What does it mean to lose weight in a SENSIBLE and SUSTAINABLE fashion?

Options
2»

Replies

• PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,605 Member
    Options
    Sensible? Who knows: I have yet to find a normal person to ask them the question (once you dig in far enough!) :lol:

But I'm all in for hamster 🐹 management! And boy do mine need some management from time to most of the time! :wink:

Seems like a good plan to me; but it could well be an echo-chamber effect! :smiley:
  • luxia2020
    luxia2020 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm thrilled I caught sight of this thread! It provided some great insight as to why my previous attempts ended so miserably. Looking back at my vague memory of the journey (memory of a goldfish sometimes, I swear!), I realize it wasn't sustainable for me. AT. ALL. This time around, I'm determined to change things up! So, finally, taking the plunge to browsing through MFP's forum and finding this group has indeed been a godsend! There's so much information in here I wish I had paid attention to when I first tried to lose the fat!

When I was younger, what was "good" food and what was "bad" food? Food is food. I can make shapes out of them and eat them at the same time! It was only wrong when I needed to see those dentists that give kids trauma and fear of dentists. To this day, I don't think I have an unhealthy relationship with food. I'm really thankful for that because I believe it's almost a sin not to enjoy the food. Life was used in exchange for my plate of food. So for me, being sensible has just always been about portion control. I would not claim to be even decently good at it because I probably wouldn't be here, to begin with. :D

Sustainable... Now that's an entirely different story. Sometimes, I think our environments have made us too wired to "get as much done as fast as possible." From what I'm gathering so far, it seems that is just the antithesis to weight loss. "Slow and steady wins the race" is an overly used saying, but that adage seems to be the truth of the game. Just based on my own (limited) experience, sustainability means I shouldn't have to give something up for it. Instead, it should fit my busy schedule as it would with me lazing around. Which I'm now realizing is the crucial factor to keeping up with it for me. (Laziness is just in my bones, I swear. I applaud myself for getting out of bed most of the time. For something to be sustainable, I suppose it should be, "I want to do it because it's fun and I feel good doing so" versus "I should do it because I need to or there's a 'punishment' waiting for me if I don't." I'm starting to believe the punishment tactic is one of diminishing returns. Or maybe it's because of my culture that I'm just numb to it now. Either way, I guess it's time to cue in that creative juices to make things that don't seem fun/appetizing at first glance into something palpable and worthwhile.