Monthly Post February 2020

Replies

• Meghan509
    Meghan509 Posts: 1,953 Member
    Good morning.

Happy Friday. Hope everybody is well. I am off on Monday for the President's Day (US) holiday which is nice. Could really use a break. :(

Hope you all have a nice weekend. See you soon.
  • mamainthekitchen
    mamainthekitchen Posts: 929 Member
    Welcome @cgcrutch and @originalslicey !! So nice to read about your fasting goals. We’re all different!

First off... my phone!! Omg, so it wasn’t rain getting it wet, apparently “they” can “tell”... it was the motherboard! So, the Cell Dr ordered parts, performed the transplant and $120.00 later!!!!! Viola! I’m back!! Took over a week though, but so happy I didn’t have to get a new one just yet because I’ve got a good contract. Weird being so obsessed with my phone though!!!

Meghan you’re doing so well!! Glad you’ve been back to the gym too! Last year I made an almond flour pizza crust which turned out really good!!! As long as you make it thin!!
    So impressed you’re sticking to ALL your goals!!!!! Hope you enjoy your long weekend!

Kate! Are you finding life a little easier now that your school has finished?? Hope you got some rest!

Ok as for me... I was doing well until my phone died. Yes I’m blaming my phone!! Today is a big bbq day and tomorrow we have the stat holiday called “family day” @A_Dabauer ... you must have that too! So it’s a little wine and bbq all weekend. I am planning a 24 hr total fast starting sometime Monday they tues. I personally like the 5:2 method best for losing weight, so I’ll get back to it after my 24 full out water fast.

My stats: for the newbies here....
    I’m 60!!! Ugh, I don’t feel it yet...
    5’6” and have been hovering around 160 for the past year! Last weigh was just after Christmas and again 159.6! I’m probably 165 by now judging on how I feel in my jeans but I’ll weigh myself Wednesday or so to see for sure. The problem being a little taller, is that I can gain 5 lbs without noticing! By the time I do notice I’m a good 8 lbs extra!! My goal would be 150lbs.

For the long hour fasters.... remember; protein beforehand, water during, and don’t go so long that you binge afterwards!
    Ya, I’m 60... I give advice!

Xo Mama
  • orlcam
    orlcam Posts: 533 Member
    Hello everyone...glad to see all of you. Still trying to deal with the chaos in our lives at the moment and unfortunately we haven't spent any brain power correcting our WOE. :| ...but, there's always tomorrow...I know I should be saying "no time like the present" :D sigh, so many proverbs, so little time.

Sending out good vibes to you all..enjoy.
  • KateNkognito
    KateNkognito Posts: 1,515 Member
    edited February 2020
    Hey, y'all! I have been MIA lately. I am still chubby. The last two weeks I have been so tired, I can't remember to fast. BUT, I have a five day weekend, starting Wednesday. I am going to do ADF, and kick-start myself. I just rebounded to a weight I dislike, so the motivation is definitely there.
    It is GREAT to see some new faces. :) And @Meghan509 is always there to greet us when we come back. ;)
    Have a great week! Will be back tomorrow!
  • Meghan509
    Good morning all!

Happy Tuesday! Nice to log on and see all of your smiling faces, <3@mamainthekitchen @orlcam and @KateNkognito!!

Things are pretty good here. Unfortunately I didn't have a loss this past Friday AM, when I hopped on the scale. But here's hoping for a loss this week! We had a relaxing weekend with an extra day off yesterday - always appreciated! We didn't get to the gym over the weekend, but are planning to get there tonight through Thursday nights for a good walk on the treadmill.

We bought a new Instant Pot! So exciting LOL. I have wanted one for a while, but we have limited space and I have always been a loyal slow cooker user. But since starting Keto last year we use it less and could use an Instant Pot for all the cool Keto Friendly recipes I have seen out there for it. And the Instant Pot can slow cook and we also got one that has the Sous Vide feature. Have you heard about Sous Vide style cooking for poultry, fish, and red meat?! Yum...

Hope everybody has a nice day and a good rest of the week. @A_Dabauer hope all is well with you too! Your losses are inspiring!

Have a good day and see you all soon.
  • Meghan509
    Good morning all.

Happy Wednesday. This week is moving right along and I like it!

Have a good one and chat soon.
  • KateNkognito
    edited February 2020
    Morning, all! I am back on the fast train. I have gotten to a point where I can't let myself say, "I will fast tomorrow, instead!" SO, alternate day fasting it is. I won't freak out if I miss one, but I will get back on track the next day. And I am starting my habit trackers in my bullet journal again, too. It is a nice visual.
    @Meghan509 I have been looking at the instant pots, but I haven't gotten one yet. I love my Crock-Pots. Maybe this summer I will get one for back to school.
    *I hit save before I was ready! :s
    I hope everyone is doing well! Happy fasting! Shout-out to those who lurk! <3
  • mamainthekitchen
    Morning all!!
    Well I’ve had the last two days successful. Two Omad days and fasted 23 hrs & 22 hrs. I’ve started using my Zero app for those types of days which makes it simple and encouraging. I was wanting to start back into the real 5:2 but I’m not remembering to log my food!! I’ve got to use my phone for reminder ‘beeps’ maybe..? Gotta do it!!! But so far I feel good fasting all day then one good lower carb meal.

Instant pot is a popular kitchen item!! I’m always seeing recipes for using them! Sounds perfect for you Meghan, with your working schedule.... for me, I have no more room in my kitchen!

Orlcam... hoping your life settles a bit and hope you don’t stress eat!

@A_Dabauer hope you’ve been doing well.

Kate... sounds like both of us have hopped back on the wagon!! Let’s grip tightly!! I like the sound of your ‘habit tracker in your bullet journal’ idea.... I need visuals too!!

Happy fasting Wednesday people!!
    Not sure what my plans are yet... sipping on hot lemon water atm. And it’s a gorgeous blue sky day!!!
  • mamainthekitchen
    I’m at the 19hr mark right now for fasting! Making some hard boiled eggs and will have a chefs salad for dinner (with sliced ham & all things veggie) I use a little mayo & fresh lemon juice & lots of pepper as my dressing! I don’t care really how long I go, just as long as I’m over the 18hr mark as I’ve read that’s pretty good. Had a lovely walk on the “d y k e” (built up gravel path by the shore) by my seaside town... it was cold and sunny, but gorgeous!! Along with my separate dog walk, I’m now over 400 cals burned which makes me happy!!! Hard to believe I used to do this EVERY day!!!! Why did I stop???? It’s too hard to start up again!!!!
    Hope everyone’s doing well.
  • KateNkognito
    @mamainthekitchen You got this! The best news is that you used to do it every day. That means you can do it again every day. :) My husband grows lettuce in the winter and it is the best. He has a frame with the sliding glass doors we replaced. On really cold nights he has Christmas lights that keep it warm in there. Super yummy in the winter time. I am going to have a salad for dinner tonight in your honor. :)

Yesterday's fast went well. I landed at about 600 calories. I was planning on a nice walk today, but we got ice before the snow, so I will have to see if it melts by this afternoon. I might dust off my Walk at Home routine and go a mile or two inside.

Have a great rest of the week! We can all do this!
  • Meghan509
    Hi all!

Rocking and rolling around here! I like it! Congrats on your awesome fasting - Kate and Mama!

Yep, I hear you about kitchen appliances - we are at maximum capacity too. I had to promise to get rid of the slow cooker (it is put away for now ;)) for us to be able to pick up an Instant Pot. LOL

Been perusing all sorts of Keto Friendly Instant Pot recipes and very excited to try some this weekend. For now my guy has been making hard boiled eggs in the Instant Pot and they have come out awesome!

Today we had a luncheon at work. I had a Cobb salad with mixed greens, Gorgonzola cheese, bacon, avocado, grilled chicken, and oil and vinegar dressing on the side. No cake for me!! :D I find it is difficult to track meals eaten away from home. I gave it my best guess. Drinking a lot of water this afternoon and planning to stick to my 1200 calorie limit for the day. Hoping to see some type of a loss tomorrow AM when I weigh in!

Hope everybody has a great rest of the day. See you soon.
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    edited February 2020
    Yikes, been a bit since I checked in with you all. Glad to see you all making progress. I've been a bit under the weather, I've a kidney infection (I've chronic kidney infection due to a irregularity in my one kidney) so last week I just did OMAD (one meal a day) all week. I still have been losing so I can can't complain too much.

This week I've been able to fast a bit more just coming off a 2.5 day fast (Tuesday evening to Friday noon.) I have a social engagement this evening, with drinks, so food isn't optional today. 😂 I'll see how I feel this weekend, but I'm hoping for another day and a half fast, but we shall see.

I'm now within 3 pounds of my lowest weight in the last 10 years (give or take) with no plateau in site yet. 🤞 Really hoping to get 10lbs more pounds off before things start to slow down on the scale. When I first started losing, it seemed like my body shape didn't change much for first 30lbs, but now every few pounds is making a big change. Funny how that works.

Chat soon! ♥
  • Meghan509
    Good morning everybody!

@A_Dabauer congrats on your successful fasts and your loss! Isn't it cool to be that close to your low in the last ten years!? High Five!! Hope you feel better. I can imagine kidney stuff is no fun...

I weighed in this morning and I am down 1.4 lbs. This is just shy of 40 lbs down, since starting Keto on August 5, 2019. :) I am also almost back in the 160's. Two years ago when we went to the Dominican Republic in May of 2018, I weighed in at around 162-164. I hope to be less than that for this year's trip to the Caribbean. That will also be the lowest weight I have been since the early 90's.

We haven't booked our vacation yet, but planning to head back to Jamaica once Jet Blue finally announces their sale. Hurry up already Jet Blue. LOL Definitely something to look forward to, that is for sure.

Hope everybody has a nice weekend. I will check in with you guys soon. Take care.
  • KateNkognito
    I started laundry, made pancakes and didn't break my fast. (Maybe a couple little nibbles ;) ) Now, I am going to take a shower, run errands, and then clean the house. This place is a mess!

@A_Dabauer Congratulations on the loss! I hope you feel better! That is no fun.

@Meghan509 I am so jealous of your vacation! I am absolutely planning to head to the Caribbean in a few years when the kids are gone. :) Congrats on the loss, too!

All these people hitting record lows is inspiring! We can all do this! Have a great weekend! Happy Fasting!
  • A_Dabauer
    A_Dabauer Posts: 212 Member
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, @Meghan509 and @KateNkognito I'm sure I'll be feeling great in no time.

So jealous of a vacation, though I do get to go to Las Vegas in two weeks for "work," I'm sure I'll be enjoying a bit more than a typical week of work. LOL. This will be my first time being away since starting fasting. I've told myself that if I maintain for that week, that will be a huge win! Still kind of formulating my game plan for the week fasting/feasting wise. But think it's going to look something like this, complete fast on my travel days, and 18:6 (ish) on the other days. I'll skip breakfast, eat lunch and dinner. I'll try to keep it low carb, but also keep it balanced with enjoying myself.

One thing I've learned over a lifetime of dieting is you need to balance life with your diet. Weight loss benefits aside, that's the thing I love most about fasting is the flexibility to change your day or your week around your social engagements without feeling like you've "fallen" off the wagon. You fast a bit more prior, or after and it frees you up to enjoy events and activities that include food. :)
  • mamainthekitchen
    Last time I weighed, before Christmas, I was 157.4 .... I just weighed and now I’m 161.00..!!!!! I’m going backwards people! Geez! Gotta give it time I suppose. ‘Cause just mayyyybe I was 163 last week and didn’t even know it!!? Soooo, yes gotta find a sneaky way to pat myself on the back!! Next week I’ll weigh again on Friday and hopefully will be heading in the right direction!!

Sorry to hear kidney issues @A_Dabauer that must be scary to deal with. Am wondering, when you’re not fasting, if you avoid those foods on the no-go list for kidney patients; avocados, bananas, whole wheat/brown rice etc... there’s a whole list of them..? Just curious. Hope you feel better!!

Meghan you’re on target! A whopping 40lbs!!! Weightloss Queen!! I think Jet Blue is just waiting for you to be in the 160’s so the sale is right around the corner!! Hope you enjoyed your very fresh salad! ;). I actually bought some seeds yesterday and I’m going to try growing a few veggies from seed this year!! (I’m a beginner gardener, so this may be a disaster)

Kate I told my son to vacuum the upstairs yesterday since I was so busy and it’s “reading week” so he’s home... I went out with the dog and come back to the couch pulled away from the wall while he’s vacuuming all around and under things.... hated to not tell him I don’t move the furniture when I vacuum, so I just let him know he was doing a good job and left him to it!! Hahaha poor guy, he actually thinks I’m that thorough every time I vacuum!! Haha ......Oh, and ps: the kids really never leave and if they do, they can come back... book your trip!!! ;)

Hello to Orlcam!!!! Hope all is well down there!

Waving hi to all those reading...
    Have a great weekend and happy Friday!!

• KateNkognito
    @mamainthekitchen LOL! Could you please send your son to my house?

@A_Dabauer That is the thing that has kept me coming back to fasting. I love the flexibility to let it fit into my lifestyle and then slowly make healthier choices to add to it.

Yesterday's fast was a bit of a flop. I started feeling gross in the evening, so I had some Ramen and some cheese. That put me higher than a fast, but still a low-cal day. I skipped breakfast this morning to make up for it. I have hormones going on, so I am not expecting a loss tomorrow. But, after 4 fasts next week, I am hoping for a really good loss. Enjoy your weekend!
  • loulouowens
    loulouowens Posts: 103 Member
    Hi all

Hoping I can join u?

I did my first fast day ever yesterday, consumed 500cals I started Thursday at 17:00 and ended this morning at 9am (40hours) I didn’t find it too hard, which was a relief!

So today is. “Normal” day and so far so good, although I have tummy ache, I think I may have been a little too greedy :)

Can I ask some questions? Today is a normal day for me, and tomorrow will also be a normal day, should I still try to go 16 hours between finishing eating today and starting eating tomorrow? Or doesn’t it matter as long as I do my 36 hours fasting twice a week?

Thank you :) x
  • KateNkognito
    @loulouowens Welcome to our group! Congratulations on your first fast! In answer to your questions: whatever works for you. The 5:2 as described by Michael Mosely says to eat normally on the 5 days. BUT, a lot of people do shorten their eating window on non-fast days. That is kind of the best part of fasting, you get to make it fit your lifestyle. Ask any questions you have. Look through the posts at the top of the forum. Welcome to our group!
  • mamainthekitchen
    Welcome @loulouowens !! I echo what Kate said in that fasting can be done to suit your needs. Do check out the 5:2 documentary by Mosely, link is on our first forum page at top. There are a few different ways to fast. Some people choose 20:4, 18:6, or 16:8... or any combination with best fasting results happening after 16hrs. There is some controversy over fasting longer than 24 hrs, so just do your research to see what you believe is right for you. During eating hours you should stay within maintenance calorie counts for best results. Then the 5:2 method (which was this forums original title) is quite easy in that for 5 days you eat at maintenance and choose two non consecutive days to eat 500-600cals for the day with no time restriction, so what works best may be to fast until 2pm then have a yogurt or something small, then save 400 cals for dinner and you’re done! (that’s what I like, but others save their 500 cals for one dinner). The kicker is to eat enough protein the day before and don’t fast so long that you binge the next day!! It’s sometimes a breeze and other times so very difficult! Others add keto in the mix and have great results but again, your choice....we’re here for you!!
    Ask away..

Mama