This February I Will....

Replies

• MadisonMolly2017
    MadisonMolly2017 Posts: 10,963 Member
    edited February 2020

I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!

Feb 1 - began Major Re-org of Art Studio

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!

🎨 Feb 4 coloring book for hours over several times of the day - relaxing

🎨 Feb 5 organized my scrap paper, then planned the framing of my friend’s tapestry.
    Then off to art group- coloring book
    Plan to do pen & ink flower piece later today for an upcoming exhibit in town!!!!

It was so nice to have a clear table to play with my paints today!!! Fun!!

🎨 2/6 helped a friend choose fabric/wall paper at a Re-use non-profit for her tapestry. Chose a few things for my fabric & paper supplies; was moderate.

🎨 2/7 Took 20-30 minutes of notes of a novel I hope to use as inspiration for a handmade art book/diary.
    Watched two videos: one on some principles that aid with composition & another that reminded me to use phone to see in process art in value scale &:or upside down to improve composition. Reminded that I don’t use enough dark darks :)
  • MadisonMolly2017
    nebslp wrote: »
    Feb 7
    10 min weights
    Cals in exceeded burn. I should have looked up cal values before scarfing down that 3rd😳 slice of pizza. The homemade blueberry muffins didn’t help either😕 Not my finest eating day😜.
    🧵 finished the binding 😃 🎸”Imagine” is getting smoother, needs more practice.
    In bed 11:29!
    Hey @nebslp! We all have those days :) I had one yesterday.

Were you tired? Stressed? Too hungry?
    Interesting to be a detective 🕵️‍♀️ and figure out what led up to it...

I force myself to sit down & pay attention to every bite - even if I’m eating more than I planned. And I am working on logging everything first- which I do 6 out of 7 nights at this point.

Baby steps!
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,211 Member
    There are some stellar goals being pursued this month: logging food, regular exercise, better sleep and stress management, better time management, and cultivating hobbies that bring us joy! Great focus areas with good triggers and rewards that increase the likelihood that they’ll stick as habits.

And a very warm welcome to new members @bacpath and @debrabuf1! We are glad that you joined us and we look forward to hearing how you are progressing and cheering you on!
  • themedalist
    edited February 2020
    @MadisonMolly insightfully stated:
    “I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!”

If I swapped out “guitar” for “art”, word for word I feel the same way and I have experienced the same thing. Before I lost weight my weight, food was my biggest daily pleasure. I was either eating food or thinking about eating food. And it’s understandable… Food tastes great and it’s usually a source of immense pleasure. But I made it too important in my life. Since I’ve been focusing on learning to play the guitar the last few years, it has dethroned food as my greatest source of daily pleasure. There’s such a deep sense of joy, achievement, fun, creative expression, and knowing that with more practice I’ll only get better, that it has truly changed my life. I never got any of that from a brownie!

Every single person I know on MFP who has lost weight and maintained that loss has a creative hobby that they indulge in regularly. Often several hobbies, such as @77tes and her love of sewing and dancing. I certainly know people who are very creative and still overweight, but I think shifting the focus from food to creative pursuits that give us joy tilts the odds in our favor of reaching and maintaining a healthy weight.
  • themedalist
    An update on my goal for this month, to get more sleep by going to bed earlier. I’ve been reasonably successful at being in bed by 10:30, but even when I’m not, just having that goal has made me go to bed earlier than I would otherwise. But I also wasn’t seeing much improvement in how I felt. I still felt tired and draggy and feeling like I was coming down with a cold. And then I realized I was likely feeling lousy because of the low humidity that results from running my wood stove in the wintertime. The two are very correlated timing wise. So while I’ve been thinking I need more sleep, what I really needed was more moisture in the air.

I bought a room humidifier and oh my… What a difference! I feel so much better. No more feeling draggy, coughing, with low-grade headaches. I can breathe again and as a result I think I’ll sleep much better.

I’m looking forward to seeing how the humidifier and a slightly earlier bedtime impact how I feel!
  • nebslp
    nebslp Posts: 1,645 Member
    Feb 8
    10 min walking
    -232 cal below burn
    🧵Washed and dried granddaughter’s quilt, made label
    In bed 11:29 (am cutting it pretty close! My goal is 11:30)
  • nebslp
    [/quote]
    Hey @nebslp! We all have those days :) I had one yesterday.

Were you tired? Stressed? Too hungry?
    Interesting to be a detective 🕵️‍♀️ and figure out what led up to it...

I force myself to sit down & pay attention to every bite - even if I’m eating more than I planned. And I am working on logging everything first- which I do 6 out of 7 nights at this point.

Baby steps![/quote]

@MadisonMolly2017 I think it pays to be a detective. I looked back at my log and saw that on the day that I overindulged it was because I had eaten very little protein and I was hungry. I have been eating yogurt with 15 gr protein since then in the afternoon and it makes a big difference in my resistance. Thanks for the tip!

• nebslp
    @themedalist Buying a room humidifier was a great idea. I like that when you had a problem, you figured out a possible solution and then took action. I’m glad you are feeling less tired. So often when I have a problem I don’t try to figure out the solution so I settle for less than the best. Or if I do know of something I could try, I don’t always make the effort to try it🤪. I need to remedy that!

I totally agree that having a creative outlet has a positive effect on life. I think it’s the challenge of being able to do something I couldn’t do before, or doing it better than before is very uplifting. Learning a new song on the guitar or a new quilting technique are challenging but so worth the effort. When I’m doing those things, food is the last thing on my mind.
  • nebslp
    Feb 9
    10 min walk
    🧵worked on quilts of valor quilt 1 hour 🎸Imagine
    In bed 11:22...I am moving cut off time to 11:25 this week. It’s possible. It’s just a decision. And my reward motivation is strong! I feel hopeful every day when I get up and can watch trainwithjoan go through her paces and read her inspiring words first thing in the morning. She’s 73 and started losing weight and working out 3 years ago and looks and feels phenomenal! She has me believing in the impossible💗
  • scotthirons
    scotthirons Posts: 5 Member
    Joining mid-Feb. but might as well start documenting now and not wait until March.

1. My goal for this month (This February I will...")
    Stay on track recording all food I consume. Get back on the treadmill and routine of some sort of physical activity at least 3 days a week.

2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal
    Start with breakfast. Open the app every morning and start with logging breakfast.

3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit
    Don't swipe away the MFP reminder. Click it and open the app to start logging.

4. How often will you do your new habit (daily is best if possible)
    Daily

5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? (Small positive feedbacks such as a fist pump, saying "I'm awesome", or a star/check mark on your calendar help cement the habit you are trying to build.)
    Just a simple pat on the back to say "you did it!"

6. What help do you need from us?
    Just a simple pat on the back to say "you did it!"

7. What does success look like to you at the end of February?
    Trend line for weight going down.
  • nebslp
    @scotthirons It's always a good day to start working on your goals. Welcome to this group👏🏻👏🏻👏🏻
  • nebslp
    I took my sewing machine in yesterday for a tuneup. Funny feeling of anxiety for being without it all week set in as soon as I put the cover on it. It will be like new again, so it’s all good. No workout other than shopping for a couple of hours. No special projects either. But I was in bed by 11:20 meeting my deadline🙂. That meant I could check out Instagram this morning and first thing I saw was a video clip of trainwithjoan standing on the beach in her swimsuit and jumping straight up in the air. What!?! Maybe I’ll be able to do that when I’m 73 if I work at it🤞. I need to reduce my fat intake big time! And increase protein which means I’ll be having protein powder snacks to supplement my lack. It’s a learning process and may not be easy. I’ve heard the rewards are so worth it!😁 Let’s all have a good rest of the week! How’s it going for you?
  • themedalist
    nebslp wrote: »
    I took my sewing machine in yesterday for a tuneup. Funny feeling of anxiety for being without it all week set in as soon as I put the cover on it. It will be like new again, so it’s all good. No workout other than shopping for a couple of hours. No special projects either. But I was in bed by 11:20 meeting my deadline🙂. That meant I could check out Instagram this morning and first thing I saw was a video clip of trainwithjoan standing on the beach in her swimsuit and jumping straight up in the air. What!?! Maybe I’ll be able to do that when I’m 73 if I work at it🤞. I need to reduce my fat intake big time! And increase protein which means I’ll be having protein powder snacks to supplement my lack. It’s a learning process and may not be easy. I’ve heard the rewards are so worth it!😁 Let’s all have a good rest of the week! How’s it going for you?

@nebslp, we get used to having access to the things that are our core habits and routines that give us pleasure. I can understand your angst! But I'm sure your sewing machine will be back and better than ever very soon! I'm glad you are finding inspiration from trainwithjoan on IG. We can remake ourselves and build a better life for ourselves in almost unimaginable ways. But it starts with believing that it's possible. Sounds like Joan is the proof of that!
  • MadisonMolly2017

I am focusing on my art practice, as it is key to my maintaining my weight. It relaxes me, gives me purpose, leads to discovery & learning, and brings me joy!

🎨 Feb 2 - coloring book fun that I embellished with added drawings, quotes, family member’s names!!! I like it much better if I personalize the page- just had never thought of it before!

🎨 Feb 3 - played with watercolor on scraps of paper. No pressure. The best one was just pure chance :)

Jan 30-Feb 2 Major revamp of art studio to support my current interests. Not giving away much - just organizing more efficiently. Loved all empty boxes & bins downstairs for other uses. Two more days to go on the revamp!

🎨 Feb 5 organized my scrap paper, then planned the framing of my friend’s tapestry.
    Plan to do pen & ink flower piece later today for an upcoming exhibit in town!!!!

🎨 2/6 helped a friend choose fabric/wall paper at a Re-use non-profit for her tapestry. Chose a few things for my fabric & paper supplies; was moderate.

🎨 2/7 Took 20-30 minutes of notes of a novel I hope to use as inspiration for a handmade art book/diary.
    Watched two videos: one on some principles that aid with composition & another that reminded me to use phone to see in process art in value scale &:or upside down to improve composition. Reminded that I don’t use enough dark darks :)

2/8 collected vintage-y items into one place
    2/9 Art studio reset
    2/10 coloring book (driving lots)
    2/11 Painting class with friend
    2/12 watched a teaching video on developing one’s own artistic voice (driving lots)
    2/13 watched a collage teaching video
    Major Reorg. of art studio supplies (driving lots)
    Got 2 new art supplies & only the two I planned to get! Yay!

Weight is up after my trip - I am resisting the urge to toss art aside :) I can find the balance.
  • nebslp
    @MadisonMolly2017 not sure what you mean by tossing the art aside. Wouldn’t that be like tossing a piece of your heart aside!? That will not work!! I always gain from traveling. I blame it on water retention from sitting so much. You’ll be fine🙂 🖼 🎨 paintbrush 🖌
    Bedtime for me NOW!!
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,728 Member
    You all are doing great. I’m still struggling with an appropriate trigger. Often, I must rush when I finish breakfast. Still, checking really is helping me stay on top of things.

1. This February I will get a better handle on time management.
    2. The small actions I’ll be taking to accomplish this goal - I’ll check my calendar every day.
    3. The trigger or cue to remember to do my habit - after I finish breakfast, I’ll check it
    4. How often will you do your new habit -daily
    5. What reward will you immediately give yourself for doing your habit? I’ll give myself a check mark for the date
    6. What help do you need from us? Cheer me on!
    7. What does success look like to you at the end of February? I’ll be better able to to keep all my ducks in a row. 🦆🦆 🦆 🦆
    February 1
    February 2 ✅🦆
    February 3✅🦆
    February 4 ✅🦆I’m starting to track what I have done on my calendar
    February 5 ✅🦆 I forgot at breakfast time, but checked later in the day.
    February 6 ✅🦆
    February 7 ✅🦆 Checking electronic calendar because I am away from home.
    February 8 ✅🦆Checking electronic calendar because I am away from home
    February 9 ✅🦆Checking electronic calendar because I am away from home
    February 10 ✅🦆 I’m getting better about adding items to the calendar
    February 11 ✅🦆
    February 12 ⤵️🦃 Forgot to check
    February 13 ✅🦆

In other news, my sister and I Had a wonderful weekend in Santa Barbara for another ball. Such fun!

Here is a YouTube of one of the dances from the ball.

https://youtu.be/SBJ_Q9LEgYg

• nebslp
    @77tes Oh wow! That is so cool!! What time period are you portraying? It reminded me of the book I’m reading about Patsy, Thomas Jefferson’s daughter, and could see them dressed and dancing just like that. I especially liked the guy with the red coat and white leggings...very George Washington. What fun!💗 Oh and it looks like your duck row is getting longer🙂 There’s always got to be one turkey in the bunch though, right🤪
  • MadisonMolly2017
    fbnjebmwdo3e.png
    ]

Watched two videos: one on some principles that aid with composition & another that reminded me to use phone to see in process art in value scale &:or upside down to improve composition. Reminded that I don’t use enough dark darks :)[/quote]
    2/8 collected vintage-y items into one place
    2/9 Art studio reset
    2/10 coloring book (driving lots)
    2/11 Painting class with friend
    2/12 watched a teaching video on developing one’s own artistic voice (driving lots)
    2/13 watched a collage teaching video
    Major Reorg. of art studio supplies (driving lots)
    Got 2 new art supplies & only the two I planned to get! Yay!

Weight is up after my trip - I am resisting the urge to toss art aside :) I can find the balance.[/quote]

• 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,728 Member
    @nebslp, that dance was first Published in 1698, but it was popular for generations. So Jefferson’s daughter might well have danced it.

@MadisonMolly2017 , I loved how you are making art and making a path for future art!
  • MadisonMolly2017
    @77tes
    I love your complete joy of your balls AND that you do them with your daughters!!’

I love your ducks!!! I think you’re doing GREAT!!

Thank you! Art gives me so much. I feel my resistance & past stories (I’m not good enough) falling away :)