My Journey so far

Options
AzarielMoon
AzarielMoon Posts: 36 Member
So I've been doing keto (or at least a very keto-like diet) since 3rd October 2019. I've always been overweight, and sedentary, and had never contemplated trying any kind of diet as I didn't believe I had the willpower, nor the knowledge to undertake any diet change.

I started keto at 99.6kg, but at my heaviest recorded weight was 103.8kg in June 2018. My depression was getting worse, and my anxiety was at the worst it's ever been, and to top it off I'd been diagnosed with pre-diabetes, hypothyroidism, high blood pressure, increasing cholesterol and other weight related issues. Something had to give. So after the Doctor referred me to the dietitian, we made a weight loss plan, and I was given a diet to follow. It wasn't exactly keto, but was pretty close, so I adopted the more keto way as it was a little less restricting (I wasn't going to give up dairy completely, I enjoy my cheese lol).

I have always been very self conscious about my weight, and have always hated photos, but decided to have photos for reference for myself to see just where I've been and to know I never want to be there again.

One of these photos was taken in January 2018 (not even at my HR), when I joined a gym, which I hardly ever went to except to sit in the spa while my daughter went to swimming lessons.
The other photo is today, January 2020, 14kg gone since starting keto. I still have my gym membership and sit in the spa while my daughter has her lessons, but also have been going into the gym itself 1 day a week since late October. I do 20-25 minutes of cardio, and some weights.

hh9b7mb6oo6j.jpg
4qxohle33yc5.jpg

179187409.png

Replies

• nrs101364
    nrs101364 Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Great job! And believe me, we all love our cheese!!
  • herblovinmom
    herblovinmom Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Your doing awesome!! Have you been back to the doctor to have your markers re checked?!? I would be surprised if some of your health issues havnt started reversing. Sometimes it takes longer than a few months but you can tell your on the road to good health 👍
    keep it up!
    I have a doc appointment next week 😬 I’m scared and excited for positive changes!!! Wish me luck
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Thumbs up!
  • AzarielMoon
    AzarielMoon Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    @herblovinmom Yes I've been to the Dr and results aren't too bad.

My blood pressure is the lowest I remember it ever being, even lower than it was when I was taking meds, except when I had the haemorrhage after my 2nd daughter was born.

Most of my bloods have come back normal. I didn't get given the 2 hour glucose load to have again, although it was my tolerance that was the problem before, but the fasting came back normal.
    My thyroid hormone came back bad again. Admittedly I've not been taking the medication properly, so the Dr said to come back in three months, and do that test again, ensuring I take the meds every day.

My knee and back still playing up, but I'm not expecting them to get much better than they are now. They've been playing up for years already, since before I put on all the weight. Had a car accident in 2005 that's caused the back problems, and my knee is degenerative problems from doing competitive tenpin bowling as a teenager (I was doing anywhere from 15 - 40 games per week, including training).

I have a weight and measure at the gym next week to see how I've done with my other scale measurements such as body fat% and water%, etc, and to do my general waist, bust, etc measurements. I then see the dietitian the week after. I can almost guarantee she will tell me off again for mot eating properly, as she wants me eating at least twice a day, but I'm just not feeling hungry and it's often later in the evening before I realise I've not eaten and by then it's almost dinner time.. oops lol.