Muscle pain after workout

cgcrutch
cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
Any tips on how to prevent or remedy muscle pain after a workout? My legs are KILLING me, mainly front of thighs from biking. The pain was so bad I couldn't sleep. I did alot after having been sedentary for a while, but I don't think I pushed myself so hard that I should be in so much pain. Appreciate any advice for before and after care!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Magnesium and salt help me for muscle cramping particularly.

For regular DOMS, hot bath or ice (or alternate), anti-inflammatories like aspirin or ibuprophen, light working out of that muscle will help with circulation and speed healing, but light like 10 min of walking every few hours or some similar timeframe...plus stretching after the light workout, or foam rolling if you are comfortable with that.

DOMS peaks around 48 hours, so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.
  • cgcrutch
    cgcrutch Posts: 223 Member
    It definitely got worse last night, but today feels fine! Gonna make sure I don't push myself like that again, at least for a while
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    You can keep pushing hard, your body will adapt and the DOMS will be less over time even with the same amount of push - it's when changing exercises that they will come back again.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    Magnesium and salt help me for muscle cramping particularly.

For regular DOMS, hot bath or ice (or alternate), anti-inflammatories like aspirin or ibuprophen, light working out of that muscle will help with circulation and speed healing, but light like 10 min of walking every few hours or some similar timeframe...plus stretching after the light workout, or foam rolling if you are comfortable with that.

DOMS peaks around 48 hours, so it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.

^^^ all this. Also try upping your protein.
  • 2busyb
    2busyb Posts: 23 Member
    Hot/cold creams like BioFrezzz and drinking BCAAs. I am able to stay in ketosis as long as my bcaas aren't made with non keto sugars.
  • ploomka
    ploomka Posts: 308 Member
    And try to make sure you’re eating enough!! Ugh I’ve been having a hard time hitting my calorie goals and I’m healing slow as a result. I’m just not hungry enough.