New to GoaD

Options
alligatorob
alligatorob Posts: 736 Member
I am a 67 year old man with about 70 pounds to lose. I was up to 320 lbs and began a diet in May, lost 88 pounds and am now down to 232, but I should be at 160 lbs. Hoping to find help getting there.

I have been on a pretty strict 1,000 to 1,200 calorie a day diet now for almost 8 months, and so far so good. I do a little exercising, bike riding when I can, I live in Utah and the snow limits me and will until spring. No other exercise yet.

Looking forward to this.

Replies

• cakeman21k
    cakeman21k Posts: 5,852 Member
    Options
    Welcome home Bob!
    You are among many similar guys here. Feel free to check in ask questions respond to others, but most importantly be part of our community.
    Yes plateaus suck! Having said that its usually just a sign that you need to either be content with where you are or change something up in order to move downward on the scale. Each of us needs to make their own decision about that. The important thing is to be paying attention to your self.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,532 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rob!
  • misterhub
    misterhub Posts: 6,195 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,917 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rob. Sounds like a familiar tune. I'm 76, still trying to get to 220# at WW (fully dressed), hanging around 245#.
  • lowbar31
    lowbar31 Posts: 6,467 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rob. If you been doing this for 8 months I'm thinking you have it figured out. I'm guessing with your ID your not a UT native. 😎
  • alligatorob
    Options
    No, not a Utah native, born in Louisiana, lived mostly in Florida. Most recently in Alligator Point, on Alligator Drive, hence the name. But my wife is a Utah native so we are back here now. Wish I did have it figured out, I seem to be on a bit of a plateau now.

Thanks for all the greetings.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Welcome to Guys on a Diet (GOAD) we started as WW group but now we have a variety of guys and Gals who are striving to lose weight and stay/get healthy.

I stared at age 65 in 2013 and 376! Made Goal Weight 184 2018, slow but steady wins the race. Below GW And never going back up.
  • GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rob! Glad you’re here with us.
  • alligatorob
    Options
    Thanks all.
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    Welcome to Guys on a Diet (GOAD) we started as WW group but now we have a variety of guys and Gals who are striving to lose weight and stay/get healthy.

I stared at age 65 in 2013 and 376! Made Goal Weight 184 2018, slow but steady wins the race. Below GW And never going back up.

That is very impressive Jim, its kind of what I am trying to do. Can you tell me more about how you did it? Or point me to somewhere you have posted it already?

I have had some success and right now am at about the halfway point, but feel a bit plateaued. I also believe the second half will be harder, or weight loss will be anyway as I approach goal. Any advice or insight is welcome.
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,944 Member
    Options
    Welcome @alligatorob. I'm 72 years old started here online only at GoaD 2010 at 400.8 age 63 lost down to 295 then hit the wall. Gained back 60 to 359.6 got a scare heart wise and have lost back to 331.8 this am. I have struggled with my weight all my life at least since age 12. Like you trying to get to 200 at least.

So your in a good place here. There are some great success stories. We're all here to help each other. Good luck!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    @alligatorob

“That is very impressive Jim, its kind of what I am trying to do. Can you tell me more about how you did it? Or point me to somewhere you have posted it already?”

My Weight Loss Journey was a slow steady loss over five years all on Weight Watchers 376 to 184. Then on Maintenance since 2018 still on WW. The most important thing is to NOT QUIT! Every time I stopped following WW in my younger days I would gain it all back PLUS MORE!

Any Diet works with less calories in than calories used. It’s Simple but NOT EASY. The key is to change your Lifestyle so you’re not going on a temporary Diet, there is no Finish Line once you hit Goal you just keep Living gathering NEW LIFESTYLE.

I have posted my story here on different MFP boards and on WW Connect their members only Community boards.

Sounds like you’re half way to Your goal just keep going. This group of guys will answer any questions you may want on more specific topics for losing weight, Good Luck!