my waist line.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,918 Member
    Options
    "Given up"? Nothing! Not eating a s-ton of carp, yup. Can still get off the rails with snacks and beer. Working that to the weekends, slowly but surely. Eventually, maybe only 2 nights. ;)
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Gave up generally fried foods. The hardest to give up in that category was fried chicken. Still have a limited amount of chicken tenders occassionally.

For the most parts sweets such as pies, chocolates, and very limited amounts of ice cream on a very limited basis.

Canned foods and processed foods due to the sodium level plus DW can't stand canned foods for the most part ie vegetables in a can.

I have cheese but limit the amount because of the kcal or pts.

Haven't totally given up nuts even though their a good source of protein but it's so hard to quit with a tablespoon or 1/4 cup. Almonds, pecans, walnuts are like
    what @cakeman21k says kryptonite to me so I keep them at an arm's link.

Generally I have ro really watch all carbs. My fat cells turn them into fat instantly leaving me going up in weight. Trying to keep them at 150 kcal or less.🙂