Restarting

nordukes
nordukes Posts: 12 Member
Hi all. I'm trying to get myself together AGAIN! Got way off over the holidays and want to start making changes in my habits. I need to lose 200 lbs. Very overwhelming when I think about it, but I have to start somewhere. I'm going in for shoulder replacement surgery next Wednesday. I hope I can begin to eat better and start losing again. Thanks for listening.

Replies

• tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    nordukes wrote: »
    Hi all. I'm trying to get myself together AGAIN! Got way off over the holidays and want to start making changes in my habits. I need to lose 200 lbs. Very overwhelming when I think about it, but I have to start somewhere. I'm going in for shoulder replacement surgery next Wednesday. I hope I can begin to eat better and start losing again. Thanks for listening.

Large goals can be overwhelming, why don't you break it down into 10-20lbs at a time?
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,516 Member
    Agreeing with @tinkerbellang83. Try not to think about 200lbs. Actually, other than to record WI data, maybe try not to think about the lbs right now. Think about keeping a food diary, planning a menu- stuff like that. Embrace the process. You’re right. Think about habits.
  • merph518
    merph518 Posts: 702 Member
    edited January 2020
    It's corny and cliche, but every journey starts with a single step. Like the others have said, try to focus on the short term. Start logging everything you eat, as you eat it. A big part of losing weight is knowing what you're putting into your body. Once you've established that habit over a couple days, start to reduce your calorie budget, slowly.

If you try to make too much of a change too fast, it'll be harder on you.
  • jjlewey
    jjlewey Posts: 248 Member
    I agree with @merph518. I have been getting people asking me lately how I have lost the weight, or how can they lose weight. Honest, diligent logging of food/calories is the only way I have been able to stay the course. Just the act of logging will influence my choices. I might still be in the drive thru, but I might choose a regular whopper instead of a double, or better yet a grilled chicken sandwich. In the past I would have gotten and did get the double whopper, large fries, and large regular coke. Maybe one day I will be able to make good decisions about food without the crutch of logging it, today I know I cant so I use the crutch.
  • Jackie9003
    Jackie9003 Posts: 1,114 Member
    I too would recommend smaller targets, it's going to take a long time so be patient and consistent.
    We're here to support you so shout up when you need to!
  • ConfidentRaven
    ConfidentRaven Posts: 1,428 Member
    I started with over 200 pounds to lose and cannot agree more with everyone who says to start with small steps and small goals. Focus on 10-20 pounds at a time, start with logging honestly, then move on to staying in a reasonable calorie goal because once you can do those things everything else will start to fall into place. Sure somedays won't be perfect and you'll have weeks where the scale doesn't seem to want to budge, but it's all about the long haul. You can do this, hang in there.
  • michne16
    michne16 Posts: 538 Member
    You’ve got this. You just need to get your mind in the right place. I agree with the others about small goals and starting slow. If you haven’t already, you may want to check out the podcasts Losing 100lbs with Phit n Phat or Half My Size. Both are very motivational and preach the “do what is sustainable for you” approach to making changes in diet. I recommend both.