Living the Lifestyle - Wednesday, 1/22/2020

GavinFlynn1
GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
We meet here to explore, share, celebrate and (sometimes) agonize over how we do (or don't) incorporate weight loss guidelines into our daily lives. "It's a lifestyle, not a diet" is easily and often said, but sometimes not so simply put into practice.nn

This is a thread for everyone. If you're new to GoaD, or to weight loss, your questions and comments are always welcome. If you're maintaining, or a long-term loser, your thoughts on the topic may be just what someone else needs to hear. If you're reading this, join in the discussion!nn

Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion.

Monday-Jimb376mfp (Jim)
Tuesday- imastar2 (Derrick)
Wednesday- GavinFlynn1 (Gavin)
Thursday- Al_Howard (Al)
Friday-misterhub (Greg)

Topic of the Day: Getting out of a slump

Sometimes, we can face a seemingly endless series of failures, big or small, that can drain us of motivation. How do you deal with slumps?

Replies

• GavinFlynn1
    GavinFlynn1 Posts: 1,664 Member
    Spoiler alert: This is a selfish topic because I’m going through a slump right now. 😁

I know from prior experience that what helps me is a consistent focus on the basics. If I keep it simple, and reset my attention to one day at a time, eventually the slump passes. I’m interested to hear what other techniques have helped others.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,526 Member
    Agree, get back to the day to day. Do the process. Plan a menu, weigh and measure, track, research, basic exercise. Go for a walk. Things to do. Move the body and the head will follow. Do the process and the scale will follow.

We can’t fix weight loss. But we can fix dinner.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,698 Member
    This is not my strong suit. But I would agree. Doing the basics of the plan. Tracking at some level, planning meals, portion control, get rid of the junk food. Persistence wins over perfection. Persistence can look pretty ugly at times but it improves with age.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    Process for sure. Switching to just straight herbal white balsamic vinegar on my salad last night and eating a cutie mandarin orange helped me get away from some of my recent abuses.
    Definitely some foods and condiments trigger the ole I want more and more of the less desirable foods etc.
    Edging back to the basics myself.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    edited January 2020
    My battle with the scale is not going well thanks to the incredible workload I now have trying to do two jobs. I've not had a day off from work since Tuesday, December 31st (yes, I've worked both days each weekend trying to not drown). I'm exhausted. I'm comforting myself with food.

One small change for today is just to eat slower.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,157 Member
    I hear ya gadget gal. I eat at warp speed going to an alternate universe myself. Better when I ease up for sure.