Some Recipes for 1 or 2

Options
bmeadows380
bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
I'm single and cook for myself most days, and I'm not the sort that can eat the same thing several days in a row, so to keep from having my freezer filled with leftovers, I work to par down recipes to a single or at most 3 or 4 servings.

here are the results of some of my efforts!

2 Buttermilk Biscuits

1/4 cup all purpose flour (100 calories)
3/8 tsp baking powder
dash of salt to taste
1 Tbsp butter or shortening, softened (100 calories)
1 1/2 oz buttermilk (around 30 calories)

Heat oven (preferably a toaster oven set to bake) to 425 degrees F. Use cooking spray and light coat a small pan.
Mix flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl - if using self rising flour, omit the baking powder and salt.
Use a fork to cut the butter or shortening into the flour.
Stir in buttermilk until well mixed, but don't over mix.
Turn out onto a small plat with a little flour, and knead slightly. Pull into 2 pieces and shape into 2 patties.
Put on the pan and bake for around 8 minutes. (start checking this at about the 5 minute mark; mine came out just a tad darker than I cared for, but oven performances will vary).

This should come out to around 115 calories per biscuit, depending on your exact ingredients, such as subbing out low fat margarine for the butter and using a low fat buttermilk (mine was homemade and whole milk).

Replies

• bmeadows380
    Options
    Single Serving Breakfast Gravy

1/2 cup low fat milk (55 calories)
    1 Tbsp all purpose flour (25 calories)
    salt to taste

heat up a small skillet or saucepan - either something 1 quart size or the size to fry a single egg.

Using a small whisk or fork, blend the flour into the milk.
    Once skillet is hot, pour milk mix into the pan, whisking vigorously as you do so.
    Stir until gravy thickens. Add salt and pepper to taste.

This will come out to around 80 calories, though you can experience with using nut milks to lower it even more. Adjust the flour to get the desired gravy consistency; the version above makes a thin gravy, but my experience has been that breakfast thickens as it cools.
  • bmeadows380
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I'm still tweaking this one, but have made it a couple of times and been happy with the results!

1 Person No Bake Cookie

0.5 tsp baking cocoa
    2 Tbsp sweetener (sugar, splenda, swerve - something to approximate granulated sugar)
    0.5 Tbsp unsweetened cashew milk (can use whatever you like - almond, coconut, regular milk, etc)
    0.5 Tbsp margarine or butter
    0.5 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
    3 Tbsp quick oats

stir baking cocoa, sweetener, and milk in a mug or bowl until thoroughly mixed. Microwave 30s; stir. Microwrave another 15 seconds - watch your times carefully so that the mixture boils, but stays liquid! Too much time will harden the mix in the mug and you'll have to start over!

stir in margarine or butter until melted.

stir in peanut butter until melted.

stir in oats.

turn out onto a piece of parchment paper and let cool.

I make mine with imperial margarine and unsweetened cashew milk, and get the calories to clock in around 140. I'm still playing with the exact amount of oats; before, I tried whole oats and wasn't happy, then tried chopping them up and still wasnt' happy, then tried reducing the amount, and still wasn't happy, so next, I'm going to try the quick oats and see. I'm also trying to zero in on the correct microwaving time for my machine, but all in call, I've been quite pleased with the cookies made, and hope to get the recipe just right!

I make these single serving because I know for a fact that if I make a whole batch, I'm going to eat 3 or 4 at once and not be able to limit myself to 1. So if I only make 1, then there's no temptation!
  • papayahed
    papayahed Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Thank you. I'm single as well and end up eating the same thing for days.
  • bmeadows380
    Options
    I made this the other night and was very pleased with the results!

Single Homemade Sweet and Sour Pork

1/8 cup dry rice
    2 Tbsp swerve brown sugar
    1/2 tsp Less Sodium Soy Sauce
    2 Tbsp ketchup or tomato paste
    4 tsp Vinegar
    2 ounce onion, sliced
    0.12 tsp minced Garlic
    0.25 Cup Pineapple Tidbits In Pineapple Juice
    1/16 tsp, ground ginger
    1.40 oz Green Bell Pepper, sliced
    3.30 ounce Raw Boneless Pork Chop
    1.60 ounce raw carrot, peeled and sliced

cook the rice according to directions, adjusting the water content as necessary for the amount of rice.

cut pork into chunks.

In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, vinegar, ketchup and soy sauce. Pour half into a large resealable plastic bag; add pork. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove pork from bag; reserve sauce.

In a large skillet, cook pork for 3 minutes, using either oil or cooking spray. Add the onion, carrots, green pepper, garlic and ginger; saute until vegetables are tender. Add sauce. Bring to a boil; cook for at least 1 minute. Stir in the pineapple. Serve with rice.