Not sure how to begin, picky eater

Options
lorib642
lorib642 Posts: 1,942 Member
My husband was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. He is doing fantastic. He eats less carbs, not keto, and lower glycemic foods. He gave up alcohol and soda, He has lost over 30 lbs in a few months and his labs are now normal. I think he reversed the diabetes, but he has to talk with his dr.

I want to like his food choices, but I don’t. It does not taste good to me. I am not much of a cook. I like things that I can grab and go.

Are suggestions for simple but tasty food?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    What do you normally like to eat?
  • lorib642
    Options
    For meals: fruits, veggies, chicken, rice, burrito, sushi. It is the snacks that are my downfall. I like sweets and overindulge. I may be in the wrong group.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    There are low-carbers who make low-carb snacks and sweets. That's not really my area, lol, as you'll learn if you hang out here long enough.

If it comes to meats, chicken is fine. That's the only meat you like?
  • lorib642
    Options
    I like beef but my husband likes chicken and ground turkey (which I don’t like). He does not eat beef or pork.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options
    I ended up cooking meals different from my family.
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Your not in the wrong group. Lots of ready to eat grab and go type of foods exist. You just gotta try out some stuff. For example, some low carb options if eaten within portion...
    Cheese sticks
    Plain Greek yogurt or oikos triple zero yogurt
    Nuts
    Hard boiled eggs
    Pre made salad kits
    Eggwich breakfast sandwiches by Jimmy Dean
    Jerky sticks, watch for added sugars
    Pickles and olives
    Lunchmeat and cheese with mustard
    Pork rinds with melted cheese
    Homemade green smoothies with low carb protein powder, I make mine with spinach, water and either some jay robb or fitmiss or isagenix
    Try to mix a small serving of rice with riced cauliflower to lower the carb count and get in more veggies
    Try a sushi bowl or salad instead of the specialty rolls
    Mission brand makes low carb tortillas for any burritos you might make.
    I like the quest protein bars for a quick meal or dessert
    Since you are more particular about what you like to eat maybe try and reduce serving sizes, that alone can shave off a lot of carbs.
    It’s totally doable to eat fruits and veggies while eating low carb. Instead of the whole Apple I will eat just half. Same with potato’s and beans.
    My diary is open to friends so you can see what I eat on a typical day. I’m low carb, gluten free, grain free, sugar free, I try and stay under 50 grams total. Most days I’m good but I still struggle, this is real life. I love fruit and veggies or else I could probably eat Keto. Once you get into the swing of things your body will stop craving junk and sugar.
    It’s amazing
    It’s great that you reached out 👍😋
    And welcome
  • lorib642
    Options
    Thank you
  • maureenkhilde
    maureenkhilde Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I love sweets. Having said that, and fact I am a diabetic I follow a low carb diet. For meats I eat, pork, chicken, some beef and fish. Today I made chili in the crock pot. Just used less beans than I normally would and used more veges but still made with toms, ground beef, onions, celery, chili powder and tried out radishes today. And threw some sharp cheddar on when done. Oh had over cauliflower rice was yummy.

I have learned if I want sweets I have to make with alternate sugars and flours and can stay low carb not go over and still lose weight. Also Halotop ice cream is good and within low carb diet food wise as it I think rebel ice cream,

Some quest protein bars ok, I like ATKINS endulge snack bars 140 each and low carb, decent protein. Pretty good prices on Amazon normally.

If you are into coffee, tons of recipes abound how to make either at home, or order from Starbucks or Dunkin Donuts so it is still low carb, low sugar. Also there are candy bars made with Stevia, or Lily Choc Chips I freeze the semi choc chips and when that Choc craving hits go weigh me some out.

Depending where you live there may be a KETO bakery, I understand yes doing low carb, but for tasty items if there is a Keto bakery around, they have great tasting items.

I think you are in the right area, lots of different ways to approach food.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Specifically in regard to sweets, here are a few ideas:

+ I sometimes make chocolate peanut butter mousse out of heavy whipping cream, cocoa powder, and a little peanut butter. It's fast, easy, and sweet enough for me without adding sugar (although I used to add sweetener).

+ Coffee can be made with cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, cocoa powder, vanilla, or sugar free syrups, depending on your taste and sensitivity to sweeteners (I try to avoid them for various reasons, but there are some things that just need a little more sweetness).

+ Low carb protein shakes can satisfy a sweet tooth.

+ Pecan bark is really easy to make out of a handful of ingredients like coconut oil, cocoa powder, sweetener, and pecans (or whatever nuts you want).

+ Keto/LC mug cakes can be mixed up and enjoyed in minutes.

+ Keto peanut butter cookies are easy to whip up a batch and can last for a while if you portion them appropriately.

All of the above are things I have enjoyed when I have a craving for sweets (I'm more of a salty snack kind of person, but chocolate is my weakness!). You can also search for "fat bombs" and find recipes. There are many that look like too much effort for me, so I look for simple ones. They're out there.

I know some people like sugar free jello. You can also buy sugar free candies in the store, but I recommend paying close attention to how your body responds to them.

It really just depends on what you enjoy.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    Don't forget about cauliflower rice!