February 1 Sign In

Options

Replies

• Hollis100
    Hollis100 Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017 About how to be social at restaurants without eating ... it's tough.

I meet friends at restaurants and cafes every week. For me, there are two options:

(1) eat before I go and just order coffee. The problem -- sometimes I feel I should order more than coffee because I'm taking up space at a table. It depends on the restaurant.

(2) OR, check the menu ahead of time (can't if the place doesn't post the menu online) and decide what I can eat.

I'm vegetarian. I usually order the oatmeal (if they're still serving it) with fresh fruit and skip the butter, or order a small or half salad (which is often plenty for one person) with dressing on the side. I skip the croutons. Coffee and oatmeal with fruit or coffee with a small salad is enough for me. My go-to restaurant food.

Then there's our local Chinese/Japanese all you can eat place that doesn't post a menu online. I've looked up generic food (little sesame balls are 100 calories each!!!) and I don't know what kind of oil they use. I do the best I can there. I have to decide before I go to limit myself.

• BonnieHosk85
    BonnieHosk85 Posts: 2,552 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, walking Ollie & Zoe for 19 minutes; walking Zoolumination for almost three hours
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yes
  • Luke_rabbit
    Luke_rabbit Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017

Some other options for restaurants:

Select counter service, so no one really cares if you only get a drink.

Tell the wait staff "I'm sorry, I'm fasting today. Would it be ok if I just have water? I'm happy to pay for the water/seat.".

What I do most of the time because of GERD. " I'm sorry, my stomach is really sensitive. Would the chef be willing to make [grilled menu item] completely plain with no oil or seasonings, including salt & pepper? How about these veggies? Could I get them steamed, also plain with no seasonings? Please thank the chef for me!"

If available, I will fill out a comment card or online comment form praising the food server and chef for accommodating me.

Hopefully your friends want to see you, not just watch you eat. 😁
  • Fongyi3
    Fongyi3 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes. 1h walking & 2 hours dancing...and my back and knees hurt today!😆
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes. I balanced my night out drinking with a low cal vegetable dinner
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?
    Yes
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Wow, impressive list of January winners. I'm on the right path to join them for February.

Exercise was physio exercises. I'm supposed to do them twice a day, but only got to it once. I wanted to go for a walk but got lazy so now I need to do something extra this week to get my points (insurance reward system). But I did still get some exercise in so I win.

It was our monthly sushihood session (girls catch up over sushi) so I planned ahead and ate little during the day, saving my calories for the evening and easily stayed within budget with it all logged.

Picked up a new batch of berries so excited to make smoothies before work and my housemate found a venison supplier so I can order weekly from there if needed. Currently have some mince and warthog cheese grillers, which are delicious!
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    7Liana7 wrote: »
    Date: 2.01.20
    Exercised?: Yes, hike following a beaver for an hour and 25 minutes of cardio.
    Calories?: Yes
    Tracked?: Yes
    I love reading everyone's replies.

Following a beaver? That sounds like such a fun way to get activity!
  • readyornot1234
    readyornot1234 Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Feb 1

I have two lunch dates next week.
    Asking myself how I can be social at restaurants without eating...

“Therein lies the rub”

Hi @MadisonMolly2017 - when I’m out of remission I have to eat bland meals. I still go out to restaurants. I just don’t order what’s on the menu. I tell my server that I need to eat super plain and little to no sodium. I usually get a grilled chicken breast and 2 orders sautéed veggies light on oil. Since restaurants serve huge portions of meat, I take half home and eat it for my next meal. When out of remission, I try to continue to do this because, like you, I just feel ick often after eating out. I used to just get cut up fruit but noticed a few results of that. One - people sometimes thought I had an eating disorder. Two - I made the others I was with so self conscious that they started to justify eating by telling me how they are hungry because of x, y, or z. Lately, when making plans with friends, I have been suggesting a walk followed by a light meal.
  • Dory_42
    Dory_42 Posts: 3,587 Member
    Options
    Date: 2.01.20
    Exercised?: Yes, hike following a beaver for an hour and 25 minutes of cardio.
    I love reading everyone's replies.

Following a beaver? That sounds like such a fun way to get activity!

Ooooh, I missed this one. Sounds awesome!
  • stephz00rz
    stephz00rz Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    February 1st

Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yes, reluctantly, lol
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yup, yup
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    February 1
    Exercised? YES, crossfit class
    Tracked? NO
    Calories? NO
    Passes Used: 1/3
  • victorious55
    victorious55 Posts: 3,312 Member
    Options
    Feb 1
    Pass Day 1

“Therein lies the rub”

When I was pregnant, there were a lot of eating out by my office group. I decided to eat my meals with no salt and no fried, or buttered stuff the restaurants accommodated me. Most restaurant are willing to accommodate when you tell them that you have some kind of diet constraints. That was how I got out of the high sodium, etc., restaurant's food.
  • gore_melinda
    gore_melinda Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? yes
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? yes
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? yes
  • saltypickle
    saltypickle Posts: 307 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Exercise: yes. Weight lifting, 25 min run & an hour of cleaning.
    Calories within goal: yes.
    Tracked: yes.
  • 7Liana7
    7Liana7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Date: 2.02.20
    Exercised?: Yes, painted my house, up and down ladders from 9 am to 4 pm. Then did 20 minutes of aerobics.
  • 7Liana7
    7Liana7 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Date: 2.02.20
    Exercised?: Yes, painted my house, up and down ladders from 9 am to 4 pm. Then did 20 minutes of aerobics.

Oops wrong post.
  • jem302
    jem302 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Pass 1/3 already! Couldn't stop eating 😂 happy February everyone :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 11,073 Member
    Options
    Hollis100 wrote: »
    @MadisonMolly2017 About how to be social at restaurants without eating ... it's tough.

I meet friends at restaurants and cafes every week. For me, there are two options:

(1) eat before I go and just order coffee. The problem -- sometimes I feel I should order more than coffee because I'm taking up space at a table. It depends on the restaurant.

(2) OR, check the menu ahead of time (can't if the place doesn't post the menu online) and decide what I can eat.

I'm vegetarian. I usually order the oatmeal (if they're still serving it) with fresh fruit and skip the butter, or order a small or half salad (which is often plenty for one person) with dressing on the side. I skip the croutons. Coffee and oatmeal with fruit or coffee with a small salad is enough for me. My go-to restaurant food.

Then there's our local Chinese/Japanese all you can eat place that doesn't post a menu online. I've looked up generic food (little sesame balls are 100 calories each!!!) and I don't know what kind of oil they use. I do the best I can there. I have to decide before I go to limit myself.

@Hollis100
    Thank you for taking the time to share your solutions with me!

I love your oatmeal & salad solutions, I love both, but need to steer clear due to my
    Immunosuppressants (Kidney Txplant)...

Otherwise those would work great for me!!

THANK YOU❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    @MadisonMolly2017

Some other options for restaurants:

Select counter service, so no one really cares if you only get a drink.

Tell the wait staff "I'm sorry, I'm fasting today. Would it be ok if I just have water? I'm happy to pay for the water/seat.".

What I do most of the time because of GERD. " I'm sorry, my stomach is really sensitive. Would the chef be willing to make [grilled menu item] completely plain with no oil or seasonings, including salt & pepper? How about these veggies? Could I get them steamed, also plain with no seasonings? Please thank the chef for me!"

If available, I will fill out a comment card or online comment form praising the food server and chef for accommodating me.

Hopefully your friends want to see you, not just watch you eat. 😁

@bold_rabbit
    Thank you for writing!

I will try all 3! I have Crohn’s so that should work! Love the fasting idea since so many do these days. And finding places where you order at counter is brilliant.

I did find friends often felt uncomfortable if I wasn’t eating too, but maybe if they know it’s medical...

I will try the sensitive stomach on Tuesday!

THANK YOU❣️
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Options
    Feb 1

“Therein lies the rub”

Hi @MadisonMolly2017 - when I’m out of remission I have to eat bland meals. I still go out to restaurants. I just don’t order what’s on the menu. I tell my server that I need to eat super plain and little to no sodium. I usually get a grilled chicken breast and 2 orders sautéed veggies light on oil. Since restaurants serve huge portions of meat, I take half home and eat it for my next meal. When out of remission, I try to continue to do this because, like you, I just feel ick often after eating out. I used to just get cut up fruit but noticed a few results of that. One - people sometimes thought I had an eating disorder. Two - I made the others I was with so self conscious that they started to justify eating by telling me how they are hungry because of x, y, or z. Lately, when making plans with friends, I have been suggesting a walk followed by a light meal.

@readyornot1234

Thank you for taking the time to respond!

Ok, yes I’ll do this!

I think I will bring some cut up fruit/Kind bar/nuts to possibly eat after Tues lunch, as I seem to want dessert when I eat out. (I think the high sodium leads to sugar craving for me.)

THANK YOU❣️