This February I Will....

themedalist
themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
edited February 2020 in Social Groups
f9emf9w9fbs8.jpg

I know that January has 31 days, but it feels like the month just sped by! On the other hand, it's a giant leap forward to my favorite time of year: spring and a return to outdoor walking and container gardening. My Johnny's seed catalog always arrives in February. If I can't plant seeds until April, at least I can dream about gardening now. I had dinner at a friend's house last weekend and as I drove over, I marveled how wonderful it was that it was still light at 5:00pm. Nature also progresses in small steps.

So.... here we are in February. What are you going to accomplish this month? Will you continue your focus from January or head in a new direction?

If you are joining us for the first time, we are glad you are here! Let us know what your goal is for this month and how we can help. And just a suggestion: set a reminder to check-in periodically with us. Check-in daily, weekly, or as often as works for you, but let us know how you are progressing! We're here to support and encourage you, but if you don't post, we can't cheer you on!

And if you're joining us in mid February, no need to wait until March. Begin now and you'll be that much closer to achieving your goal. If you're looking for ideas, our list of previous challenges is helpful.

Let's hear what you've got in the works for February!

Using the structure that habits experts recommend, try to frame your goal along these lines:

1. My goal for this month (This February I will...")
2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
6. What help do you need from us?
7. What does success look like to you at the end of February?

Replies

• themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    I'm doing a back to basics challenge this month and focusing on my sleep. My bedtime is all over the place and it's been inching later and later. I know for me the biggest driver for getting a good night's sleep is going to bed at a reasonable and consistent time. I'm making that 10:30pm.

1. This February I will be more consistent with my sleep. Consistency should improve the quality of my sleep and how I feel.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will be in bed at 10:30pm 5 out of 7 nights.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I will set an alarm for 9:30pm so that I wrap up projects I'm working on and have some wind down time.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.): When I'm in bed at 10:30 I will congratulate myself with "Nice!" or "Well done!"
    6. What help do you need from us? Encouragement!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I'll feel less draggy and feel as I do when I get good, regular sleep. I also notice that when I've gotten a good night's sleep, I play the guitar better. That's a huge motivator!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,729 Member
    A new semester is going to begin soon and I’m feeling a bit stressed especially since I’m going to a ball 😊out of town the weekend before the semester. 😲

So..
    1. This February I will get a better handle on time management.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I’ll check my calendar every day.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - after I finish breakfast, I’ll check it
    4. How often will you do your new habit -daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I’ll give myself a check mark for the date
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I’ll be better able to to keep all my ducks in a row. 🦆🦆 🦆 🦆

February 1
    February 2 ✅
  • MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    Thank you @themedalist!

1. This February I will...play with Art daily.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will leave simple art activities & supplies next to my bed for busy days.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: walking past my Art Studio / seeing supplies are bedside

4. How often will you do your new habit? Daily - 1-3 sessions a day

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? Knowing I am growing as an artist & reaffirming that creating art gives my life JOY & Peaceful Happiness.

I will also post here with icons :)

6. What help do you need from us? I love reading your updates - they are very inspiring :)

7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? Lots of fond memories, experiments, and art! Excitement about my projects!
  • 77tes
    I’m excited about your goal @MadisonMolly2017 !
  • MadisonMolly2017
    Thank you @77tes !!

I’m excited by yours!! How’s it going?

Feb 1 - Major Re-org of Art Studio

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!!

It was so nice to have a clear table to play with my paints today!!!

Fun!!
  • 77tes
    So far I’m doing well checking my calendar. I’m finding that checking it before breakfast actually works better. I also decided I enjoyed the ducks icon for getting my ducks in a row. 😊

February 1
    February 2 ✅🦆
    February 3✅🦆
    February 4 ✅🦆I’m starting to track what I have done on my calendar
  • PackerFanInGB
    PackerFanInGB Posts: 3,328 Member
    Hi everyone! Late to the party, as usual!

1. My goal for this month. This February I will spend at least 15 minutes doing some form of self-care.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal I will either use 15 minutes before work or 15 minutes when my 9:00 p.m. "time to wind down" alarm goes off and listen to Calm app or a podcast, perhaps take time to journal, mani.pedi, or draw.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit After I pour my first cup of coffee, I will take time to listen to a short podcast. If I don't have time in the morning, then I will do it when my 9:00 pm alarm goes off.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible) daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? The actual act of self-care will be a great reward in and of itself! However, if I do this 24/29 days, I will go to Barnes & Nobles and purchase a new self-care or inspirational book!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I will be dealing with the stress in our lives much more calmly, feel less anxious and will feel more at peace.

Feb 1: :naughty:At mom's out of state helping get house ready to put up for sale.
    Feb 2: :smile: Looked at beautiful quilts on Pinterest on car ride home
    Feb 3: :smile: Listened to podcast of Joyce Meyers yesterday morning
    Feb 4: :smile: Listened to Joyce Meyer this podcast this morning and wrote in gratitude journal
  • leanna_aroha
    leanna_aroha Posts: 22 Member
    I'm doing a back to basics challenge this month and focusing on my sleep. My bedtime is all over the place and it's been inching later and later. I know for me the biggest driver for getting a good night's sleep is going to bed at a reasonable and consistent time. I'm making that 10:30pm.

1. This February I will be more consistent with my sleep. Consistency should improve the quality of my sleep and how I feel.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will be in bed at 10:30pm 5 out of 7 nights.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: I will set an alarm for 9:30pm so that I wrap up projects I'm working on and have some wind down time.
    4. How often will you do your new habit: Daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.): When I'm in bed at 10:30 I will congratulate myself with "Nice!" or "Well done!"
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I'll feel less draggy and feel as I do when I get good, regular sleep. I also notice that when I've gotten a good night's sleep, I play the guitar better. That's a huge motivator!

This is a really good goal, I am working on this as well and someone suggested the other night that if I am in bed on time I should reward myself by reading a bit of a leisure book which I often don't have time for. I'm not sure I can work on my sleep consistently this month yet, but I might look at this next month.
  • leanna_aroha
    leanna_aroha Posts: 22 Member
    There is such a wonderful variety of goals in this thread from sleep to fitness and everything in between. It's so awesome to see what everyone is working for ideas and getting inspiration. I am a bit late to write this month (a few summer school deadlines). Yes, it's summer here and we have had a long heatwave over the past two weeks. Today has been the coolest day since and it was so nice. I am still getting a handle on the basic goals and my fitness hasn't been the best for the last two weeks, so I will mostly be focussed on exercise this month. I am happy with how I am doing with my nutrition, but it could reappear over the next few months.

1. My goal for this month will be to complete 3 workouts a week of cardio (walk/bike 20min) and weight training/strength training (6 workouts/week).
    3. To help accomplish these goals I will plan out my days at the start of the week around study and other commitments.
    4. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit will be to check my diary at the beginning of each day with my morning coffee and aim to complete a workout after my first study block.
    5. How often will you do your new habit (6 days a week/3 days a week if combining workouts)
    6. I will celebrate by sharing with my sisters who are also working on their nutrition and fitness.
    7. Just reading everyone's updates is inspirational.
    8. At the end of February, I will be confident and have enough fitness to either walk the falls track or walk the local maunga track in preparation for the fun walk/run in June.
    9. I plan my daily diary from my week planner and at the end of the day I will review my goals so I can adjust them as needed throughout the week, without waiting for a new week to begin.

Just a carryover from last month, I also achieved over 80% of my goals last month so I will need to go shopping for some new walking shoes soon :smile:

• MadisonMolly2017
    edited February 2020

I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!

Feb 1 - began Major Re-org of Art Studio

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!

🎨 Feb 4 coloring book for hours over several times of the day - relaxing

🎨 Feb 5 organized my scrap paper, then planned the framing of my friend’s tapestry.
    Then off to art group- coloring book
    Plan to do pen & ink flower piece later today for an upcoming exhibit in town!!!!

It was so nice to have a clear table to play with my paints today!!!

Fun!!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    77tes wrote: »
    So far I’m doing well checking my calendar. I’m finding that checking it before breakfast actually works better. I also decided I enjoyed the ducks icon for getting my ducks in a row. 😊

February 1
    February 2 ✅🦆
    February 3✅🦆
    February 4 ✅🦆I’m starting to track what I have done on my calendar

@77tes Love it! I’m a huge Make Way for Ducklings fan!! 🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆 🦆
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,645 Member
    I have really enjoyed reading everyone's goals so far this month and the progress is awesome!

I have so many things I need to work on so I will be focusing and charting them all this month.
    1) I've booked a 5 bedroom house in CO for a week this summer for my kids and grandkids to get together with my husband and me. I want to sit around the campfire and sing songs so that means I need to work on learning songs on the guitar that they will be familiar with. I've spent about 15 min a day in 5 min intervals because my fingers get sore really fast since I've neglected my guitar for so long. But I'm improving already! I'm using a button for a pick since I lost mine and can't find it :D
    2) I need to go to bed at a more regular time. I've decided on 11-11:30 and found the perfect reward is if I'm successful, I can check IG first thing in the morning. I follow inspirational people and always go away after 5-10 minutes saying, "Yes, I can strive for excellence! What will I do today?" and then going through the day being pumped for action.
    3) I'm working on the binding for my granddaughter's quilt and made a sleeping bag for my grandson's favorite giraffe today. My Quilts of Valor group gave me a kit to make a quilt for them so I will be starting on that in a week or so.
    4) If I expect to be able to travel and hike and do fun projects for many more years, the most important thing I can do is to live a healthy lifestyle, so I guess that one trumps all the rest and needs to be #1 on my list. So, I will follow up this post with my goal and figure out how to record my progress here.

Good luck to all this month. You're off to a great start!
  • nebslp

1. My goal for this month: I will take actions that will improve my physical and mental wellbeing.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal: I will work out for 10 minutes every day. I will also chart calories eaten and calories burned and keep the burn at a higher number.
    I will engage in a creative and/or study activity every day (sewing, music, photography, birds, French). And be in bed by 11:30.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit: Keep my phone by the bed so I can grab it and listen to IG first thing in the morning. Then go upstairs and write out my daily plan as usual and use that as a reminder throughout the day.
    4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible): daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? For going to bed on time, IG in the morning. For doing the other activities, visualize how I will use the improvements in the future and how I will feel. I like @PackerFaninGB 's idea of buying an inspirational book at the end of the month if I am successful.
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I will have lost a few pounds, feel stronger, feel more confident in the new skills I'm learning and in the old ones I'm honing.

So much, maybe too much, but it's spread throughout the day and I'm doing those things now, just not focused on every day yet. I'm going to do my best to accomplish my goals and not get sidetracked like I usually do around week 4.
  • nebslp
    Feb 5
    10 minute walk (hill)
    -203 food cal below burn cal
    🧵 Quilting webinar, quilt binding 📸 depth of field lesson, 🎸“Imagine”
    In bed at 11:22

Yesterday was a good day. Today I’m meeting my son for lunch so will have to look up the menu before leaving so I don’t blow my whole cal count at one meal!
  • nebslp
    Feb 6
    20 minutes of stretching, weights, walking
    -203 (again!)
    🧵quilt binding, 🎸Imagine 📸DOF study
    In bed 11:25

I have to force myself to work out. I put it off until late afternoon but I’ve been getting it done. If I focus on just 10 minutes, it seems easier to do it. My knees get sore if I’m not careful with squats.
  • debrabuf1
    debrabuf1 Posts: 5 Member
    Trying to follow the 20, 20, 20 rule when chewing my food. I eat so fast and then end up binging cause I'm not satisfied cause I never really tasted the food. Bad habit I want to change over time.
  • nebslp
    Feb 7
    10 min weights
    Cals in exceeded burn. I should have looked up cal values before scarfing down that 3rd😳 slice of pizza. The homemade blueberry muffins didn’t help either😕 Not my finest eating day😜.
    🧵 finished the binding 😃 🎸”Imagine” is getting smoother, needs more practice.
    In bed 11:29!